Do you think Marty is going to be Lou's successor as GM?

Jerzey

I just have a feeling that once Lou decides to retire, Marty is going to be the man to fill his shoes. It somewhat makes sense too. Not only is he a hero in NJ, but his family is already here. He seems to have a pretty big voice in the organization already.

But is this a good idea? Do you think Marty would make a good GM? If not Marty, then who do you think will get the job? Someone else within the organization or will they go outside the org?

I know this is still a little ways off but not too far. Lou's pushing 70. I'm sure he doesn't want to do this for too much longer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have a feeling that once Lou decides to retire, Marty is going to be the man to fill his shoes. It somewhat makes sense too. Not only is he a hero in NJ, but his family is already here. He seems to have a pretty big voice in the organization already.

But is this a good idea? Do you think Marty would make a good GM? If not Marty, then who do you think will get the job? Someone else within the organization or will they go outside the org?

I know this is still a little ways off but not too far. Lou's pushing 70. I'm sure he doesn't want to do this for too much longer.

I think it's very unlikely. It seems like Scott Stevens is being groomed for the position. Marty has very good hockey sense, but idk how that would translate into be a GM

I think it's very unlikely. It seems like Scott Stevens is being groomed for the position. Marty has very good hockey sense, but idk how that would translate into be a GM

I see Stevens behind the bench. Not that I don't think he would make a great GM but I think he's more of a hands on type of guy.

Why would we think Marty is going to be GM? What possible information could we go by to evaluate if he'd do a good job or not at it?

Marty is no Garth Snow. :whistling:

Just speculation. Marty seems to be very involved in the organization. I don't think he'll be done when he retires. Then again, I never thought I'd see Yzerman take a job anywhere outside of Detroit so you never know.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Lou won't retire until he dies. He will still try to run the team from the grave. I think Stevens will be the next GM, and I think he will be a good one. As far as Marty goes, I can see him kinda disappearing for awhile after he is done playing. I think he will be in Montreal for the majority of his time. I would love to see him step into a front office role with the Devs, but I am not sure how likely that is.

Edited by ThreeCups

I think it's a good possibility. Brodeur is quite different than most hockey players. He often states he is a student of the game, and you can see he means it because he knows much more about what's going on around the league than most players do. He is very knowledgeable of players on other teams, and he likes to get involved in any capacity he can (competition committee, etc). Also, despite my love of making fun of the dumb look he usually has on his face, I think he's a very intelligent person.

As far as doing other things after he retires, I don't believe he will quit hockey because it really defines who he is. It's not just a career for him.

Lou won't retire until he dies. He will still try to run the team from the grave. I think Stevens will be the next GM, and I think he will be a good one. As far as Marty goes, I can see him kinda disappearing for awhile after he is done playing. I think he will be in Montreal for the majority of his time. I would love to see him step into a front office role with the Devs, but I am not sure how likely that is.

Stevens has rate-limiting characteristics... top one being he's uncomfortable making big decisions. He likes to be liked. it WILL affect his judgement at some point. Look at that YouTube video of him getting all defensive about the Willis hit -- a GM is given too much time to make the tough call. He'll kill himself. Coach he'll make the right call in the moment and torture himself afterward (or vice versa) like Larry. Larry Robinson that is.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Gosh, I hope not... I don't think that Marty would make a good GM. He seems like a good student of the game, but I am not sure he has the right personality. I see Stevens as a more likely candidate, but who knows.

I'd rather see Marty be involved with the NHLPA and/or league offices. Marty has a deep respect of the game, and other players in the league. He'd be my choice for that type of work.

It's quite simple.

Lou will refuse to die.

He'll get himself fitted for a Darth Vader suit if he has to. :evil:

Chris Lamoriello is a figurehead, nothing more. Most AHL GMs are, given that the parent club supplies the players. Every once in a while you have to rustle up an injury/callup replacement from the ECHL, but beyond that, an AHL GM is basically a glorified scout for the organization. The only AHL GMs that aren't useless are the ones that double as an assistant NHL GM and the ones with teams where the parent lets them sign a few free agents of their own (Hershey's Doug Yingst comes to mind).

According to some people, Marty already is the GM.

I can see him disappearing for a while after retirement. He likes his privacy, but eventually I'm sure he'll be back in the game. I can't see him as a GM though, not for a very very long time.

And I expect Lou to retire in the next 2-3 years. This whole Kovy thing can't have sat well with him.

My money is on Marty working for the Habbies in some capacity once his playing days are over.

Doubtful. He has stated many times that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal because of the pressure there. I'm sure it's even worse being the GM. Plus, I think his loyalties are pretty firmly rooted in NJ for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Amberite