Cap-conscious Devils could carry 'two' few players

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/cap_conscious_devils_may_carry_just_g5n0XZOQtW94FHOcDF6bBP

But they could start the season with 21, including Salvador if injured, and just lop some $2.5 million. Then they'd gamble that someone might take one of their players later in the season, when injuries hit, or prospects prove suspects.

If they keep Mattias Tedenby, Jacob Josefson and Adam Mair and waive Dainius Zubrus, and keep, say, Mark Fraser and Matt Taormina, and waive Colin White, they would be about $1.4 million, plus $500G bonus space, under the cap with a roster of 21.

This is just a dumb idea. IF Salvador has a concussion the cap problems are solved temporarily. Salvador and Salmela on IR means the Devils actually have a lot of flexibility.

On opening night they could field 20 players without trading or waiving anyone. They could use Fraser and Eckford on Defense if our 4th line is Zharkov - Pelley - Leblond. Or, they could play without Zharkov for game #1 and use Fraser and Corrente on Defense. Then, Zharkov can be called up and the Devils can field a 20-man roster again.

You all trust Zubrus too much. He was a sh!t player up until the later stages of last season, I never trust that clown.

Zubrus has done a fine job since he joined the Devils, he has done everything asked of him and has contributed on every line he has played on.

He is solid.

This is just a dumb idea. IF Salvador has a concussion the cap problems are solved temporarily. Salvador and Salmela on IR means the Devils actually have a lot of flexibility.

On opening night they could field 20 players without trading or waiving anyone. They could use Fraser and Eckford on Defense if our 4th line is Zharkov - Pelley - Leblond. Or, they could play without Zharkov for game #1 and use Fraser and Corrente on Defense. Then, Zharkov can be called up and the Devils can field a 20-man roster again.

Zharkov has already been sent to Albany. I believe a fourth line spot is Mair's to lose.

You all trust Zubrus too much. He was a sh!t player up until the later stages of last season, I never trust that clown.

Zubrus has skill it's just if he wants to use it any particular night. When he wants to play he's great. Reminds me of Viktor Kozlov.

Edited by Elias26

Zharkov has already been sent to Albany. I believe a fourth line spot is Mair's to lose.

Zharkov can be moved up and down from Albany to New Jersey at will. He is not subject to waivers. Given the Devils salary cap bind, Zharkov's prior NHL experience, and his extremely favorable contract because his base salary is roughly $550k with bonuses (which dont count to this year's cap) I'm willing to bet he is part of an opening night roster that includes Adam Mair as his centerman.

It's amazing. He used to be a MAJOR whipping boy around here. After every loss there were just Zubrus/Niedermayer/Rolston bitch fests. Now everyone loves the guy cause he looked great in 5 games against the Flyers last year, and everyone's ready to trade the team's captain, who makes less and was part of the top line.

Ridiculous.

Edit: Disclosure - I like Zubrus, I think he's good, but hardly irreplaceable, I'm just commenting on the sea change in opinion regarding Zubrus here.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Zharkov can be moved up and down from Albany to New Jersey at will. He is not subject to waivers. Given the Devils salary cap bind, Zharkov's prior NHL experience, and his extremely favorable contract because his base salary is roughly $550k with bonuses (which dont count to this year's cap) I'm willing to bet he is part of an opening night roster that includes Adam Mair as his centerman.

It's safe to say Zharkov will get a good amount of playing time all through October. I think it's questionable whether he plays game 1 - it depends on A. whether the Devils should play Leblond that night and B. Who gets traded

While Zubrus is a versatily, energetic and hardworking player, he's still a guy who the past 3 seasons put up 38,40, and 27 points respectively. This past season was shortened by injury, but he was on pace to match the previous 2 seasons. These are very consistent numbers, but I don't think they're numbers that warrant a 3.4 million dollars/year, especially since he's been a +2, +6, and a +4 the past three seasons. These aren't great numbers and he's only bettered that +6 from two years ago twice in his career. I don't see any indications that he'll do much better this year than previously in his career. These are 3rd line stats and I think that while he is a consistent forward who works hard, he's 1-1.5 million dollars overpaid. I feel like his role could easily be filled with one or two players who's salaries amount to half of what Zubrus counts against the cap and guys who have the potential to put up similar stats as well.