Do you think Marty is going to be Lou's successor as GM?

Jerzey

I believe that Lou will handpick his successor, but honestly he has not had any thought on that issue yet since I think he will be the GM for another 5-8 years. Who knows what happens during these next few years, maybe there is a good leader emerging that is capable of being GM. I would say this, it will not be Lou's son Chris nor would it be Marty or Scotty Stevens. I see someone like a David Conte, since he has a huge influence on Lou in the player personnel area and has turned down numerous GM openings in the past due to his loyalty and dedication to the Devils organization. Maybe Steve Pellegrini, who is Lou's salary cap guru. These two are likely the front-runners if Lou would call it quits after this year, which won't happen. IF its someone outside the organization, I would go with Martin Madden, who leads the Ducks scouting department and John Weisbrod, who was once the River Rats GM.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To say that Lou is going to decide who is going to decide who the next GM is, is wrong. Saying that he won't have any say is just ridiculous.

Why is that ridiculous? If there is no change in success over the next 2 or 3 years, and Lou retires, ownership may decide they want to add someone from outside the organization. It's their right, and it's not out of the question. I'm saying it's a possibility as we have no idea how the next 2,3,4,5 years will pan out.

This. When Lou leaves, it's not Lou's decision who takes over... it's Vanderbeek's or whoever owns the team at that point. Unless Lou stays on as president but not GM (which I just can't see... he's well documented as a control freak) there will be a new era. And I seriously think it's the same time Marty retires.

I can see Lou staying on as President to select his replacement if nothing else. I'd think if it was Chris he'd want to take ensure he was capable of not putting the family name to shame. Or he could just point and laugh, shaking his head like Bush senior. I also don't see his retiring with Marty -- that's a HUGE cop out! It's like saying "Yeah...it IS all about one guy after all :giggle:"

I can see Lou staying on as President to select his replacement if nothing else. I'd think if it was Chris he'd want to take ensure he was capable of not putting the family name to shame. Or he could just point and laugh, shaking his head like Bush senior. I also don't see his retiring with Marty -- that's a HUGE cop out! It's like saying "Yeah...it IS all about one guy after all :giggle:"

The only reason I say the Marty thing is because part of Marty's handshake deal with Lou on the extension a few years ago was that Lou would stay until Marty retires. I mean, he's pushing 70... retirement has to be on his mind to an extent.

But damn, it'd make it a lot easier to see 'em both go if it's after a Cup... :evil:

Why is that ridiculous? If there is no change in success over the next 2 or 3 years, and Lou retires, ownership may decide they want to add someone from outside the organization. It's their right, and it's not out of the question. I'm saying it's a possibility as we have no idea how the next 2,3,4,5 years will pan out.

Again, to say that Lou will pick the next GM is wrong (Maybe you'd rather I phrase it: To say that ownership won'tpci the next GM is wrong). To say that Lou won't have a say is just ridiculous.