Devils take offense to defense first

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/devils_take_offense_to_defense_first_mdeJGzHNNTVwQnuyzZpqnO

The Devils are putting the New in Newark, a team that will prosper on its jet-fueled offense rather than the diesel defense that built its reputation.

They will be both the unstoppable force and the moveable object, marking a major change in philosophy toward excitement and scoring as owner Jeff Vanderbeek exerted his influence by the acquisition and signing of Ilya Kovalchuk.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(N)Єverson sounds like he has a boner for this team. That can't be good, can it?

It's disturbing LOL Maybe he thinks we're worthy of being considered a 'real team' now instead of a team that relies on a gimmick (the trap).

I am a bit curious to see what effect this might have on Marty. At the very least it takes a sizable change in mentality to go from, "We're going to protect you with tight defense and you're going to have to allow no more than 2, 1, or even 0 goals for us to win," to, "You're going to be facing a lot more heat now. Don't let the other team get more than 4 goals." Hopefully Brodeur is able take it all in stride, and hopefully there aren't that many 6 to 4 games.

Edited by Devils Dose

Dont like it. I wish Louie would've spent more time and money on quality defensemen instead. When the D didn't have trouble getting out of our zone, we had no problem scoring. It's not good to have your forwards half leaning back to help the defense get out of the zone when it should be starting up ice. I hope we dont see that again this year. But then again, I've been hoping not to see that for the past 7 years. But I still do.

I am a bit curious to see what effect this might have on Marty. At the very least it takes a sizable change in mentality to go from, "We're going to protect you with tight defense and you're going to have to allow no more than 2, 1, or even 0 goals for us to win," to, "You're going to be facing a lot more heat now. Don't let the other team get more than 4 goals." Hopefully Brodeur is able take it all in stride, and hopefully there aren't that many 6 to 4 games.

it's called the modern day NHL... welcome to it Devils... now let's see if they STAY there or does some goalie have a pissy fit about his regular season stats and we go right back to the Stone Age.....

Even better so let's see if this backup goalie is worth the 1.5 million (yes it matters when we're that close to the cap max....)

I think it's OK. I think it's pushing around balance and comfort zones and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Our coaches were supposed to get to that but you know, no one has those kinds of balls besides Burns. So while I wouldn't say it's not the coach it's the parts -- I guess it's OK if Vanderbeek wants to. You can't go too wrong with talent. :unsure:

Well when it comes down to it all I know is - it's here now. This is what the team has and you work with what you've got.

Dont like it. I wish Louie would've spent more time and money on quality defensemen instead. When the D didn't have trouble getting out of our zone, we had no problem scoring. It's not good to have your forwards half leaning back to help the defense get out of the zone when it should be starting up ice. I hope we dont see that again this year. But then again, I've been hoping not to see that for the past 7 years. But I still do.

This is my biggest concern. Martin and Greene were the ONLY D-men who could make the transition out our our zone. We have a motley collection of lower tier defense that will come back to haunt us in the long run. We have one of the weakest defensive corps in the league now, I am not used to seeing this in a Lou run team.

The sun has ris' and Manta's whining about Kovalchuk again.

Anton Volchenkov is the best defenseman this team has had since Scott Niedermayer left. Tallinder is a serviceable replacement for Paul Martin with a good upside on this team. Our top 4 is very solid -- more than it has been since Rafalski left. The rest is filled out by rookies who need to learn the system, one of whom is 19 years old and already highly touted.

Simmah dan nah!

This is my biggest concern. Martin and Greene were the ONLY D-men who could make the transition out our our zone. We have a motley collection of lower tier defense that will come back to haunt us in the long run. We have one of the weakest defensive corps in the league now, I am not used to seeing this in a Lou run team.

I have to agree with you though the loss of Martin will affect this team in the future. Do you think there were any other defensemen out there similar to Martin that we could of got signed?

MARTIN SUCKED MONKEY NUTS!!!!! HE'S BEEN REPLACED BY BETTER!!! Where the hell have you all BEEN the past five years?!?!??!??!?!?!??!?!??!

GOOD LORD! If you want over-intellectualized flaccid play go root for some other team. Martin had no soul. When he tried to let it emerged HE fvckED UP! Taken on the whole -- the guy was just not there. Rafalski had more heart and talent -- and Rafs moved on when he KNEW he should have! Martin blew chunks <_< . KEEPING guys like him is what's been killing the Devils. having to make do with Paul Martin. I am NOT exaggerating. Losing him was the best thing ever to happen to the Devils. I dont even see how he'll be more -- or even AS effective anywhere else. I still will not eat my words if he thrives on the Pitts. He's no good here and dragged the entire team down.

Can you NOT SEE?!?!??!??!?!?!??!??! DO you not WATCH??@!??!?!??! ^&(%^&(@^%$%^)*$^&*^%$^)&*^#&*()#&

Edited by Pepperkorn

MARTIN SUCKED MONKEY NUTS!!!!! HE'S BEEN REPLACED BY BETTER!!! Where the hell have you all BEEN the past five years?!?!??!??!?!?!??!?!??!

