Mottau to the Isles

jagknife

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not good, I was hoping he was a cheap and good backup option for the Devils. It wouldn't surprise me if he was waiting on the Devils while the league offered him 1 year deals but then the Isles went to 2 years he felt he had to say yes.

Well I am sure this is the case. I know he was holding out. There was talk that he was going to sign with the Devils again, but when you are being put on the back burner day after day, and finally someone steps up and says here come play with us and its more then a year, Its either you take it and play or risk not playing at all the upcoming season.

I understand where he is coming from. At the same time, he doesnt have to move very far from what family he has around in this area.

Watch him step up his game for the Isles and play really well this season. I always thought he was a decent defenseman when he was in red.

bleh this sucks. mottau would have been a good addition. i'm trying to think of very cheaply signed defensemen who might be up for trade somewhere and i can't think of any.

sundstrom: money's a pretty simple reason. mottau isn't that much worse than those guys, and there's an argument that he's better than salvador. he'll probably only cost $3 million or so over the 2 years, and even that i doubt.

bleh this sucks. mottau would have been a good addition. i'm trying to think of very cheaply signed defensemen who might be up for trade somewhere and i can't think of any.

sundstrom: money's a pretty simple reason. mottau isn't that much worse than those guys, and there's an argument that he's better than salvador. he'll probably only cost $3 million or so over the 2 years, and even that i doubt.

To your first point: At this point I think it's guaranteed Corrente or Urbom will get a shot.

As for the Isles taking Mottau - I think Mottau is a better replacment for Streit than Salvador would be and that's what the Isles were looking for.

on the downside, people need a new scapegoat. the rookies are obviously going to make lots of mistakes, but they'll be blameless for at least a year (since they have so much 'potential'). volchenkov's at least going to hit people, so he's out. tallinder, maybe? i guess colin white's going to have to do double-duty this year.

on the downside, people need a new scapegoat. the rookies are obviously going to make lots of mistakes, but they'll be blameless for at least a year (since they have so much 'potential'). volchenkov's at least going to hit people, so he's out. tallinder, maybe? i guess colin white's going to have to do double-duty this year.

i honestly think with a different partner than Mottau, White's play will be better. Most of the time his minuses came from plays where he was aggressive and mottau failed to compensate.

often times, their mistakes were compounded by not being aware of what the other was doing and not adjusting accordingly.

What a shame. It's no secret here I admired MM.

This guy is the very NJ definition of lunchpail. A character guy with a lot of heart, thankful to be playing, who worked his way out of the AHL with limited ability.

Compare this guy's ATOI to his salary and its easy to see his value - his only problem was being put in situations way above his head.(Folks expecting a TOP 4 guy from a league minimum signing).

He would have added great depth on a 3rd pair here if kept in check.

Its a shame that some folks could never seem to see him for what he was - a depth player bringing value equivalent to his salary.

I just hope the NYI don't have any delusions about him filling Streit's top minutes consistently. It would be a shame to see him set up to fail again.

I'm curious to the numbers and what it may say about his value per $$$ vs. the Salvador contract (and why NYI seems potentially uninterested).

The fact that he has been signed by a club prove that he does bring some level of value to a team.

The big question is who will be SD's 2010-2011 team goat now???????????????????????????????

Edited by DevilinLA

i honestly think with a different partner than Mottau, White's play will be better. Most of the time his minuses came from plays where he was aggressive and mottau failed to compensate.

often times, their mistakes were compounded by not being aware of what the other was doing and not adjusting accordingly.

by aggressive do you mean go for a big hit and put yourself out of position and leave a 2 on 1 against your D partner?

I can totally see how that Motts fault.

Joe

Ahhhh, so you're one of those "I hate Colin White for that one play he made last year I don't care about the amount of solid plays and toughness he brings to our club" people. Bye!

1 play? if it was once I'd be fine with it. It has been happening for at least 3 years. He is not the same defensman he has been in the past(eye injury). Never said I hate Colin White.

If White is playing too aggressive(thus putting himself out of posistion), don't blame his partner.

you're one of those 'Colin White can do no wrong casue he brings tougness to our club' people. Bye!. (see I can be just as imature as others if that's how you want to discuss)

Joe

He already has that figured out, seeing as his sources told him that Mottau would be signing with the Islanders 4 days ago, he just waited to tell us.

Ahhhh, so you're one of those "I hate Colin White for that one play he made last year I don't care about the amount of solid plays and toughness he brings to our club" people. Bye!

You are a fan who is all about nostalgia and love White because of how he played 5 or 6 years ago. Ever since his injury he is terrible, always out of position, and never fights or checks because of his injury. Yeah, he brings real "toughness" to the team.

I'm one of those "Colin White is a big part of our defense" people. He mostly played against top lines last year, and still looked good. He's big, he isn't afraid to hit someone (like Applesauce was), and he brings a lot to this defense. A hell of a lot more than Mottau did.

Are you seriously saying that White still hits people? I can barely remember any time in the last 3 years that he has laid out a big hit on anyone like he used to. Sorry, but you are thinking of White circa 2004.

Just because people are pointing out White's shortcomings doesn't mean they hate him. White takes himself out of position a lot, and he cannot keep the puck in the offensive zone. Just because I say that doesn't mean I hate him. I just don't think he is the defenseman he was or the defenseman that earned that contract years ago (before the injury).

Hahahaha you're not still suspended? You're a fan who is all about box scores and always notices the bad plays but doesn't care to watch when he is in position (which is most of the time), when he takes the body (which is most of the time), and when he is the best defenseman for us on the ice (which, by the way, isn't a very infrequent occurance).

Am I the only one in this thread who watched the playoffs last year?

Now this has turned into an argument about Colin White. Which is useless because those who argue that Colin White isn't any good don't know enough about Devils hockey or hockey in general or how to measure how good a defensmen is. Sure, there can be debate as to how good White is - but to say White is bad is just plain wrong.

You don't have to read between the lines to figure this out:

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/8/18/1630247/how-colin-whites-defensive

Edited by ben00rs