If You Were GM - What Would Langenbrunner's Fate Be?

92 members have voted

1. 1. If You Were GM - What Would Langenbrunner's Fate Be?

• He was a baby last year, but he's a good captain, no action taken
    • Last year's tirade derailed our playoff run, trade him now
    • Keep him, but give his captaincy back to Elias or to Parise
    • He's so important and such a good captain, re-sign him ASAP

On Langs: I think waiting and seeing is the best thing to do. He's done some great things as captain, especially when Marty was hurt, but he's also fvcked up royally. Lemaire was a bigger problem, but Jamie was hopelessly immature. Hopefully, Johnny Mac works better with him, because I don't love the idea of replacing Jamie and keeping him on the roster, and it sounds like Lou has no desire to trade him, even if he would agree to it.

On Elias: Sutter was a d!ck to him. He handled the replacement terribly, taking the c away and giving it to no one because Jamie was hurt. I don't think Elias was a terrible captain, and he definitely deserved better than he got from Sutter. That said, Jamie did a better job until the end of last season. I don't like the idea of stripping the C from Jamie and giving it back to Elias. That's a disaster in the locker room waiting to happen, especially considering how tight Parise is with Jamie.

I don't get bashing Elias either, though. He's a grinder, who plays through pain, and has dealt with position changes without complaining. Sarge had no choice -- he had a roster spot because he was flexible. Elias is a star, the franchise scoring leader, and could easily have complained (Johnny Mac did), and landed another job. Especially because he's still producing better than Johnny Mac. He's not Stevens as a leader, and he's probably not as talented as Zach, but he sacrificed stats (and probably money) to make the team better, and he's always been supportive of everyone on the ice, even when Jamie took his C. People trying to find issues with him need to give him a break.

On Langs: I think waiting and seeing is the best thing to do. He's done some great things as captain, especially when Marty was hurt, but he's also fvcked up royally. Lemaire was a bigger problem, but Jamie was hopelessly immature. Hopefully, Johnny Mac works better with him, because I don't love the idea of replacing Jamie and keeping him on the roster, and it sounds like Lou has no desire to trade him, even if he would agree to it.

On Elias: Sutter was a d!ck to him. He handled the replacement terribly, taking the c away and giving it to no one because Jamie was hurt. I don't think Elias was a terrible captain, and he definitely deserved better than he got from Sutter. That said, Jamie did a better job until the end of last season. I don't like the idea of stripping the C from Jamie and giving it back to Elias. That's a disaster in the locker room waiting to happen, especially considering how tight Parise is with Jamie.

I don't get bashing Elias either, though. He's a grinder, who plays through pain, and has dealt with position changes without complaining. Sarge had no choice -- he had a roster spot because he was flexible. Elias is a star, the franchise scoring leader, and could easily have complained (Johnny Mac did), and landed another job. Especially because he's still producing better than Johnny Mac. He's not Stevens as a leader, and he's probably not as talented as Zach, but he sacrificed stats (and probably money) to make the team better, and he's always been supportive of everyone on the ice, even when Jamie took his C. People trying to find issues with him need to give him a break.

I just want to be clear regarding Elias. I agree with what's said here. He has been loyal.

I also agree that Sutter could have handled it better - but it wasn't cause Patty's a European -it was inexperience with dealing with pro players - which was Brent's biggest flaw.

I just don't see Elias demonstrating a strong enough case to necessitate RIGHT NOW the chaos that stripping Jaime would cause in the locker room.

I also wonder if he's still a $6M dollar player - which I guess is another question entirely..... for a different debate.

I also wonder if he's still a $6M dollar player - which I guess is another question entirely..... for a different debate.

When he's healthy, playing the right position, and with a competent line, I think he's a steal. Look how well he did 2 years ago when they still had Gio. The real question is can an aging hockey player with hepatitis stay healthy?

:unsure:

If I'm GM none of those responses would enter my mind.

I would not seek to get rid of any talent as proven as Langenbrunner's. That does not mean I'd never part with him however.

It's a team. Everything is malleable based on given circumstances.

I tend to be of this line of thinking now that some time's passed. If someone wants him and is willing to give up a decent return, then of course we should listen. But I don't think he should be actively shopped either. His fit last year notwithstanding, he's been everything a team should want in a captain - it's not his fault that Scott Stevens is the high water mark in that regard.

I'm sorry but I can not excuse his behavior last season. Being in a leadership posistion myself I can tell you nothing derails a teams performance like a whiney leader ESPECIALLY one that has been around as long as Langenbrunner. What if he disagrees with J-Mac this year? Are we gunna have a repeat performance? I voted trade him but maybe I should have selected to take away his C. Losing him would hurt the ZZpops line... guys still got talent.

It is a tough choice for sure.

I see peoples' objection with Jaime speaking out.

So here's another question - was it his comments to the media that is the sore point? Public dissent?

What if it was his feeling to voice the feelings of the players?

Is it the Captain's duty to voice the pulse of the men - or fall lockstep in with the coach regardless?

There is a long history of coach/player tension with this franchise.

Opinions?

I see peoples' objection with Jaime speaking out.

So here's another question - was it his comments to the media that is the sore point? Public dissent?

What if it was his feeling to voice the feelings of the players?

Is it the Captain's duty to voice the pulse of the men - or fall lockstep in with the coach regardless?

There is a long history of coach/player tension with this franchise.

Opinions?

I didn't have a problem with him speaking out, I have a problem with his play. IMO he took shifts off and skated like someone who wanted the season to end. I blame Lemaire a lot, and he has every right to complain -- arguably, speaking out is showing leadership -- but he also needs to get his team ready to play, and skating every shift like it's his last is a good way to start. Teams with the Devils' talent have won despite their coaches before, though it's not easy. The Devils always seem to blame their coaches, and, while I'd like to see us solve that problem by hiring the right coach, the players, especially the captain, need to take some of the blame.

There are valid points on both sides of the argument.

Would say that if the opportunity came about you sell *HIGH* since he is a proven solid right wing who also gained notoriety as USA captain.

Yes, if he is having personal problems that are affecting his game and attitude... do us all a favor and move him!

that being said, the devils are not as deep at Right Wing... Lou might not want to move him for that reason alone.

I think it would be cool to see Elias get the "C" again... Sutter was a total prick for taking that from Patty... he would be a great interim Captain until Zach gets a shot.

I'd put a lower case "c" on Lang's jersey, the "C" on Elias's jersey, a "C/A" on Parise's jersey and a C/A/P on Kovy's jersey.

Don't worry about my C/A/P

What I would do with Langs depends on what I could do with the other players who are talked about in trades. If he's on the team, I wouldn't strip him of the C. Between half a dozen news players, new coach and all the uncertainty going on regarding who'll be traded, I don't think the team needs more "drama" with a new Captain being named should Langs stay on the roster.

Edited by Marshall

What I would do with Langs depends on what I could do with the other players who are talked about in trades. If he's on the team, I wouldn't strip him of the C. Between half a dozen news players, new coach and all the uncertainty going on regarding who'll be traded, I don't think the team needs more "drama" with a new Captain being named should Langs stay on the roster.

+1

Getting rid of him wouldn't be a catastrophe, stripping him of the c would be.