Devils Preseason on TV?

Quinn01

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Devils used to be blacked out on ESPN, it was because the Devils were being broadcast on another channel, such as FSNY or (shudders) Metro. We aren't being broadcast so I don't understand the reasoning behind the blackout but I have a feeling there is something in the contract with Cablevision regarding preseason games.

FFS its 2010

I have that channel and I never see Flyer games. Comcast here is for the NY region not PHI region. South Jersey perhaps but not north Jersey.

Well yea, but to answer all the questions, i know that the Devils Flyers game will be hosted on comcast philadelphia, and if its on there just watch it online at www.hockeywebcasts.com .... that site has had rookie games for teams so im pretty sure it'll have the preseason games...as long as Devils games are broadcasted on any sort of TV Channel then it will be on that website, and i cant wait to see Kovy dominate!!

When the Devils used to be blacked out on ESPN, it was because the Devils were being broadcast on another channel, such as FSNY or (shudders) Metro. We aren't being broadcast so I don't understand the reasoning behind the blackout but I have a feeling there is something in the contract with Cablevision regarding preseason games.

FFS its 2010

Same here.

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation?

Same here.

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation?

I'll try.

Games are rebroadcast on NHLN all the time. We can catch Pittsburgh Penguins games various others. We will never see a Devils game on NHLN because they don't have exclusivity like VS does.

My feeling is that Cablevision, which owns the TV rights to the Devils, isn't broadcasting the game and therefore isn't seeing any type of revenue. With that in mind, they won't let a Comcast broadcast of their own TV property go forth.

In football they black the games out of the local area when the game is not sold out. The thinking is if you can't see it on TV and you live close enough you will buy a ticket and drive to the game, creating more revenue for the team. Maybe the thinking is the same here.

Devils need their OWN network and channel. Something like the old sports channel days....... A channel just like the yankees have. Something that shows nothing but Devils pre season, regular, playoffs. All Devils.

There was talk they'd sign on with Yes --- I just wish they were all on channel 9 WWOR secaucus NJ but those channels woudl rather show One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl and other teenage serials that aren't as good as Buffy

Do you think it's that easy just to create a RSN? I do agree that overflow & sh!t like that is annoying, but i don't see any option. Becuase of the merger a few years ago with the yankee operations to start that network.. nets will be on YES for a while which will keep the devils off.

But something that can happen is if Sterling would purchase the Isles, thed be right on that network

Edited by robdeselich88

So just for the hell of it I e-mailed Bill Daly. Not thinking he'd answer... but I basically asked him why the NHL announced that the game would be blacked out to us Devil fans here in North Jersey... he actually responded:

bdaly@nhl.com

to meshow details 8:44 AM (1 hour ago)

Mr. Timoni - The short answer to your question is that the NHL Network does not have the right to telecast a team's games into its home territory where the exclusive broadcast rights in that territory are owned by another broadcaster -- in this case the MSG Network. This is true even when the local rightsholder is not itself telecasting the team's game. Having said that, we do work with the various broadcasters (sometimes with success, sometimes without) to keep games from going "dark" where they don't have top. That's also the case here. Hope that helps. Bill

So like him or not... he actually gets to the office and first thing in the morning responds to e-mails from fans. That's pretty good of him.

According to @MSGnyc the game will be webcast on msg.com