David Clarkson

Zubie#8

as long as he doesn't jump ship to toronto, i don't think he will consider anywhere else. he's the poster child devil, he will suck as hard as gomez in any other system and under the lime light.

I think this is a whole lot of the truth, If you can play the low and high slot in this system and chip in those pucks you can pile up goals. Even when you see the attempts at pairing we create goals through an agressive forecheck and a pounding away in front of the goalie. As long as Clarkson can get a shot off before falling he is perfect for crashing the crease.

I think this is a whole lot of the truth, If you can play the low and high slot in this system and chip in those pucks you can pile up goals. Even when you see the attempts at pairing we create goals through an agressive forecheck and a pounding away in front of the goalie. As long as Clarkson can get a shot off before falling he is perfect for crashing the crease.

He's going where the money is...  The owners showed their true colors through the CBA.  There is no need for any player to show loyalty to any club.

1. To read that beaver anal glands are used to make food flavorings--labeled under 'natural' flavorings.

2. That there would be a true stealth fighter you couldn't see. But the F-35 has proven me wrong since everyone who has ordered one hasn't seen a single unit.... they are THAT stealthy.

3. There would be fewer quality Hockey fights on the ice than off. But again, the fight between the owners and players was humdinger. Neither side would go down, it seemed like they just kept wailing on each other. OTOH, I did stipulate quality fights, right? This wasn't so much a quality fight as a sloppy slog with a couple fat bozos.

4. And this is the BIG one: David Clarkson would be 3rd in the NHL in scoring. Now how the hell did this happen?

Well, that's what this thread is really about. I haven't been able to watch many games over the past year what with pregnant/sick wife, house renovation, and two newborn Devils fans needing caring for, but everything I read seemed to indicate last year was a fluke for D.C.? But if that is the case then what is this? He is on pace for something like 36 goals in this strike shortened season! In a full season that would be sweet, in a short season that is monstrous. So for those who've watched more closely, what do we have here? Is he a budding goal scorer? Is this season two of a fluke? Or is he benefitting from some good pairings? Or is it a combination?

For my part, from what little I've seen I'm having a tough time with the fluke argument. Flukes don't usual last beyond a postseason in any sport, IMO. And look at Salvandor's sudden burst of scoring in last years playoffs. He isn't normally much of a scorer a d hasn't put up much this year. Typical fluke. A good fluke, but typical. But it sounds like Clarkson has been a factor throughout the season so far, no? That just doesn't sound flukish.... but maybe I just to believe that. So educate me my friends....

Imagine what he could do if he could skate???

He has improved his skating a lot over the last couple of seasons, and I really don't think I would consider him a bad skater anymore. Look at the power move he made on his first goal in the last game as an example - protecting the puck, maintaining his balance, and firing a high shot over the glove with the defenseman all over him. That's a time when old Clarky probably would have stumbled onto his ass the second the defenseman breathed on him and the puck would have just slid into the corner. He's not fast, but his speed is decent, and he's much stronger on his feet than he used to be. I think the "Clarkson can't skate" jokes need to be put to rest.

• Like 1

Melrose just named clarkson his number one power forward on nhl net. They also mentioned the nhl. Com poll with clarkson #1 Start your bidding at 5.5 per -GMs

I think Lou just plays this one cool and offers a high and resonable offer but walks if things get out of hand. Ultmatly if teams start to throw crazy #s out there you just walk and assume it will turn into a Gomez situation. Clarkson is great here in this sytem and organzation but his game wouldn't translate nearly as well for a teams such as the Penns.

I like David Clarkson, I really do, but for me I didn't like how he kind of disappeared in the playoffs last year. I mean after scoring 30 goals in 80 games, I was expecting him to contribute more than just 3 in 24 in last years playoffs. Hopefully that playoffs was the fluke part, and he will be more consistent going forward. I respect any player who works as hard as he does, and hope his hard work continues to pay off.

I like David Clarkson, I really do, but for me I didn't like how he kind of disappeared in the playoffs last year. I mean after scoring 30 goals in 80 games, I was expecting him to contribute more than just 3 in 24 in last years playoffs. Hopefully that playoffs was the fluke part, and he will be more consistent going forward. I respect any player who works as hard as he does, and hope his hard work continues to pay off.

he had a fractured foot!

He has improved his skating a lot over the last couple of seasons, and I really don't think I would consider him a bad skater anymore. Look at the power move he made on his first goal in the last game as an example - protecting the puck, maintaining his balance, and firing a high shot over the glove with the defenseman all over him. That's a time when old Clarky probably would have stumbled onto his ass the second the defenseman breathed on him and the puck would have just slid into the corner. He's not fast, but his speed is decent, and he's much stronger on his feet than he used to be. I think the "Clarkson can't skate" jokes need to be put to rest.

