Gionta to be next Canadiens captain

RSC

They have a couple of guys who could have worn the 'C', but Gionta was clearly the fan favorite and the one the fans most expected to get it. I'm sure he'll wear it well, and he's got a great report with the media up there as well.

And it's nice for the Habs fans who've been waiting for a season to get the 'C' on someone, they don't have to watch three Assistants skating around for another full season ;)

man, i wonder what they're going through.... oh wait...

lol

Great for Gio he learned from a great organization and leadership. Has a Hab Captain ever been an American?

Chelios in 90 was the co captain with Carbenaou or however you spell his last name, but he was the first non-canadien, koivu was the first non-north american

so gionta will be the first full time, solo, american captain of the Habs

Great for Gio he learned from a great organization and leadership. Has a Hab Captain ever been an American?

Chris Chelios was a co-captain in 89-90. Before that - No one.

Aside from that, Saku Koivu was the first non-Canadien to wear the "C".

Edited by ben00rs

Chris Chelios was a co-captain in 89-90. Before that - No one.

Aside from that, Saku Koivu was the first non-Canadien to wear the "C".

:whistling:

Not to be a dick or anything, but you really shoulda read jagknifes' post before you hit "Add Reply" :evil:

Congrats Gio! Still one of my favorite players

+1

Congrats to the Rochester Rocket!

Still, it will be kinda weird to see him wearing a C at first (never imagined him as a captain... Not saying he won't make a good one, just saying it might be weird... Maybe it's his size and the fact that I never really viewed him as a leader on that veteran-loaded New Jersey team).

Frankly, reading that Gio will be captain in Montreal makes me think... just give the f'n C to Parise already. We've had plenty of guys come through the organization that have been "captain material" with other teams, but they never got the "C" here because they lived in the shadow of one of the greatest captains ever (or maybe because we've had such a wishy-washy coaching situation). Now we have a guy who could be the next great Devils captain, yet he doesn't have the "C" yet. Get a damned long term deal done, and pin the C to his chest. Give the team some stability in the locker room.

• 2 weeks later...

So, not only did the Habs make Gionta their Captain, they took the "A" away from Gomez, and gave it Hal Gill. Evidently they didn't think Gomez' effort was consistent with someone who wears the A full time for the Bleu, Blanc, Rouge. Gomez is wearing the "A" against Buffalo tonight, but only because Gill is out of the lineup. True story.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/roster.htm