2010 MLB Playoffs Thread

nmigliore

I'm sure some of you Yankee fans will be all doom and gloom about Burnett starting tomorrow, but at least you are facing Tommy Hunter, who pitched to a 4.99 FIP in 22 starts. For the non-sabermetric folk, that's pretty bads, so they should be able to provide Burnett with some good run support. That's Texas' biggest weakness really; they have no quality #4 starter.

Going back to Lee for a second though - lol, hes a got a 34:1 strikeout:walk ratio in the playoffs this year. Nuts.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cliff Lee is simply out of this world. His playoff numbers are not believable. He has never lost a playoff game in his career.

I know everyone is making the jokes about how it's no biggie for the Yanks since he'll be with them next year, but I really hope the Rangers try and lock him up if possible although competiting against the Yankees in terms of $$$ is almost impossible. Can you imagine a pitcher this good possibly being on 5 teams in less than two years?

Edited by devilsrule33

It will be a sad day if Cliff Lee signs with the Yankees. But I don't have much confidence that the Mets, Red Sox, Cubs or whoever else will outbid them.

Lousy for baseball if he does, though MLB has no one to blame but themselves...as much as I hate the Yanks it's not their fault...they play by the rules.

I'd love to see the Mets get him, but I'd also like to see him stay in Texas.

Cliff Lee is simply out of this world. His playoff numbers are not believable. He has never lost a playoff game in his career.

I know everyone is making the jokes about how it's no biggie for the Yanks since he'll be with them next year, but I really hope the Rangers try and lock him up if possible although competiting against the Yankees in terms of $$$ is almost impossible. Can you imagine a pitcher this good possibly being on 5 teams in less than two years.

I still have no idea what the Phillies were thinking when they gave him up. They didn't even get back a decent return from the Mariners either. I mean sure they have Oswalt now, but hes not on Lee's level (but then again, not many are). But could you imagine a playoff rotation of Halladay-Lee-Hamels? That's just insane.

I'd love to see a team like Texas resign him but I think he ends up in the Bronx.

Lousy for baseball if he does, though MLB has no one to blame but themselves...as much as I hate the Yanks it's not their fault...they play by the rules.

I'd love to see the Mets get him, but I'd also like to see him stay in Texas.

What I loved about Curt Schilling ... a Yankee killer who never became a Yankee. If Lee went to Boston, that would be tremendous. Unfortunately for the Sox, they blew a chunk of change on a disappointing John Lackey and extending Josh Beckett. Matsuzaka lingers, also.

You'll never catch me complaining about Yankee payroll. I like the way things are, and I like the black hat that the Yankees wear. It's one of the best things baseball has going for it. But I don't want Cliff Lee to become one of the bad guys.

Did MLB forget they have a replay system? For the record I did think that was a homerun, but its pretty ridiculous not to at least review it.

Edit: LOL more controversy. That ball was definitely foul.

Edited by nmigliore

It most definitely was fair. Hits right off the pole.

What? They've shown a bunch of replays. It was foul.

Edit: Okay it was closer than I originally thought, but it still looked foul. I don't think it changed direction. The zoomed in replay can be very deceiving.

MLB.com has a picture that makes the Cano HR look controversial too, though you can't see the ball: http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp

Point is, even if you want assume both calls were incorrect, at least it evens out.

Edited by nmigliore

TBS just showed another replay of it when Berkman was up. Eh, it still looked foul to me, and nobody in the booth seems to think it hit the pole either. I need to see more of the zoomed-in view. If it did hit the pole, at least its an eye for eye, as I think that Cano homer might have been incorrect.

Tommy Hunter is already out of this game, not even through 4 innings. Yeesh.

Edited by nmigliore

Rangers just caught a huge break - that one pitch vs Swisher hit the bottom of his pant leg, but the umpire didn't notice it. I have no idea what Ron Washington was thinking with that match-up anyway, but he really lucked out on that one.

And as I'm typing this, Texas is just launching bombs off of Mitre. What a shot by Cruz. This game is over. I wonder if Ron Washington will still manage to do something stupid like put Feliz in this game.

Gotta give credit to Derek Holland; Tommy Hunter gave the Rangers garbage and Holland managed to hold the fort for 3+ innings. And of all people to get the huge hit, its Bengie Molina, who was a joke against RHP this year. Baseball is such a funny sport.

Edited by nmigliore

My first betting loss of the post-season. Took the under in this game. Got to give it to the Rangers...they are doing some amazing things.

I'm not ready to count the Yanks out yet.

Philly's offense better wake up. They were very streaky in the regular season and at times looked awful. They got Blanton on the mound tomorrow and then have to face Lincecum in game 5. Not the best pitching situation at all.

Got to give it to the Rangers...they are doing some amazing things.

I loved this team from the beginning. I admittedly pay more attention to the NL since I'm a Mets fan, but when I was reviewing the numbers and such on them before the playoffs, they just stood out as a very well-rounded team who can hit and throw very good starting pitching at you. As you said, the series isn't over yet, but Texas definitely deserves some credit for what they have done so far. I sorta felt awkward about picking them to win the World Series at first, but I'm glad I've stuck by that pick.

And to touch on Cliff Lee for a second - JerryDevil mentioned him already going down as one of the great postseason pitchers; check this stat out:

Career starts in the playoffs with ten or more strikeouts, and one or zero walks:

5 Cliff Lee

2 Bob Gibson

2 Josh Beckett

2 Randy Johnson

2 Tom Seaver

1 David Wells

Cliff Lee has made eight starts in the playoffs.

http://www.lookoutlanding.com/2010/10/18/1760698/todays-fun-fact

Dave Cameron of Fangraphs also gave Lee his due:

Pedro Martinez‘s 1999/2000 seasons are probably the best stretch of pitching in baseball history. His numbers are just hilarious when you look back at them – in 1999, he put up a line of 1.56 BB/9, 13.20 K/9, and 0.38 HR/9, good for a 1.39 FIP. Don’t like the fact that he had a high BABIP that year? Then pick 2000, when his ratios fell all the way to 1.33 B/99, 11.78 K/9, and 0.78 HR/9, but his BABIP was .253, which helped push his ERA to just 1.74.

