Taormina and Urbom told they’ll be staying around for now

msweet

This has to again be one of the most stupid discussions. Cap space, one way contract... who cares? SERIOUSLY -- who cares Fraser Corrente -- it's not even opening night.. there is a full season -- the whole thing is just a non-issue.

Do you guys not do budgeting and stuff? Yeah you make calls based on a little more here or there --- but basically it's just interchangeable parts and even I cannot get that excited about what part is going where at this juncture.

Either side of this argument I'm all "OK, sure - whatever you say because...uhh... you're dull!"

So are you saying that if Corrente was 500K he'd be up right now and there would be no Fraser? That's some serious foresight on Lou's part as to how bad our cap situation would be.

there's a difference between foresight and planning. having a minimum salary defenseman is just good business. there aren't very many of them around the league.

Again I am not a Fraser fan - I thought Lou should have walked away. And I'm not saying he can just be muscle without skates. What I'm saying is that he is going to be very strong and his positioning and ability are not as bad as they are made out to be. His issues are more about inexperience and confidence IMO. You think he gets manhandled behind the net the way he did in last year's playoffs if he has the confidence to step up and the experience to lessen the pressure?

no one thought lou should have walked away - where are these people that said that? i'd be fine with lou waiving fraser after he gets out from under this, or walking away next year if things don't work out. i don't think he's long for this organization, but to non-tender him would just be silly.

Edited by Triumph

there's a difference between foresight and planning. having a minimum salary defenseman is just good business. there aren't very many of them around the league.

But based on your outlook for Fraser are you telling me Lou couldn't find a more responsible d-man for 500K? On one hand you say Fraser is an AHL d-man on the other your implying that he was our best option at 500K.

no one thought lou should have walked away - where are these people that said that? i'd be fine with lou waiving fraser after he gets out from under this, or walking away next year if things don't work out. i don't think he's long for this organization, but to non-tender him would just be silly.

Me. I thought Lou should have walked away. If it's got to be a one way get some new blood in here to try out. Hell, get someone who is less established and sign him to a two-way 500,000 dollar deal. Hell, if he's going to be a 7th d-man get MAB to fill in on the PP and maybe even to play some forward. If you're going with 7 D and 11 F you might as well have a MAB for 550K.

But based on your outlook for Fraser are you telling me Lou couldn't find a more responsible d-man for 500K? On one hand you say Fraser is an AHL d-man on the other your implying that he was our best option at 500K.

there are 9 defensemen making 500k. one of them is rob davison, who is probably worse than fraser. another is derek meech who's passed through waivers twice in the last 3 months. it's not easy to find players who will play for the minimum salary.

Me. I thought Lou should have walked away. If it's got to be a one way get some new blood in here to try out. Hell, get someone who is less established and sign him to a two-way 500,000 dollar deal. Hell, if he's going to be a 7th d-man get MAB to fill in on the PP and maybe even to play some forward. If you're going with 7 D and 11 F you might as well have a MAB for 550K.

who says MAB is willing to play for that much? it took this long last year for him to get signed, and it'll probably happen again, but he signed for much more than $550,000. MAB is also just horrible defensively. he's not the kind of player we need.

Edited by Triumph

there are 9 defensemen making 500k. one of them is rob davison, who is probably worse than fraser. another is derek meech who's passed through waivers twice in the last 3 months. it's not easy to find players who will play for the minimum salary.

So by your logic as soon as we have the room, Corrente comes up and Fraser hits waivers?

who says MAB is willing to play for that much? it took this long last year for him to get signed, and it'll probably happen again, but he signed for much more than $550,000. MAB is also just horrible defensively. he's not the kind of player we need.

It was just an if. I was just saying that if he was a 7th d-man/12th forward it wouldn't hurt to have him despite his terrible D.

Edited by ben00rs

So by your logic as soon as we have the room, Corrente comes up and Fraser hits waivers?

Or he is a part of the package that goes to free the cap space. Cheap young project defenseman, did I mention cheap? Was part of a Jennings winning defense, maybe some team will be fooled.

Joe

Ok let me correct myself Triumph and others by saying that Mark Fraser does not have a future in the NHL - I was wrong about that.

But let me agree with myself that the Devils should have walked away from Fraser. They could have found another AHL-caliber D-man who's better than Fraser to play for 500K.

Ok let me correct myself Triumph and others by saying that Mark Fraser does not have a future in the NHL - I was wrong about that.

But let me agree with myself that the Devils should have walked away from Fraser. They could have found another AHL-caliber D-man who's better than Fraser to play for 500K.

it was one game, and you don't know that. the devils thought rob davison would be better than fraser, for instance, but he almost certainly isn't.

it was one game, and you don't know that. the devils thought rob davison would be better than fraser, for instance, but he almost certainly isn't.

Fraser turned the puck over stupidly and he was out of position all night. I thought he would have improved from last year - not at all. He's not going to make it in the NHL.

Fraser turned the puck over stupidly and he was out of position all night. I thought he would have improved from last year - not at all. He's not going to make it in the NHL.

it was one game and you are completely changing your opinion? that's ridiculous. young defensemen take time to develop, they don't just instantly get better.

it was one game and you are completely changing your opinion? that's ridiculous. young defensemen take time to develop, they don't just instantly get better.

That's not ridiculous. Read back, my opinion before is that he wasn't good but would stick around as a 6. After no improvement, he's not going to make it.