2001-2002 part deux?

Blackjack

It took the 2002-2003 Devils 6 months to lose consecutive games in regulation.

It took the 2003-2004 Devils 5 games to lose consecutive games in regulation.

I'm sorry, but this season has 2001-2002 written all over it. I'm no fairweather fan, so I'm not going anywhere, but at the same time I see no point in going ballistic every time the team loses. I think I'm just going to have to get used to it.

As for why this is happening, I can only offer a theory. Last year I was proud of the team because they succeeded despite an obvious lack of talent. I loved how they used leadership and hardwork to overcome the disparity and relyed on each other. But this year the jig is up. Everybody is gunning for The Devils because they are the defending champs, and the talent level is just too low to withstand it. I think the exact same thing is happening to Anaheim.

I don't even know if we're going to make the playoffs this year, in 2001-2002 we had a lot more talent: Sykora, Holik, and Arnott. If we do make the playoffs, I suspect clawing into the 5th or 6th seed and a 1st or 2nd round exit. A lot of things can happen between now and the playoffs to change that, but barring a major turnaround, that's just what it looks like to me. These are not your typical defending Stanley Cup Champs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again it's still early, let's wait some things out here. We still have a key player out in Stevenson, our D is still learning each other. We have some new lines that have never been together and lines that won't remain together when Turner comes back.

The Lineup with Turner is better than without.

Langer-Rupp-Freez <--I imgaine this line will be reuinited

Pando-Madden-Stevenson <---Uses it size more to hold leads and forecheck

Brylin-Larionov-Rasmussen/Gionta-Solid Fourth Line

Elias-Gomez-Marshall <--Although I would still like to see a trade made to get a "scorer" instead of Marshy. Love ya Marshy, but you're not this line material. IMO.

Defensively

Stevens needs to wake up. He just hasn't played well. Raf and Nieder have been good, but Raf needs to be steadier defensively. Whitey has played fine so far. Now, Hale and Martin have made their mistakes, as they are rookies, now this is teh question. Do we keep them and use them in tough games, and presumably the playoffs.

Pretty much I want some stability in the rotation of the D. Have a pair and stick with the pair and rotate that way. I still like to Hale/Albelin, Martin/Brown.

People SHHHHHHHHHHHHHh... dont you know your opinion doesnt mean anything if you dont have 3,572 posts. Were always wrong while Roughdraft, NJDevil, Zamode ect. always right. Other then that downfall great site.

They complain about us complaining about the team not doing well... dont they realize there even more annoying complaining about us complaining?

People SHHHHHHHHHHHHHh... dont you know your opinion doesnt mean anything if you dont have 3,572 posts.  Were always wrong while Roughdraft, NJDevil, Zamode ect. always right.  Other then that downfall great site.

They complain about us complaining about the team not doing well... dont they realize there even more annoying complaining about us complaining?

Civil War

Round 1...Ding!

Edited by JesterDevil

People SHHHHHHHHHHHHHh... dont you know your opinion doesnt mean anything if you dont have 3,572 posts. Were always wrong while Roughdraft, NJDevil, Zamode ect. always right. Other then that downfall great site.

:blink:

I hope its like 2001-2002; I'd put up with a terrible year this year to win the Cup the following year!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (after all, I harbor the thought that #3 shouldn't be retired), but I think peope get annoyed that some feel if this team doesn't win every game, boast a 50 goal scorer and have 4 lines that run perfectly that changes need to be made... and right now. We all want thiss team to win, but I want them winning in the payoffs, not October. We just won it all, give the guys some slack until they right the ship.

Edited by SC Devs Fan

People SHHHHHHHHHHHHHh... dont you know your opinion doesnt mean anything if you dont have 3,572 posts.  Were always wrong while Roughdraft, NJDevil, Zamode ect. always right.  Other then that downfall great site.

Where was this mentality insinuated anywhere on this board? No one here, especially the posters who have been here longer like RD and myself, said others are not allowed to post opinions--that is what this board is for. You are allowed to say this and I am allowed to counter it if I don't agree with it.

I suggest you use a spell check and get your Underoos out of their knot before you make wild accusations. :evil:

so what if they don't repeat last year....so what if it's a rebuilidng year. with what the team has accomplished in the last 10 years, i can live with a few "off" years, if you even want to call this season off already. you know that lou is going to get this team back to contender status....lou knows how to win championships, it's just a matter of time before the devils win another one.

I wouldnt lump Zam into the mix...(albeit Im a fan of hers) however, 783 is right. Heck, the people who are making threads just to say when is all the whining going to start, are more annoying then those who are complaining about the Devils losses. At least its those posts are about hockey, not pansy-ass preemptive crying. Bottom line is simple folks, you dont like the thread topic , DONT read it, and if you do, DONT whine.

Mind you, I am not worried at all about how this team is performing, I havent said one word. Yet there is an "air" to this forum which stifles opinions that dont mesh with a certain few ...and you all know its true. You all know, those self-annointed Hockey gurus, whose opinions are no more valid then those they bash. At times this place resembles more of a Tuesday night coffee clotch, then a hockey forum. During slow times (i.e. the summer) someone left a post titled saying ..."someone post, we wont bite" ....how telling that is.....

Edited by SpeakoftheDevil(s)