David Clarkson

Zubie#8

we all recognize Clarkson is not worth nor capable of playing top 6 minutes without contributing on the offensive side of things. what scares me is it seems as though the coaching staff either is blind to it or is putting him on an insanely high pedestal.

I HATE the way his game has regressed and how he is playing right now. To me, his hockey IQ is that of a bottom-6 AHLer. Not someone deserving of a daily NHL roster spot.

And what, his IQ all just disappeared after last year? C'mon. You don't become stupid overnight.

He needs some direction. And to say, "how come the coaching staff doesn't see it". Did you not read my last post? Do you recall who was coaching when Mike Mottau got this treatment? Lemaire, but no one is gonna sit here and say Lemaire is stupid. It just happens, sometimes it's because you don't have a better option. Not always the coach's fault he doesn't have endless talent at his disposal. And sometimes, when a guy is in over his head, he's gonna not look so good. This is Clarky's problem right now. He goes back to being the 3rd liner who gets the most mins and time on the PP and he'll put in some goals, maybe not 30 ever again, but I have faith that he can be a 20 goal scorer going forward.

It's frustration boiling over, and the fact that Clarkson had his career year last season and was finding the net so often early this season.  Now he's showing signs of becoming the old Clarkson, and coupled with everything else, including Parise's loss being felt, Clarkson is becoming an easy target.  It's just going to take everyone a while to temper their expectations for him back down.  Not to make light of anyone who ever had this condition, but it's almost like the movie "Awakenings".  Clarkson had something like one last season and the start of this season.  Now it looks like that version of Clarkson may never play again, and it's disappointing on some level.  In a way, if he had just started the season the way he's playing now (in terms of offensive contributions), it might have been easier to take...we all could've more easily written off last season as a one-time fluke.  The tease he gave us all at the start of this season had some people thinking he was on his way to being a great story. 

Pretty much.  With DeBoer around I figured AT LEAST he was past the 'Clueless Clarkson' stage of a few years ago.  Not that the goals would neccesarily continue but that he at least wouldn't be as brain-dead as he used to be, and is again.  The fact he's regressed (and so horrendously) makes me give up hope he'll ever be anything more than what he is, a twenty-goal guy with maddening inconsistencies that pretty much cancel out whatever good his goals do.  And worse, he's turned into a finesse player which even Clueless Clarkson of a couple years ago managed to avoid doing.  But now he's 'too important' for that stuff :rolleyes:

It's seriously gotten to the point where I almost don't care if he comes back.  And I've always defended him more than most, at least inasmuch as I've said he's got to stay despite his idiosyncrascies because he brings an element our other forwards don't have.  But if he's just going to remain a finesse player and wants to cash in with someone else then he can go fly a kite.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Clarkson is on this team because of the "intangibles" that he brings. I'm sure Lou is a fan of David Clarkson and wants to keep him on the team.

With that said, however, if we can get something decent in return I would take it in a heartbeat.

People are so quick jump all over anybody when they go cold.  Tis the nature of sports.  I don't hear any more bs about Ovie now that he's on scoring tear again.  While Clarkson is no Ovechkin he is a power forward with great hands who is terrific in front of the net.  If I'm Ottawa I'd I offer Bishop and a first for Clarkson and if I'm Lou I take it because he's most likely not coming back anyway.  The Devils need to get something for Clarkson now.  Ottawa's young core is amazing adding the grit and the hands of Clarkson would be a huge addition to that team.  I expect them to be players for his services this summer anyway.  Why not make a pitch for him now and make a run at this thing.

People are so quick jump all over anybody when they go cold.  Tis the nature of sports.  I don't hear any more bs about Ovie now that he's on scoring tear again.  While Clarkson is no Ovechkin he is a power forward with great hands who is terrific in front of the net.  If I'm Ottawa I'd I offer Bishop and a first for Clarkson and if I'm Lou I take it because he's most likely not coming back anyway.  The Devils need to get something for Clarkson now.  Ottawa's young core is amazing adding the grit and the hands of Clarkson would be a huge addition to that team.  I expect them to be players for his services this summer anyway.  Why not make a pitch for him now and make a run at this thing.

Bishop and a first? Brian Burke was fired you know.

I swear, the next person to get all whiny and crybaby with a stupid, "Our UFA is gonna weave because Pawisi did", I'm gonna go nuts.

THAT IS NOT THE RULE, IT IS THE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE.

If you truly believe that will happen again, I want you to go back through the annals of time to find examples of it, then give me examples of when we either A. Signed a player or B. Didn't make an offer to them, then take the # of examples of people leaving, put that above the number of it NOT happening and then tell me I'm right.

