Was Lou Lamoriello too nice to Pandolfo?

StormJosh

I need to preface this by saying that I absolutely love Pandolfo and that he is one of my favorite Devils of all time(hate Peters). I think Pandolfo was extremely underrated by the NHL for the incredible value that he provided to the Devils for a significant period of time. His play certainly deteriorated in the last few years and I think that Lou was right to let him go.

I think Lou did the right and honorable thing for Pandolfo by buying out his contract and allowing him to look for other NHL jobs. However, I think he hurt the team by doing so. With the buyouts of Pandolfo and Peters, the Devils had to eat $1 million in cap space this year at a time when cap space is very tight. Instead, Lou could have chosen to continue to pay the salaries of Pandolfo and Peters and have them play in the minor leagues where their salaries would come off the cap.

I'm just curious what everyone thinks. Was Lou correct for doing right by Pandolfo for buying out his contract and letting him look for other jobs or should he have done what is best for the team by sending them to the minors. I understand that its possible management didn't want to pay their salaries but I think given the circumstances they would have been OK with it.

Personally, I think in any other year I would hope Lou would do right by a guy who gave so much to the team but this year, I almost wish we could have just sent him to the minor leagues.

I need to preface this by saying that I absolutely love Pandolfo and that he is one of my favorite Devils of all time(hate Peters). I think Pandolfo was extremely underrated by the NHL for the incredible value that he provided to the Devils for a significant period of time. His play certainly deteriorated in the last few years and I think that Lou was right to let him go.

I think Lou did the right and honorable thing for Pandolfo by buying out his contract and allowing him to look for other NHL jobs. However, I think he hurt the team by doing so. With the buyouts of Pandolfo and Peters, the Devils had to eat $1 million in cap space this year at a time when cap space is very tight. Instead, Lou could have chosen to continue to pay the salaries of Pandolfo and Peters and have them play in the minor leagues where their salaries would come off the cap.

I'm just curious what everyone thinks. Was Lou correct for doing right by Pandolfo for buying out his contract and letting him look for other jobs or should he have done what is best for the team by sending them to the minors. I understand that its possible management didn't want to pay their salaries but I think given the circumstances they would have been OK with it.

Personally, I think in any other year I would hope Lou would do right by a guy who gave so much to the team but this year, I almost wish we could have just sent him to the minor leagues.

i think what lou did was right. it doesnt seem right to send someone like pandolfo to the minors who has given so many years to the devils

Edited by grcenter47

given the way things are shaping up now, i'm not sure how advantageous it would've been to have pandolfo playing for 2.5 million in the minors. the devils could've been paying almost $70 million in player salaries this year. it's hard to know what kind of talks lou and kovalchuk were having when the buyout was decided on - there were a lot of things up in the air.

obviously we can say now that we'd rather have pando in the minors, but it was hard to know that back then.

If you want loyalty from players; Marty and others(Pando for was a solid player for years with a smallish salary) taking below market value contracts, playing Danyeko in his last game despite him sitting the few before, prospects spending a year or two more in the ahl then they would in ther franchises.

You have to show loyalty to the players; buying out Pandos contract, Giving pando an over market contract after years of loyalty, giving good soldiers coaching/scouting jobs when their careers have finally retired.

Neal Broten playing for Siberia(where was it again?, western canada somewhere, saskatchawan?) might tend to disagree, but the amount of ex players that have come back to the fold, (even after some messy divorces) shows that playing/working for the Devils isn't the worst thing in the world despite whatever reputation. I'm still convinced that Kovy doesn't even consider the devils no matter how much $$ they threw at him without the trade last year just becasue he saw the orginzation from the inside(although I'm sure bobby holik would tell him exactly how he felt about playing here, good and bad).

Just my, is it 5:00 yet take on a rainy friday afternoon.

Joe

Things like this are why most players hold the Devils organization in such high regard.

Well someone pointed out on HF a while back if the Devils hadn't bought out Pando they could easily have been over the summer cap (ten percent above the regular cap), and at the time they bought him out they didn't know what it would cost to keep Kovalchuk and sign the defensemen they needed - which turned out to be Volchenkov and Tallinder.

So I don't think Lou's motives in buying out Pando were entirely altruistic, he actually needed the $1.66 million in cap space at the time, he wouldn't have been able to wipe Pando's salary off the books until just before the season otherwise. And buying out Peters also saved some change, there was no real reason for Lou to be loyal to him too.

Edited by NJDevs26