The Devils *Could* Make A Trade by Tomorrow Night

Triumph

Well, now that we know that no one from New Jersey has gotten waived, the Devils are definitely making a trade. Why do I think this? The Devils gave Urbom and Taormina new numbers. That implies to me that they are staying, for the time being. Furthermore, the Devils' roster has 11 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies. They can't waive Fraser and have him clear in time. Putting Salmela and Salvador on LTIR gives the Devils the needed cap room to operate the team they currently have in New Jersey, but they're a forward short. It doesn't make any sense to operate this way unless someone's getting dealt - it makes literally no sense to keep Fraser, the sparest of spare parts, in this environment.

Strangely enough, with the Rangers subjecting Todd White to waivers, I think our best trade partner is the New York Rangers. If they sent White to Hartford (not a foregone conclusion), and kept Stepan in the NHL, they'd have 3.97 million in cap room, plus with Vinny Prospal likely to go on LTIR, that opens up even more theoretical space. They may want Dainius Zubrus - a Zubrus for Kennedy, White, and Eminger, say. There's ways out of this mess that are beginning to appear.

Edited by Triumph

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when was the last trade between devils and rangers?

we're still waiting for it to happen.

Tri - isn't it by 3:00 today they could waive Fraser to be ok for Friday (assuming they sign Mair)?

I'm still not sure Lou's dealing Zubrus (or anyone) before Friday. He may actually role with this lineup for the weekend.

we're still waiting for it to happen.

Tri - isn't it by 3:00 today they could waive Fraser to be ok for Friday (assuming they sign Mair)?

I'm still not sure Lou's dealing Zubrus (or anyone) before Friday. He may actually role with this lineup for the weekend.

yeah that's a good point, i didn't consider the scenario where the devils wait until the very last second. they have to be cap compliant by tomorrow, i think - that scenario risks mair getting signed out from under us (unlikely).

I don't think anything is going to happen. they capitulated yesterday. the move that needs to be made can still be made after clear day. I just think people don't believe they'll go with 20. they've done it in the past and it's best worst case scenario for now.

well the one thing about going with 7 defensemen is that it makes things a little less terrifying if someone does get dinged up. still, 11 forwards sucks. the good news is that i think the top 9 are all capable of being double-shifted. 10 forwards is fine too, certainly better than 5 defensemen.

Wow, I can't believe someone might not get moved, and we'll still be cap-compliant. Just goes to show how the media and others can warp the truth. I was under the impression a trade was absolutely necessary

It was necessary until Salvador got concussed allowing the Devils to put him on LTIR. It temporarily wipes away his salary cap hit.

They can't waive Fraser and have him clear in time. Putting Salmela and Salvador on LTIR gives the Devils the needed cap room to operate the team they currently have in New Jersey, but they're a forward short. It doesn't make any sense to operate this way unless someone's getting dealt - it makes literally no sense to keep Fraser, the sparest of spare parts, in this environment.

Triumph - please correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think Fraser is subject to waivers. It is my impression that he can be assigned to Albany at any time and doesn't need to go through waivers. In this way, the Devils can move him down at any time they decide to not use 11F+7D and go back to 12F+6D, at any time. If Fraser IS subject to waivers, this doesn't even need to be done by today, they could actually wait until Thursday (to be in time for the Friday game) since the Devils are under the cap now. I don't think this is any indicator of an imminent trade.

Edited by StormJosh

Triumph - please correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think Fraser is subject to waivers. It is my impression that he can be assigned to Albany at any time and doesn't need to go through waivers. In this way, the Devils can move him down at any time they decide to not use 11F+7D and go back to 12F+6D, at any time. If Fraser IS subject to waivers, this doesn't even need to be done by today, they could actually wait until Thursday (to be in time for the Friday game) since the Devils are under the cap now. I don't think this is any indicator of an imminent trade.

No, Fraser is subject to waivers, and re-entry waivers as well. If he goes down, that's the last we'd see of him all year.

I believe there was a minor one in the VERY early Devils days. Or it may have been the very late Colorado days...

I know Barry Beck was traded from the rockies to the rangers. Not sure if that is the move you are thinking of.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/atrplayer.htm?id=8445397

Traded to Rangers by Colorado in exchange for Pat Hickey Lucien DeBlois, Mike McEwen, Dean Turner and future considerations (Bobby Crawford) on Nov. 2, 1979.

Joe

I don't think so. I think with 6 in 9, they're carrying 7 defensemen. Mair's going to either have to wait, or sign an AHL deal for the time being

See but I think the Devils are going to sign Mair by Friday to an NHL contract. I guess that's why I am convinced a trade is coming - IMO Mair is the 4th line center on Friday.

I think the issue the Devils have run into is that teams are asking for Langs and Lou doesn't want to part ways with him

Edited by ben00rs