I swear, some of you guys sound like a depressed 15 year old talking about his first gf leaving him. GET OVER IT.

I'd love to see that line as well. Carter and Bernier work hard all the time and create their own chances so they won't be dragged down by the black hole that is Clarkson right now. Frees up Patty and Zajac to be in the Top 6 as well and could get them kickstarted. I'm guessing the lines would look something like this?

Elias-Zajac-Henrique

Zubs-Lokti-D'Agostini

Bernier-Carter-Clarkson

Poni-Gionta-Kosto

I'd probably swap Henrique and D'Ags based on their current play but this is just an idea.

I swear, the next person to get all whiny and crybaby with a stupid, "Our UFA is gonna weave because Pawisi did", I'm gonna go nuts.

THAT IS NOT THE RULE, IT IS THE EXCEPTION TO THE RULE.

If you truly believe that will happen again, I want you to go back through the annals of time to find examples of it, then give me examples of when we either A. Signed a player or B. Didn't make an offer to them, then take the # of examples of people leaving, put that above the number of it NOT happening and then tell me I'm right.

I swear, some of you guys sound like a depressed 15 year old talking about his first gf leaving him. GET OVER IT.

Niedermayer, Holik, Gomez, Martin, Gionta, Parise...  That's just off the top of my head.  I don't get emotionally attached to players. I like Clarkson but I think we should have sold him while we had the chance.

Niedermayer, Holik, Gomez, Martin, Gionta, Parise...  That's just off the top of my head.  I don't get emotionally attached to players. I like Clarkson but I think we should have sold him while we had the chance.

Niedermayer: Wanted to play with his brother.  Nothing that can be done there

Rafalski: Wanted to play in his hometown.  Not much that can be done there

Holik: Got overpaid by the Rags.  See ya!

Gomez: See Holik

Martin: Glass-jaw Paul got overpaid by the Pens: Good Riddance

Gionta: Got overpaid by Montreal and could never live up to his 48-goal career year.  No big deal.

Parise: Wanted to go home and play grab-ass with his bitch-boy Suter.  Whatever as Minn will regret it once he gets older and more injury prone and that contract becomes an albatross

The players that wanted to leave left because they just did and not because LL didn't try.  These guys leaving sucked at the time but looking back I am more often than not glad they left for the reasons and money that they left for.

Niedermayer: Wanted to play with his brother.  Nothing that can be done there

Rafalski: Wanted to play in his hometown.  Not much that can be done there

Holik: Got overpaid by the Rags.  See ya!

Gomez: See Holik

Martin: Glass-jaw Paul got overpaid by the Pens: Good Riddance

Gionta: Got overpaid by Montreal and could never live up to his 48-goal career year.  No big deal.

Parise: Wanted to go home and play grab-ass with his bitch-boy Suter.  Whatever as Minn will regret it once he gets older and more injury prone and that contract becomes an albatross

The players that wanted to leave left because they just did and not because LL didn't try.  These guys leaving sucked at the time but looking back I am more often than not glad they left for the reasons and money that they left for.

Why the left doesn't make a difference...  Good job on your validations.

So you can name 6 players. How many do you think we signed or didn't lose in that time? Context. You can't just rattle off names and say "see, it's true". Where's the context? How many players were not lost? Gionta was never gonna get $5M here and I wouldn't have given it to him either, so that's a totally different situation where I bet Lou said he couldn't match what Montreal was offering.

So you can name 6 players. How many do you think we signed or didn't lose in that time? Context. You can't just rattle off names and say "see, it's true". Where's the context? How many players were not lost? Gionta was never gonna get $5M here and I wouldn't have given it to him either, so that's a totally different situation where I bet Lou said he couldn't match what Montreal was offering.

Significant players draw attraction from other teams.  No one cares about one team's fodder.  There's plenty to go around.  4A players are everywhere.

• 1 year later...

I need to bump this thread so we can all share a laugh and actually agree on something...David Clarkson. Oh my what a freefall this guy has had since the Cup run. When I first made this thread I wanted him off the team during the Maclean season and called him an AWFUL hockey player and would rather have the likes of Pelley Sestito Zharkov or Mr. PL3 himself (did you forget about him) in his spot....then BAM the next season he scores 30 goals and I apologized for making this thread, then fast forward two more seasons and BAM he can only get 12 points in a full season with a salary of close to six million dollars. Oh David Clarkson I take everything back *again* what an awful hockey player you are.

If you want a good laugh read through this thread, there are some gems.

Edited by Zubie#8