Taormina and Urbom told they’ll be staying around for now

msweet

How long they will be in New Jersey remains to be seen. But rookie defensemen Matt Taormina and Alex Urbom have both been told they will be staying with the Devils—for now.

“I’m still here and I’m happy about that,” the 19-year-old Urbom said. “I just want to work hard as I can every day and we’ll see what happens.”

“As of right now, they told me to stay, but it’s just something to look forward to, I guess,” said Taormina, who will turn 24 on Oct. 20.

Urbom was assigned No. 29 today after wearing No. 34 from the start of camp. Taormina was assigned Jay Pandolfo’s old No. 20. He wore 38 throughout camp.

That appeared top be a good sign for both young defensemen.

“When your number is changed, obviously it’s something good,” Taormina said. “They like to keep the numbers here low (30 or under) and I finally got down there.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/taormina_and_urbom_told_theyll_be_staying_around_for_now/

I understand why Urbom is sticking around, only the fact that he had a decent season last season in the WHL (12 goals 21 assists) but Taormina?

It just dawned on me, Urbom is taking 29, which was Salmonella's (joke) number last season. So I am assuming he is taking his roster spot. Is Taormina only sticking around to take Salvador's spot until he is healthy enough to come back to regular play?

Edited by Quinn01

I understand why Urbom is sticking around, only the fact that he had a decent season last season in the WHL (12 goals 21 assists) but Taormina?

It just dawned on me, Urbom is taking 29, which was Salmonella's (joke) number last season. So I am assuming he is taking his roster spot. Is Taormina only sticking around to take Salvador's spot until he is healthy enough to come back to regular play?

I don't know about you, but I liked Taormina in the pre-season and maybe a little more than Urbom. I think both would be solid for now as our 3rd pair D, but it is not ideal to have 2 rookies with zero games as the 3rd pairing.

I didnt really watch either of them to be honest with you. I only watched 1 preseason game and went to another due to the fact that it wasnt really televised. From what I saw (only 2 games) they were kinda all over the place, but on the other hand everyone seemed all over the place esp with the rumors floating around the locker room of someone being up on the block.

Urbom does seem the type of player that could step up his game as long as he is paired with someone like A-Train.

I didnt really watch either of them to be honest with you. I only watched 1 preseason game and went to another due to the fact that it wasnt really televised. From what I saw (only 2 games) they were kinda all over the place, but on the other hand everyone seemed all over the place esp with the rumors floating around the locker room of someone being up on the block.

Urbom does seem the type of player that could step up his game as long as he is paired with someone like A-Train.

Yeah both had the same rookie-type play you come to expect in the pre-season. Both looked solid but Taormina looked to be the more offensive-gifted of the 2 while Urbom was a little better in his own end except for that dumb play he did in his own zone at the Rock against the Rags. I can see both being assests if they continue to grow.

I have to admit, after seeing all 3 home pre-season games, I was quite impressed with our rookies and feel our crop of talent is underrated.

Most impressive was Toarmina and most disappointing to me was Tedenby.

Josefson was solid, but a year or 2 in the AHL will work wonders for him in getting him ready for the North American style hockey.

How long they will be in New Jersey remains to be seen. But rookie defensemen Matt Taormina and Alex Urbom have both been told they will be staying with the Devils—for now.

“I’m still here and I’m happy about that,” the 19-year-old Urbom said. “I just want to work hard as I can every day and we’ll see what happens.”

“As of right now, they told me to stay, but it’s just something to look forward to, I guess,” said Taormina, who will turn 24 on Oct. 20.

Urbom was assigned No. 29 today after wearing No. 34 from the start of camp. Taormina was assigned Jay Pandolfo’s old No. 20. He wore 38 throughout camp.

That appeared top be a good sign for both young defensemen.

“When your number is changed, obviously it’s something good,” Taormina said. “They like to keep the numbers here low (30 or under) and I finally got down there.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/taormina_and_urbom_told_theyll_be_staying_around_for_now/

i am happy to see that they are both getting a shot for now. hopefully it works for the best

you're kidding me right? Taormina had 58 pts last yar in the ahl

I don't know about you, but I liked Taormina in the pre-season and maybe a little more than Urbom. I think both would be solid for now as our 3rd pair D, but it is not ideal to have 2 rookies with zero games as the 3rd pairing.

I think Urbom will be paired with Tallinder since I don't see Taormina,Greene,white or Volchenkov being paired with him and Taormina paired with White.

Fraser could be on the move.

Who wants him? I don't see him being trade bait. I think he's worth more to us because he knows the system and seems good in the locker room, but he doesn't exactly have the talent to be in demand.

Who wants him? I don't see him being trade bait. I think he's worth more to us because he knows the system and seems good in the locker room, but he doesn't exactly have the talent to be in demand.

At his contract other teams would take him as a 6. If he was waived he'd be scooped up in a second.

Edited by ben00rs

i don't believe that. there's lots of guys without a contract that would take one for $500,000.

You seem to see Fraser as having no upside though. IMO he's going to be a solid no. 6 for years to come. I think Lou either agrees with that projection or sees him as trade bait...why else would he sign him to a one-way?

You seem to see Fraser as having no upside though. IMO he's going to be a solid no. 6 for years to come. I think Lou either agrees with that projection or sees him as trade bait...why else would he sign him to a one-way?

