David Clarkson

Zubie#8

Quite honestly, my first memories of Clarkson are him scoring in one of the games when he was called up because of a series of injuries on the team (it was in March, a few season ago obviously). I was really impressed with his scoring touch there, LOL. So, I was kinda disappointed when he seemingly turned into a not-so-productive goon for a while. I'm glad Petey D. was able to get the best out of him, Clarkie has been nothing short of amazing for us this year and last year, with all the goals, energy and getting under the opponents' skin when necessary. Tough not to like this guy (if you're a Devils fan, of course. Other teams' fans must love to hate him and that's good). Especially after that epic PureHockey commercial this year. :D

Edited by Revan

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go that high.

Then he'll be outta town real quick. He is essentially Lucic Lite (3/18 extension kicking in next year) and will be paid as such. If you have a power forward who can fight and score at his level, you have to hang on to him. Vancouver traded Cody Hodgson to get who they think is the next Lucic/Clarkson.

If we get him at 5/25 as sundstrom suggests, it's a good deal.

I need to vent a little here... :whistling:

As we get closer to the day where we need to be under the cap, all i can personally hope for is to see clarkson traded somewhere else. Im sure there will be a lot of people here who object to this but for the last three years i have watched this player and just sighed everytime he is on the ice. I took the trip to long island last night and could not take it anymore. clarkson has absolutely no hockey sense and last night he just plainly sucked. He slowed down josefson and zubs and just holds on to the puck for an incredible amount of time to just turn it over. Im just shocked that there is very little talk to trade clarkson instead of anyone else. Id rather have rolston langenbrunner salvs zubrus and even colin white over clarkson. Clarkson is the most inconsistent player on this team and he needs to be traded.

...yes clarkson brings some spunk and attitude to the ice but i think leblond and pelley can handle that aspect of the gm :cheers:

throw sestito or zharkov in there and theyll do ten times better than clarkson

zharkovs first season ten assists plus 2 in 40 gms, he will improve, thus my point that he will be better than clarkson, and i like sesito, he looks like a complete player i hope they give him another shot

Those are my thread highlights, especially about Leblond.  Oh and sestito being the complete player, that sir is a classic, although i was just as excited about Zharkov.

Oh well.....

1000498.jpg

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

The thing that impresses me is that many of the complaints about Clarkie were true. He's just such a hard worker he becomes a more complete player every season. By the time he retires he might have even mastered the nuances of skating.

• Like 1

I hated watching Clarkson play 2-3 years ago. I hated his contract. I've not seen many Devils games this year but those stats are unreal given what I thought I knew about him. I guess I was just totally wrong or a skating fetishist. There's more than one way to be productive in the NHL and Clarkson is clearly that.

Well it begins...

I don't particularly care for Clarkson, and I think we're going to see a lot of threads like this now that the man got paid. I think he got overpaid by about a million per year, and fans here will recognize that and make him the new NJDevs whipping boy.

With that said, the guy is big, can hit, and plays hard. He can be disruptive against certain lines and the Devils don't really have anyone else like that. He adds another dimension to the forward corps and I think regardless of his contract he is an asset to the team. I really hope he develops big time this year but I'm not holding my breath too much.

To say Sestito or Zharkov is better is just silly.

Alright I don't sound stupid!

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

He does not even think that! He's just trying to keep 'em off balance.

One day it'll all click and he'll have a massively banner season! THEN he'll think he's an offensive dynamo and everything will go out the window and he'll get a bad attitude and find himself on waivers... I see this coming in the next three years. but it's well worth it. There's a heck of a lot to be said for a certain amount of sentimentality.

This IS what I've thought in the past.  I believe I have amended this in later years.  Personally I think Clarkson knows what he has here.  I mocked someone for calling him a mental midget... but then in the post above I think I underrated his IQ myself.  I hope -- for HIS sake I hope. This organization makes him the player he is I feel... (EDIT:   so it's mutually beneficial and neither side will look to shaft the other in the future)

Edited by Pepperkorn

I think 5/25 would be reasonable for him, honestly. If he keeps playing like this for the duration of the contract I'd day it's money well spent. Especially if Zajac got 5.75m per.

Wow, there's something I never thought I'd say.. 5m per for Clarkson being reasonable

Edited by Devilsfan118

Has slowly become one of, if not, my favourite player for the Devs. Love his intensity and has really stepped up his game since last season. He definitely needs to sign up to another contract and I don't believe he'd want to play anywhere else.

I know Clarky wants to be here. I remember an interview with him that was played during an intermission of a game a couple years ago talked about how he had tried out for a lot of teams and never got a chance until NJ did. I have a feeling Clarky isn't the kind to jump ship just because other teams want him now.

I know Clarky wants to be here. I remember an interview with him that was played during an intermission of a game a couple years ago talked about how he had tried out for a lot of teams and never got a chance until NJ did. I have a feeling Clarky isn't the kind to jump ship just because other teams want him now.

I feel the same way. He seems to be one who has really chugged the Kool-aid. I remember him referring to Lou as 'Mr Lamoriello'. I feel like as long as the Devils offer him a competitive contract, he stays, no problem.

Ryan Malone got 4.5 for 7 years and that was 5 years ago. Clarkson's next contract will probably be something like that. Not sure how the market will look with the cap shrinking though, a lot of teams simply won't be able to bid.

you know... I just can't say his $$ worth.  I really dont think he's on solid ground as far as saving a rough patch with his technique.  For me technique buys contract dollars.  Clarkson is consistently hard working which buys a strong contract. 

This is just not something to even be thinking about on either side right now. I don't think we should even be venturing into this territory.  We should delight in his success but not think anything through as far as the future is concerned.  It's just not time. This - what we have right now - is not something to be thinking about banking on or doubting either for that matter.  Things have to be what they are. it's just got to be enjoyed for hockey's sake - for the sake of the game alone.  It was born out of that, and has to stay that way.  It's not born out of some contract year push, if either side starts thinking that way, it's gone **poof** or thinking about using this to manipulate any sort of situation.. it's far to delicate for that and David Clarkson doesn't deserve to be put in that sort of position by us, an agent, friends, family, or team, you know?