GOOD LORD! If you want over-intellectualized flaccid play go root for some other team. Martin had no soul. When he tried to let it emerged HE fvckED UP! Taken on the whole -- the guy was just not there. Rafalski had more heart and talent -- and Rafs moved on when he KNEW he should have! Martin blew chunks <_< . KEEPING guys like him is what's been killing the Devils. having to make do with Paul Martin. I am NOT exaggerating. Losing him was the best thing ever to happen to the Devils. I dont even see how he'll be more -- or even AS effective anywhere else. I still will not eat my words if he thrives on the Pitts. He's no good here and dragged the entire team down.

Can you NOT SEE?!?!??!??!?!?!??!??! DO you not WATCH??@!??!?!??! ^&(%^&(@^%$%^)*$^&*^%$^)&*^#&*()#&

While I do think you are going overboard with that statement, I do think he was overrated. He was a very poor-man's version of raflaksi and that was it. When he left it was no major loss. I can see Taormina or even maybe Greene in the next couple of seasons putting up as high or higher numbers. Martin never put up big numbers anyways and I always thought he had a somewhat weak shot.

What was annoying about him was that it appeared like he played like an ace pool player. he was clam and smooth so you'd sort of think OK he's got it under control... but then when given the opportunity he'd whiff it - make zero effective contact with the puck or he;d lose his mind all of a sudden and you'd see it was all a load of bullsh!t -- he's just one of those calm kind of guys. There was nothing going on -- no insight - though you could SWEAR -- you could swear there was ... but then you'd see - nothing -- there was nothing there he was playing like that because there;s nothing there.... although he would sometimes follow-through. Or sometimes he'd get all excited and sparky and do something. I saw those moments and so I was OK with him -- but the trust that was put in him was pretty much not founded on something as solid as I'd hope.

:puke: Puke: :puke: Hmehhh I never kept my feeling about Martin a secret <_<

Didn't exactly have a star laden defense last year and they won the Jennings.

So I'm interested in seeing Tallinder this season. He's been so interesting! Because he plays weirdly invested. He's like... he's in the game and watching and he;s remote, removed from the whole thing, but he;s seeing what's going on and he takes care of stuff so you never flip thinking he;s out of step or out of touch ... but he's a smidge behind -- then zips in and catches up almost before you see what's about to happen. I find that fascinating - what is that little chance for? What is that little opening of time for? It's not deciding to commit... it's like he knows he;s got that nanosecond to ... admire? think? Illustrate the insight he's just gleed and allowing people to catch up to his sight? It's amusing and I'd think it was even more weird and amusing if it continues into the season. Does anyone know what I mean? Maybe it's a Swedish thing and that's what Lidstrom has but you know ON TOP of the play... or ahead of it -- :wacko: It's enough to make my head explode -- and I sort of enjoy that :giggle:

OH OH.... but I do NOT want Urbom picking any of that up. You can't see how someone else sees. You have to see it your own way.... when I've watched him, it felt like Urbom was trying to learn a sight on ice. You know? All of our young D are like that - ever since Commodore. Sean Brown was kind of probably too stupid to consider ice sight so -- his just blanket blind trust in Burns is what got me off on him! Sorry to be gross I don't mean it that way... but I really loved how he had NO CLUE just this wonderful trust of this master of hockey and when he relaxed it just clicked for him. So none of our home grown defence have that trust - they meddle with themselves and I can't get any closer to what it is I see -- but... so... OK

I'm ranting.... I have work to do :P

Edited by Pepperkorn

Offense takes skill, defense only takes hard work. If the D we have work to their potential our defense is fine. We have a more balanced defense than we have had since Neidermayer left, and we have an offense that focuses on sustained attack on the cycle in the offensive zone.

sooooo ...

definatly!

The sun has ris' and Manta's whining about Kovalchuk again.

Anton Volchenkov is the best defenseman this team has had since Scott Niedermayer left. Tallinder is a serviceable replacement for Paul Martin with a good upside on this team. Our top 4 is very solid -- more than it has been since Rafalski left. The rest is filled out by rookies who need to learn the system, one of whom is 19 years old and already highly touted.

Simmah dan nah!

The best defensemen since Nieds left? I think Rafalski and Martin were both better overall. Volchenkov is a servicable- good #3 or #4 defensemen on a good team.

Tallinder is nowhere near as good a Martin in any aspect.

Our top #4 would probably be no higher than 5-9 on competitive teams.

I wanna chime in on Martin's departure here. I think we're getting a little too polarized by a pretty non-polarizing figure.

Paul Martin was an above average, puck moving d-man. No doubt about it. He got hurt (albeit because he's a little soft) but he was a calm, controlling transition player for us and he made a very, very good US Olympic Roster...and yes, that means something because lots of good players don't make Olympic teams at all. If you've already forgotten about his offensive ability, look up the retro game from this past year and the goal he scored on you tube; it was a pretty dirty shot from the right side.

However, I'll agree with an earlier post about him avoiding contempt because of how "slick" he was. Even in his mistakes, he made it look good. With that being said, he made mistakes, and very rarely made a solid physical, defensive play.

Consequently, I think we lost a decent d-man, but picked up two very good ones...guys who combined can not only fill Martin's spot, but exceed his defensive and offensive abilities.