I believe the one way deal was Frasers request in negotiations so he got a shot at the NHL this year, and was an indication that he would be sticking around.

The Devils have signed restricted free agent defenseman Mark Fraser to a one-year contract, avoiding Friday’s arbitration hearing.

The contract is a one-way deal for $500,000—the league minimum. The sticking point in negotiations had been the Devils’ initial reluctance to give Fraser a one-way contract.

From mr TG back in July.

“More than anything, the main goal was to get the one-way contract,’ said Fraser, who will turn 24 on Sept. 29. “That gives me more insurance and security that I will be here for good.”

there is no such thing as a solid #6. try to think of a defenseman who's played 300 games and has less than 15 minutes a game of ice time. there's a few, but there aren't very many. lou signed him to a one-way because he was being taken to arbitration and probably knew he'd have to do that anyway, plus fraser would've likely gotten a raise.

You don't want a player to be a solid #6. Either they have upside to be a top 2 pairing in the near future, or they are on the way down and give you reliable minutes in the last year or 2 of they carreer. If they are a real prospect you probaly keep them in the AHL getting top pairing minutes plus pp or pk time depending on the skillset.

For all the bitching about JL I thought he did a great job of giving Fraser shelterd minutes, putting him in situations where he could succeed. Does fraser take the next step? I certainly hope so. Maybe he can a little more aggresive this year(just a little snarl to his game).

right now I don't see him as anything more then a #6, but that is also after him not getting much playing time. 15 - 20 games into the season I think we will have a better idea. If he is getting more ice time then last year, perhaps he is being groomed for 2nd pairing. If he is getting mostly heltered minutes agaiin, he is just a placeholder until a better option is found.

Joe

there is no such thing as a solid #6. try to think of a defenseman who's played 300 games and has less than 15 minutes a game of ice time. there's a few, but there aren't very many. lou signed him to a one-way because he was being taken to arbitration and probably knew he'd have to do that anyway, plus fraser would've likely gotten a raise.

What I mean is that Fraser will be a guy who sticks onto the lineup. He is good enough to be in the NHL albeit at the bottom of the depth chart and will soon be able to fill in as a no. 4 if injury occurs.

Point is Lou could have walked away - why didn't he? Even when he knew his cap would be tight this year.

What I mean is that Fraser will be a guy who sticks onto the lineup. He is good enough to be in the NHL albeit at the bottom of the depth chart and will soon be able to fill in as a no. 4 if injury occurs.

Point is Lou could have walked away - why didn't he? Even when he knew his cap would be tight this year.

could have walked away from what? not qualifying fraser is a pretty senseless move, imo. regardless, i don't think fraser will ever be as good as you think. i weep for a devils' team where he is killing penalties. we're talking about a 5th year pro coming off a season where his coach barely trusted him against anything that wasn't a 4th line - that doesn't scream NHL player.

could have walked away from what? not qualifying fraser is a pretty senseless move, imo. regardless, i don't think fraser will ever be as good as you think. i weep for a devils' team where he is killing penalties. we're talking about a 5th year pro coming off a season where his coach barely trusted him against anything that wasn't a 4th line - that doesn't scream NHL player.

Why not walk away? We have Corrente. I guess if Lou didn't think Urbom and Taormina could make it then it does make sense. But that's the only reason.

Listen, I am not one to defend Fraser. He definitely isn't a great d-man. But he is only 24 and he is going to be very strong in a couple of years. He'll always have moments where he just gets beat flat out but an NHL team will always be able to use Fraser in their lineup for his strength - especially when he hits his late 20's.

he's filler - you're totally right. he serves a purpose as a body that could passably be a 3rd pairing guy for 40 games a season. they invented the league minimum for guys like this. if the cap isn't an issue, he's waived (meaning that corrente would have his spot and one of tao/urbom would be in albany).

Why not walk away? We have Corrente. I guess if Lou didn't think Urbom and Taormina could make it then it does make sense. But that's the only reason.

Listen, I am not one to defend Fraser. He definitely isn't a great d-man. But he is only 24 and he is going to be very strong in a couple of years. He'll always have moments where he just gets beat flat out but an NHL team will always be able to use Fraser in their lineup for his strength - especially when he hits his late 20's.

salary cap is why fraser is here. plain and simple.

and you keep making comments about his strength. this isn't a bench-pressing competition. it's the NHL. his strength really has very little to do with it. positioning and ability have a lot and, to this point, i haven't seen much to think that fraser will improve dramatically from what he has been.

salary cap is why fraser is here. plain and simple.

and you keep making comments about his strength. this isn't a bench-pressing competition. it's the NHL. his strength really has very little to do with it. positioning and ability have a lot and, to this point, i haven't seen much to think that fraser will improve dramatically from what he has been.

So are you saying that if Corrente was 500K he'd be up right now and there would be no Fraser? That's some serious foresight on Lou's part as to how bad our cap situation would be.

Again I am not a Fraser fan - I thought Lou should have walked away. And I'm not saying he can just be muscle without skates. What I'm saying is that he is going to be very strong and his positioning and ability are not as bad as they are made out to be. His issues are more about inexperience and confidence IMO. You think he gets manhandled behind the net the way he did in last year's playoffs if he has the confidence to step up and the experience to lessen the pressure?

Edited by ben00rs