David Clarkson

Zubie#8

Preseason? I guess you haven't watched Clarkson since the injury and in every playoffs. He has 2 career point in 20 playoff games. The only reason there is an increase in goals is because of his spike in PP ice time. At his price tag he is trash.

Except he is just starting to make this much money now. So you can't judge his past production based on his current salary. Also, if we judged just about any Devil on their recent playoff performances then almost all of them are "trash" at their price tags.

Clarkson is a good player who will add 35-40 points and a lot of grit and character to the lineup while being a bit overpaid.

However, going so far as to call Clarkson "trash" at his price tag is just about as wrong as it gets.

I say keep him. I buy into the belief that Clarkson wants to be a Devil. Sometimes a player's worth cannot be measured in goals and assists. I like players who want to wear a Devils jersey, want to play for NJ, and want to put their fist through Sean Avery's face.

I say keep him. I buy into the belief that Clarkson wants to be a Devil. Sometimes a player's worth cannot be measured in goals and assists. I like players who want to wear a Devils jersey, want to play for NJ, and want to put their fist through Sean Avery's face.

I agree. And it's not like he's the mascot out there, he can play.

+1.

...especially the last part

THIS ^^

so far theres been 4 videos posted on why clarkson should stay, one was a shootout, one was a breakaway, one was against one defenseman, the other was a random shot,show me clarkson doing something with traffic in front of him, thats when he has no clue :huh: and 95% of the time clarkson will have the puck with traffic in front of him, thats his weakness

Edited by Zubie#8

Thats the thing, we all want that. He has proved that he can do it. He has proved that he can step up. He has said that this season he is expecting to do just that. This is the Devils, you need to have faith, esp when the players say have faith. He came into this team kinda being expected to be a fighter, and he did that. Then he started to show that he has some decent hands. He is still somewhat of a young player. He still has room to grow and he is growing it just isnt happening over night. When you have players like Parise (Who is clearly naturally skilled) Kovie (who is a great player) with someone like Clarkson on the bench, you sometimes expect alot out of a guy that cant produce on the same level. You know what Im saying? Look at Daneyko (Sure he was a Defensemen) but he only had 36 career NHL goals. Thats in 1283 Games.

Side Note: Clarkson had 11 goals last season. Langenbrunner had 19 goals.

Believe In Clarkson, He Will Score.

Edited by Quinn01

Zubrus and Clarkson will work really well together this year, especially if Zubrus can play wing at some point during the year. That 4th vid against the sharks, that was a great example of him backchecking really well there, in case you missed that Zubie. If you're looking for Clarkson to be scoring goals like Kovy or Parise, you're not going to see that every game. I think you're asking that he play outside of his role at times. With a player like Clarky, you need to be happy with any scoring you get out of him, and very happy when he gets those highlight reel goals.

1) Any number of us have complained that this team is too soft. Lost Clarkson, we're Charmin, even with the addition of the A-Train. He needs to cut back on frustration penalties, but we need somebody who'll take the body every shift and drop the gloves when he has to, and that's Clarkson.

2) He's a monster on the forecheck, and a decent backchecker. His skating problems mostly happen in the offensive zone where they can't hurt us, and while he needs to improve his hockey sense, he flat out raises hell. He's the opposite of Elias, who since the hepatitis has relied on brains, but (except in some big games) has protected his body some. Not a dig on Elias, but a TEAM needs different types of players, and Clarkson serves a specific purpose well. He's not making superstar money, nor is he getting first line minutes. He's valuable for what he does.

3) He's worked as hard as anyone to improve. He seems to add a new move every offseason, and seemed to really be putting it all together before the injury last year. Also, when he came back, JL had fvcked with the team so much NOBODY was playing smart hockey, including Zach. To expect a guy with Clarkie's skill set to come back from injury to a disjointed team with a coach who should have retired 5 years ago is crazy. Give him a chance to put it together in a new season with JL when he's healthy before you hate on him for not improving enough last year.

4) I know Lou's looked human sometimes, but Clarkie's young and Lou's had years to watch him develop. I get the feeling Lou knows what he's getting and gave him a smart contract. We should really trust the best GM in professional sports every once in awhile.

Thats another thing he needs to start doing. Hes not a small dude. He needs to start using his size for not just fights but for charging the net. ^^

I mean Clarkson has only been around for 3 years. He is a very very young player. Hes 26 years old.

Parise is the same age and came to NJ in 2005 after being drafted in 2003.

Edited by Quinn01

I've said this many times in this forum in regards to David Clarkson. I like to hang onto guys that have worked their tail off to become an NHL player and want to be with the team that gave them a shot. It's an important element on good hockey teams IMO. Talent is the most important thing for winning, but players like David Clarkson give a hockey team a soul and some color. I think that fans who want him out of NJ don't comprehend that.

I really have problems seeing where Clarkson is THAT physical of a player that you have all mentioned. Yeah he checks and all but when it comes to being tough, he only goes after guys who are smaller than him and I am not counting only Avery.

Also while I know he is not a goal-scorer, to think he will net 20 goals a season is nuts. He will always average around 10-15 as he just does not have the aptitude for goal-scoring.

I really have problems seeing where Clarkson is THAT physical of a player that you have all mentioned. Yeah he checks and all but when it comes to being tough, he only goes after guys who are smaller than him and I am not counting only Avery.

Clarkson is a hard-nosed player but he is more of an agitator than a tough guy.