His ass is always on the ice.  Every shift he goes down.  You can't be serious with defending his skating.  He is the weakest on his skates of any NHL player I have ever seen.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/devils_right_wing_david_clarkson_pays_a_visit_to_hockey_in_newark_program/

Devils right wing David Clarkson walked into the Ironbound Recreation Center
ice rink this afternoon and was greeted by the smiling faces and applause from
the more than 200 youth players from the Hockey in Newark program.

They were showing their appreciation for Clarkson joining the charity’s
advisory board earlier this year and arranging a donation of 50 new sets of
hockey equipment through the NHL Players’ Association’s Goals and Dreams
fund.

“To see their facial expressions today when he walked in was priceless,”
Hockey in Newark co-founder Keith Veltre said. “Ten years ago, these kids in
this community wouldn’t know a single hockey player in the NHL. Every kid in
this room knows who David Clarkson is today. They know him because he’s a
successful hockey player, but they also know him because he’s a part of Hockey
in Newark and the fact that he reached out and got (the NHLPA) to donate
equipment because he believes in them and believes in the program.”

More good work by Clarkie, great to see.

Lol, ok. Whatever.

I agree with you on this. I remember last offseason he was training with a pretty well known skating coach in Toronto, if I recall correctly. Yes, he still ends up on the ice a lot, but that's besides the point. I've noticed a huge improvement in his speed and poise on the rush and along the boards. When he's behind the net along the boards, his play is as slippery to defenders as Parise's used to be. Sometimes he falls to the ice, but many times they can't keep up.

Edited by DJ Eco

they have done nice work in this area and althoguh the overall goal will take time I think projects like this help create the bond with the Ironbound community to the team.

I agree with you on this. I remember last offseason he was training with a pretty well known skating coach in Toronto, if I recall correctly. Yes, he still ends up on the ice a lot, but that's besides the point. I've noticed a huge improvement in his speed and poise on the rush and along the boards. When he's behind the net along the boards, his play is as slippery to defenders as Parise's used to be. Sometimes he falls to the ice, but many times they can't keep up.

Thanks. He falls to the ice because he plays a physical, grinding game against other strong players. Anyone who plays this way is going to get pushed down sometimes. The way some people describe him around here it's like he steps on to the ice and comically slips around as if on banana peels for the whole game. I get that it's an old joke from when he first came up that Clarkson falls down a lot, but I'm really getting tired of the "Clarkson can't skate" circle jerk. It's not true anymore. He's certainly not the best skater on the team but he's fine.

Thanks. He falls to the ice because he plays a physical, grinding game against other strong players. Anyone who plays this way is going to get pushed down sometimes. The way some people describe him around here it's like he steps on to the ice and comically slips around as if on banana peels for the whole game. I get that it's an old joke from when he first came up that Clarkson falls down a lot, but I'm really getting tired of the "Clarkson can't skate" circle jerk. It's not true anymore. He's certainly not the best skater on the team but he's fine.

Agreed... Clarkson has been skating like a beast honestly... anyone who thinks otherwise must not be watching him closely enough because he's been a pleasure to watch in the offensive zone. It's like every time the puck is on an opposing players stick you just see him rush in and I almost always feel confident now that he is either going to impede the player from getting it out of the zone cleanly, if not completely taking the puck away. He's also had a step on many players on the opposition. Honestly, who out there is skating harder and faster than him on our roster right now? Little Gio, Kovy is always up there, but other than that, who? He's been awesome to watch and that's probably a huge part of his continued success.

Agreed... Clarkson has been skating like a beast honestly... anyone who thinks otherwise must not be watching him closely enough because he's been a pleasure to watch in the offensive zone. It's like every time the puck is on an opposing players stick you just see him rush in and I almost always feel confident now that he is either going to impede the player from getting it out of the zone cleanly, if not completely taking the puck away. He's also had a step on many players on the opposition. Honestly, who out there is skating harder and faster than him on our roster right now? Little Gio, Kovy is always up there, but other than that, who? He's been awesome to watch and that's probably a huge part of his continued success.

This. He's always has speed. Having adequate (if unspectacular) balance has turned him into a complete player. Also, he takes a lot of contact. Sometimes he's gonna go down.

His ass is always on the ice.  Every shift he goes down.  You can't be serious with defending his skating.  He is the weakest on his skates of any NHL player I have ever seen.

Hartnell made a career out of that. I'll take Clarkson for half the price and none of the douchery. Clarkson>>>>>>>>Hartnell