Rally to Restore Sanity

squishyx

Just a pointless video:

Most people have probably heard the term "Keynesian" at most once in their life in a basic economics course in high school X number of years ago. This is no different then when the Man Show convinced dozens of women to sign a petition to "end womens suffrage". It's funny but ultimately proves nothing other than you can trick people by being clever with words.

I know. Was just being snarky, and figured I'd throw one of those Jay-Walking type videos in response to the conservatives are stupid comments you see all over the place.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh? will this rally? or you? welcome to the board.

The point of the rally was this...

Too often in our society we see people reflected in the news holding rallies, and demonstrations demonizing politicians both on the left and right side of the house calling each other terrorists, nazi's, hitler, etc. They make outlandish claims about how this side is going to destroy America, or that side is going to destroy America. What Stewart and Colbert wanted to do is show that the way America is portrayed on the news is not how we are.

They wanted to show we are not divided, that were are not racists, that we are not in a class warfare, that we do not believe our leaders are Hitler, or Stalin, and that we continue everyday to grind out our existances together... united. This should be common knowledge but unfortunately the waters have been muddied by our 24/7 news media conglomerates trying to fill time slots by injecting fear, and doubt into our minds and why? Because fear gets ratings.

The rally to restore sanity was an effort to re-allign peoples perception of their society to what it actually reflects, and not what the news media wants you to believe it is.

The point of the rally was this...

Too often in our society we see people reflected in the news holding rallies, and demonstrations demonizing politicians both on the left and right side of the house calling each other terrorists, nazi's, hitler, etc. They make outlandish claims about how this side is going to destroy America, or that side is going to destroy America. What Stewart and Colbert wanted to do is show that the way America is portrayed on the news is not how we are.

They wanted to show we are not divided, that were are not racists, that we are not in a class warfare, that we do not believe our leaders are Hitler, or Stalin, and that we continue everyday to grind out our existances together... united. This should be common knowledge but unfortunately the waters have been muddied by our 24/7 news media conglomerates trying to fill time slots by injecting fear, and doubt into our minds and why? Because fear gets ratings.

The rally to restore sanity was an effort to re-allign peoples perception of their society to what it actually reflects, and not what the news media wants you to believe it is.

thats beautifully written - it doesnt change the fact we need jobs or that sanity was seemingly restored to about 1/4 of a million mostly democratic, affluent, white, young americans who make up the majority of stewarts/colberts audience...

were there many 'legalize pot' signs about?

thats beautifully written - it doesnt change the fact we need jobs or that sanity was seemingly restored to about 1/4 of a million mostly democratic, affluent, white, young americans who make up the majority of stewarts/colberts audience...

You are bitching that the rally was a waste of time because it didn't create jobs. That was never the intended result. You might as well complain that the rally was a waste of time because it didn't cure cancer.

the organizers thought this rally would restore the image of america (or make more money for their shows) -- their idea of the image represented about 1/4 of a million mostly democratic, affluent, white, young americans ... I would have rather they held a rally to restore jobs thats all... cause above sanity, thats what america needs right now.

No there weren't too many pot-based signs...but there were definitely a few. But really more that there were a few that had kind of "undertones" but few direct pot-based signs. Definitely smelled it toward the beginning.

the organizers thought this rally would restore the image of america (or make more money for their shows) -- their idea of the image represented about 1/4 of a million mostly democratic, affluent, white, young americans ... I would have rather they held a rally to restore jobs thats all... cause above sanity, thats what america needs right now.

Well, I don't think that was the point of the rally (to restore the image of America or make money). I think it was genuinely to try to enlighten people a little bit as to the deep slant of the media, and to try to restore people's ability and motivation to compromise. Obviously, they have so little to do with the political process, and his audience was pretty much all democrats anyway, so it was really just more of a symbolic rally than anything else.

I really wish there could have been a rally to restore jobs...whatever that would entail...but I don't think that America can get through the next 5 years totally intact without restoring some of its sanity. Realizing that we don't have to be so divisive on issues like spending on services and lowering taxes and all of that...just realizing your opponents are people too that are reasonable, and trying to work out a compromise to get there. America voted their frustration yesterday and it means even more that we'll have to reach across the aisle to get through this. To create jobs, we have to reduce taxes and allow corporations to start hiring again. Then again, increasing the public sector also creates jobs. But someday we're going to have to fix the deficit, and I hope it's not completely passed down to my generation, which is already feeling crazy financial burden from a sizeable wave of student loans and social security benefits that we might never see. So restoring the sanity of Americans--all Americans--is a step toward compromise, which is a step toward regrowth, which will create jobs.

Yes the rally was naive, but I think anyone who went (myself included) learned a lesson that it would benefit all Americans to learn. Especially those in Congress.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.