Regardless of which year you prefer, both are historically great. And if you didn’t get to see it happen, you’re seeing it again with Cliff Lee in the playoffs.

0.38 BB/9, 12.75 K/9, and 0.38 HR/9 through three starts, good for a 0.91 FIP. It’s not like he’s getting all that lucky on home runs either – his xFIP is 1.34. This is Pedro-in-his-prime stuff, but he’s doing it against the best teams in the best league in games that are basically do-or-die. If there have been better performances in playoff history, they aren’t that much better, and they probably didn’t come back to back to back. This is a legend in the making.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/there-are-no-words/

So yes, Lee is absolutely already there as one of the best postseason pitchers of all time.

Philly's offense better wake up. They were very streaky in the regular season and at times looked awful. They got Blanton on the mound tomorrow and then have to face Lincecum in game 5. Not the best pitching situation at all.

Cablevision is stupid so I unfortunately haven't been paying as much attention to this series as I would have liked. Tomorrow is huge for the Phillies. If they don't beat Bumgarner, they'll be down 3-1 on the road with Lincecum staring them down in Game 5. Even with Halladay taking the ball, that's not a predicament you want to be in, obviously.

Edited by nmigliore

Man, good for Texas. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have goosebumps right now. Colby Lewis was just dominant and the crowd was crazy all game. I said it before the playoffs and I'll say it again - Lee, Wilson, and Lewis is a terrific front three, and they can definitely hit enough to beat you. Picking them as my World Series favorite has really made me root hard for them and its great to see them living up to my expectations, at least up to this point. I'm hoping the Giants knock off Philly, but if Philly wins, I'd have at least gotten the World Series matchup correct. Normally I'm pretty terrible with making predictions but its good to see things finally going the right way for me for once. :P

Edited by nmigliore

Man, good for Texas. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have goosebumps right now. Colby Lewis was just dominant and the crowd was crazy all game. I said it before the playoffs and I'll say it again - Lee, Wilson, and Lewis is a terrific front three, and they can definitely hit enough to beat you. Picking them as my World Series favorite has really made me root hard for them and its great to see them living up to my expectations, at least up to this point. I'm hoping the Giants knock off Philly, but if Philly wins, I'd have at least gotten the World Series matchup correct.

I'm just thankful that we aren't rematching last year's World Series. Aren't you? That was tough to watch.

They did it! It's hard for you Yankee fans to imagine what it's like because you consider it your birthright to at least get to the ALCS if not the WS. :-)

I've been following the Rangers since they came here in 1972 when I was 18, and they've never even gotten close to this. Unbelievable! Inconceivable! Amazing!

TEXAS RANGERS - 2010 AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS! WORLD SERIES, HERE WE COME!!!

Edited by Nieuwy25

They did it! It's hard for you Yankee fans to imagine what it's like because you consider it your birthright to at least get to the ALCS if not the WS. :-)

I've been following the Rangers since they came here in 1972 when I was 18, and they've never even gotten close to this. Unbelievable! Inconceivable! Amazing!

TEXAS RANGERS - 2010 AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS! WORLD SERIES, HERE WE COME!!!

First of all... you are getting ONE year of love. Whether you want to accept it or not Cliff Lee is GONE next year. Whether it's with the Mets, the Yankees, The Red Sox, etc Lee will not be wearing Texas colors come spring training.

Edited by msweet
personal attack

First of all... you are getting ONE year of love. Whether you want to accept it or not Cliff Lee is GONE next year. Whether it's with the Mets, the Yankees, The Red Sox, etc Lee will not be wearing Texas colors come spring training.

lol chill dude

Anyway, this is a very intriguing matchup. Both teams have very good pitching, but Texas certainly has the advantage offensively. One has to think that Cody Ross will not keep this streak up. Posey is the real deal though. My girlfriend is from San Jose and I had the chance to go to At&T Park and it was evident how much Giants fans have embraced him. I think he has the potential to be almost as good as Mauer, may sound crazy. I love Vlad and would like to see him get a ring.

Being an Orioles fan, I am so glad neither the Yanks or Phils are playing in the series. It's gonna be good for the league to have other people be in the spotlight (not A rod, sabathia, Tex, Howard, Utley Hamels etc etc.) Bruce Bochy is a hell of a manager and I think he will play a big role in this series........prediction: giants in 6

Thegame346, you are a pissant Yankee fan. Let me tell you what that means, genius. No one cares what you think. You're taking the Yankee loss a little too hard.

What I said was not about the Yankees losing. Who cares... we fvcking won it all last season. This dude is a douchebag and I'm gunna let him know so fvck you dickhead.

What I said was not about the Yankees losing. Who cares... we fvcking won it all last season. This dude is a douchebag and I'm gunna let him know so fvck you dickhead.

You're really not taking it well at all. I'm pretty sure YOU didn't win it all last season. But your batting average was the same as Mark Teixeira's in the ALCS.

I'm not a "dude" or your other kind description. I didn't attack you or other Yankees fans - I stated a reality, that y'all are used to winning, and expect to win, so you can't understand how thrilled Rangers fans are to be in the WS for the very first time. And if it's the only time for a long time, I'm okay with that. And if Cliff Lee is gone next year - big IF in my opinion - then so be it. It will have been worth it.