Devils' power play is area of concern

Rock

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/10/devils_power_play_is_area_of_c.html

On paper, the Devils have a power-play unit that should rank among the best in the game.

“We should be in the first five in the league, definitely,” Ilya Kovalchuk said.

So far it has been far from effective. The Devils, who host the Islanders tonight, have scored just one power-play goal in 14 attempts through their first four preseason games.

That has to change.

We won the game on tuesday why was the PP a problem?

I thought our PP looked good the past couple pre season games...... Just that MOST fans only see the stat sheet and not the actual play behind the stat sheet... The PP is only a problem when we lose games, not if we are winning.... to me the PK is more important the the PP. If we can out score the opponet 5-5, than the PP is not a factor, simple as that.... you do not live and die with the PP.... IN 2003 we had the worst PP in the league and won the cup.

Jeez, starting with these "woeful powerplay" articles already? Chere realizes it's the pre-season and the Devils haven't played a game yet where they've utilized their projected two PP units, right?

Oh wait, probably not.

Well the PP is a huge focus in the NHL right now. Special temas win games. Its not like the old days anymore where you could go 0/8 on the PP and still win the game

Yes its pre-season but I have a feeling it will be the same during regular season.

One of the question I am asking myself is:We put Kovy on the point or on the LW while on the PP.

if we can score a bunch 5-5 without problems, the PP wont even matter......

I think you are wrong...just watch last playoff castarophy and see by yourself.

Maybe during the season its not the most important thing even if I think that PP goal can make the difference.

But when the playoffs arrive.Everybody plays rough and its not easy to score a 5-5 goal.That's where your PP and special units become very handy.

I think you are wrong...just watch last playoff castarophy and see by yourself.

Maybe during the season its not the most important thing even if I think that PP goal can make the difference.

But when the playoffs arrive.Everybody plays rough and its not easy to score a 5-5 goal.That's where your PP and special units become very handy.

I'm gunna have to QFE on this one. You can get away with a sub-par PP during the regular season but in the playoffs you need a surgical PP to advance.

I think that the point is that it wasn't so good in the last quarter of the season including playoffs.

It's a silly point then. Powerplays are inherently streaky beasts, like anything that has a bit to do with chance. The point being the Devils PP wasn't bad last year, it was pretty decent, and people act like the Devils finished 28th in the league.

quote for emphasisI'm always nervous about the power play but I don't think it's time yet to be alarmed.

I don't know men...I just watch the PP with Kovalchuk,Parise,Zajac,Arnot and Taormina...basically I see the same thing I saw last year in the playoffs and during the regular season slump.

I hope Oates knows what he is doing.

That's just not true. Inevitably a team will spend a good portion of the season on the PP and if they don't do well their season will most likely end early no matter what they do 5 on 5.

It's a silly point then. Powerplays are inherently streaky beasts, like anything that has a bit to do with chance. The point being the Devils PP wasn't bad last year, it was pretty decent, and people act like the Devils finished 28th in the league.

Well you certainly don't want your PP burning out come playoff time. Anyways, I'm just offering the other POV here. The PP didn't really burn out as much as it was in disarray thanks to Lemaire. Either ways with JMac as coach we're starting from scratch.

IMO It's safe to say that if we were 11th in the league last year we will do even better with Kovy out there for a full season.

I don't know men...I just watch the PP with Kovalchuk,Parise,Zajac,Arnot and Taormina...basically I see the same thing I saw last year in the playoffs and during the regular season slump.

I hope Oates knows what he is doing.

The PP is run very differently this year, they don't look similar at all.

The PP is run very differently this year, they don't look similar at all.

I meant the same failing at the task thing...we are not moving the puck well IMO and we lose it to much...we spend 3/4 of the PP regrouping and rushing.

Well you certainly don't want your PP burning out come playoff time. Anyways, I'm just offering the other POV here. The PP didn't really burn out as much as it was in disarray thanks to Lemaire. Either ways with JMac as coach we're starting from scratch.IMO It's safe to say that if we were 11th in the league last year we will do even better with Kovy out there for a full season.

You play him on the point or near the left circle ???

I meant the same failing at the task thing...we are not moving the puck well IMO and we lose it to much...we spend 3/4 of the PP regrouping and rushing.

You play him on the point or near the left circle ???

Left circle. I hate Kovy on the point. He belongs up close to the net.

Left circle. I hate Kovy on the point. He belongs up close to the net.

Me too I prefer having the guy at the left circle since he seems to be creating to much turnovers when he is playing near the blue line.

I think I would see our first PP unit like this:

Kovy-Zajac-Parise

Langs - Greene

As far as I remember Langs have a very descent Hard on target Slapshot.

Probably we gonna end up with Rolston not able to control a pass on the point and slapping into the glass :rolleyes:

Edited by SS-SS