Do you think Marty is going to be Lou's successor as GM?

Jerzey

Doubtful. He has stated many times that he wouldn't want to play in Montreal because of the pressure there. I'm sure it's even worse being the GM. Plus, I think his loyalties are pretty firmly rooted in NJ for the foreseeable future.

I don't see Marty being GM in Montreal but it's certainly possible he would accept some other position.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any particular reason why you think that?

Sure one reason, look at the success/track record he's had at the minor league level, the guy is a joke. It's a perfect example of the blind leading the blind in the Devils minor leagues organizations. Thankfully the NHL club doesn't share the same success.

Neither Brodeur or Stevens is qualified to be a GM for a major league hockey team. When Lou retires....(which may be the day after Brodeur leaves), the door will hit his son on the way out as well.

This. When Lou leaves, it's not Lou's decision who takes over... it's Vanderbeek's or whoever owns the team at that point. Unless Lou stays on as president but not GM (which I just can't see... he's well documented as a control freak) there will be a new era. And I seriously think it's the same time Marty retires.

I just have a feeling that once Lou decides to retire, Marty is going to be the man to fill his shoes. It somewhat makes sense too. Not only is he a hero in NJ, but his family is already here. He seems to have a pretty big voice in the organization already.

But is this a good idea? Do you think Marty would make a good GM? If not Marty, then who do you think will get the job? Someone else within the organization or will they go outside the org?

I know this is still a little ways off but not too far. Lou's pushing 70. I'm sure he doesn't want to do this for too much longer.

John MacLean, especially if he has a good run as a coach. Let's not forget Chris Lamoriello though.

Chris Terreri has also been with Lou Lamoriello since Providence, so that's not far fetched either...

This. When Lou leaves, it's not Lou's decision who takes over... it's Vanderbeek's or whoever owns the team at that point. Unless Lou stays on as president but not GM (which I just can't see... he's well documented as a control freak) there will be a new era. And I seriously think it's the same time Marty retires.

I'd imagine Vanderbeek trusts Lou so why wouldn't he take his opinion and at least let it have considerable weight in the decision?