Expect David Clarkson to do more for Devils

Devs4LIFE

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/35478-THNcom-Blog-Expect-David-Clarkson-to-do-more-for-Devils.html

Now 26, Clarkson is primed to make good on the promise many have recognized in him for a couple of seasons. Following a 17-goal performance in 2008-09, his progression was stalled by an injury-plagued campaign last year in which he totaled just 11 goals in 46 contests.

There's a thread about how bad Clarkson is so I figured I'd make one that's not bashing him. I think if he stays healthy and sticks to the simple game then he can be a force out there.

It'd be interesting to see what he can do if he had a real center, maybe after some moves have been made and the season has progress we will see either Arnott of Josefson centering him.

I have always pictured him being that all-out player, always doing something productive.

I just like his personality, so he is one of my fav players.

I like Clarkie too, but so much about players' production depends on role. We have a stacked top 6 this season. Playing on a 3rd line, I'd expect a 15g-15a campaign from this guy.

Assuming Arnott doesn't return after this year, and maybe Langenbrunner too, maybe you'll see Clarkson crack top-6, along with a guy like Josefson.

If that happens in 2011-2012, then there might be cause to expect a bit more, like 25g-25a. But right now, he's a depth casualty. Definitely useful, and I hope he can score some playoff goals, but don't expect dazzling numbers by any means.

I fully believe that this is going to be the season that we all see Clarkson emerge as a skilled player. A lot of people around these boards bash him only because he hasnt been up there competing with skilled players like the ZIP line. Statisticly, David has been slowly pushing himself more and more each season.

Season GP G A Pts +/- PIM

2007-08 NJ 81 9 13 22 1 183

2008-09 NJ 82 17 15 32 -1 164

2009-10 NJ 46 11 13 24 3 85

He played half the games just about last season and had almost as many goals as he did in 09. Not to mention he had half the PIM and over all +3. I think this season he is going to shine. He expects it out of himself, he knows the fans do, he knows that he may be up to be chopped if he doesnt produce and he knows that the franchise itself expects him to step up. He is still a young player, only playing in NJ for 3 seasons, so he has room to improve. I think being surrounded by the players that he is, that alone will push him to become a better player not just physically but mentally.

I, personally, would like to see 20 goals, 16 assists. Then again, I like shooting for the stars. :pray:

Edited by Quinn01

I think I remember him saying in some interview that his goal is to have a 40pt season. I'd love to see that from him, but as long as he can put up 15 goals or so and around the same in the assist column and drop the gloves when necessary, he's met my expectations for his play.

I just dont think people shoudl give up on him. I dont think he's stupid at all. I dont think he's got stone hands.

but we need to find a way to --- show him... that--- he IS missing something.not missing something -- I mean there is something hes not seeing -- he's missing a certain connection with the game -- his sight isn't quite broad enough.

and I'm really glad I'm not in chat right now... :giggle:

Number one thing that bothers me about him easily is his horrendous skating. Constantly losing his balance and losing the puck or falling down because of it.

I'd have to agree that his skating and balance is his weak spot. He definitely has an issue with being pushed over way too easily when skating with the puck or falling over, etc. I don't know why this is though seeing as he must have pretty strong legs to stay on his feet during fights at times, so I don't know if it's a balance issue when he's moving at speed rather than just standing still in a fight or what. I think for a 3rd liner, he is capable of putting up good numbers and still being a decent enough player all around.

Edited by ATLL765

Well then he needs to develop his lower body. He's got girly calves - he's got to find his center and get really firm on the ice... I dont want to pick at him because I dont know what I'm seeing... but he clearly has a few parts out of balance his skating posture is off it's glaring and he's NOT that way off ice.. OK he juts his head out entirely too much... but that's a tension thing too - chicken or the egg.... there's someone out there who knows about this stuff and just needs to help center him on ice

:saddevil: my husband says some guys just dont have that physique -- they're just top heavy... I can't imagine not being able to fix something liek that...I just hate the idea of physical limitations.

Im done with this guy, hes absolute crap, i dont want to hear "he brings energy, i like his character" im done watching this guy attempt to play hockey, he slows down and kills any linemates, i feel bad for zub and josefson tonight they played great but were slowed down by clarkson...trade him waive him throw him on the 4th line, something

Edited by Zubie#8

Im done with this guy, hes absolute crap, i dont want to hear "he brings energy, i like his character" im done watching this guy attempt to play hockey, he slows down and kills any linemates, i feel bad for zub and josefson tonight they played great but were slowed down by clarkson...trade him waive him throw him on the 4th line, something

yeah i mean... why would we want that guy cause he brings energy... he has no hockey sense... also, we got 2 guys mmmm Parise and Kovalchuk i think... im pretty damn sure we got lots and lots of energy.... and A LOT MORE... they can even put the puck in the net once in a while... thats a steal