Devils to Zajac: Just shoot it!

Rock

zajac has already centered one for 2 years. i don't think it's an issue, and that line could be broken up 5 games into the season. i also don't think net presence or faceoffs have very much to do with why zajac isn't a top offensive center.

Well, Parise could be performing a lot better and would have a lot more assists if he was playing with a center who was a presence in front of the net.

But hey, if your right about the affect of zone starts, then maybe they just need more of those - and I'm not mocking you there, IMO it's entirely possible.

zajac has already centered one for 2 years. i don't think it's an issue, and that line could be broken up 5 games into the season. i also don't think net presence or faceoffs have very much to do with why zajac isn't a top offensive center.

i might be pushing an issue that's not really being discussed, but zajac definitely does not get enough credit around here.

Perhaps you're right. I give him credit for taking his game to the next level a couple of years ago, but I doubt there's another level. It would be great if there was.

tri - did i try to argue that zajac was a top 10 center in the league the other night? i think that was one of our conversations. you immediately said no but then we sort of left that conversation before we totally agreed there were 10 better centers in the league than him. when you add in his salary, i'm certain he is.

tri - did i try to argue that zajac was a top 10 center in the league the other night? i think that was one of our conversations. you immediately said no but then we sort of left that conversation before we totally agreed there were 10 better centers in the league than him. when you add in his salary, i'm certain he is.

That's a whole different convo. Including salary Zajac is top 10 in the league no doubt. He plays first line center and excellent defensive hockey for a 3.89 mill cap hit.

Well, Parise could be performing a lot better and would have a lot more assists if he was playing with a center who was a presence in front of the net.

But hey, if your right about the affect of zone starts, then maybe they just need more of those - and I'm not mocking you there, IMO it's entirely possible.

lol having a center in front of the net would do nothing for him. He doesn't have a good enough shot for it to matter

I was talking about Parise not having a good shot. Parise can't overwhelm a goalie with a slapper like travis can

There are other ways of scoring in front of the net than redirecting pucks. Having a big, strong center in front of the net is something the Devils could really use and have lacked for years. If Parise was playing with a dominant center his production would be much higher. I like Zajac, he is a terrific player but he hasn't been a terrific center.

There are other ways of scoring in front of the net than redirecting pucks. Having a big, strong center in front of the net is something the Devils could really use and have lacked for years. If Parise was playing with a dominant center his production would be much higher. I like Zajac, he is a terrific player but he hasn't been a terrific center.

I disagree with that. Zajac's faceoff percentage is always over 50%. He always backchecks hard and is good at it to boot. Zajac is one of the more underrated two way centers in the league

You're confused. No one is arguing any of that.

You said he hasn't been a terrific center. Look a the top centers in the league. Crosby, Backstrom, Malkin, Stamkos, Mike Richards. Out of those 5, which ones stand in front of the net? I guess our interpretations of "terrific centers" are different

You said he hasn't been a terrific center. Look a the top centers in the league. Crosby, Backstrom, Malkin, Stamkos, Mike Richards. Out of those 5, which ones stand in front of the net? I guess our interpretations of "terrific centers" are different

Your last post commented that Zajac back checks hard and is a very underrated two-way center. No one is arguing that. Zajac is a terrific player and probably should have already been a Selke candidate,

I also didn't say anything about "standing in front of the net". The argument here was whether Zajac is a good player or an excellent player. I took a side route and said he is excellent but... I also didn't say he couldn't be an excellent center.

I know what Zajac's face-off numbers are - everyone does. Zajac hasn't been that great at faceoffs, he's just been good enough. As a center, Zajac hasn't been dominant and hasn't taken pressure and attention from other teams off of Parise.

What do you think about that name

The UCANRUSH line

U for USA (Parise)

Can for canada (Zajac)

RUSH for RUssia (Kovalchuk)

Tell me your impressions ( im a french guy so sorry for my english

Nice, original. But usually line names need to be short so that they can be said quickly during broadcasts. UCANRUSH has too many syllables. Oh, and your english is fine ;)

Good is not good enough?

If I said "very good," you're alright with that?

I think you're splitting hairs, but like I said before, there's no guarantee that the three of them will click.

Good is not good enough, when better is expected.

Lou Lamoriello.

You should know that by now Jerry...

Your last post commented that Zajac back checks hard and is a very underrated two-way center. No one is arguing that. Zajac is a terrific player and probably should have already been a Selke candidate,

I also didn't say anything about "standing in front of the net". The argument here was whether Zajac is a good player or an excellent player. I took a side route and said he is excellent but... I also didn't say he couldn't be an excellent center.

I know what Zajac's face-off numbers are - everyone does. Zajac hasn't been that great at faceoffs, he's just been good enough. As a center, Zajac hasn't been dominant and hasn't taken pressure and attention from other teams off of Parise.

First time I read through the thread I took it that you were knocking Travis for not being a presence in front of the net as well. Many of Zachs goals occur becasue he is near the net, and Zajak being in front of the net wouldn't necesarily make Parise more productive.

My opinion is that Zajak has to shoot enough to keep the defenders honest. I much rather have Kovy or Zach shoot, but you need the make the defenders at least worry about that option. Hasn't been a problem in the past, lets see how it pans out.

Joe

Nice, original. But usually line names need to be short so that they can be said quickly during broadcasts. UCANRUSH has too many syllables. Oh, and your english is fine ;)

Yeah i think youre right but the ZZPOP line was three syllabes too... But thanks for your impressions :P

First time I read through the thread I took it that you were knocking Travis for not being a presence in front of the net as well. Many of Zachs goals occur becasue he is near the net, and Zajak being in front of the net wouldn't necesarily make Parise more productive.

My opinion is that Zajak has to shoot enough to keep the defenders honest. I much rather have Kovy or Zach shoot, but you need the make the defenders at least worry about that option. Hasn't been a problem in the past, lets see how it pans out.

Joe

I didn't say anything about standing in front of the net. Just that the Devils could use an imposing force in front of the net at times. It would take more attention off Parise which has been a problem (aka the Flyers series). I'm not really knocking Zajac for anything just stating what kind of player he is.