Henrique down, Taormina back up

Triumph

It has something to do with the bonus cushion for next season. I'm not exactly sure as I haven't read the CBA.

At this point, I would be frustrated beyond belief if I were Taormina. Hopefully he takes this opportunity as a blessing and works his ass off tonight.

Be angry to be in the NHL, sure he must be furious.

(i) A Club seeking to exercise the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception must simultaneously so notify Central Registry and the NHLPA, in writing, before any Player replacing an unfit-to-play Player shall be permitted to play with the Club;

Right there....Taormina would be considered Salvador's replacment. I would assume he would have to be at the AHL level at the time of the request and not with the team.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I think players woudl be kept in the loop - admittedly even while you're in the loop you think what am I being all calm about this crap for? and second guessing and stuff. Being Henrique would suck more...but still straw man in the NHL is pretty cool.

I know it's fiction but I hear in my head Henrique joyfully whining in Albany that he wished he was just at practice even in Newark and someone saying really? Well -- go! Sure no problem -- go on down! and him being a psyched just to make that day trip even.

The bizarre part is that Mac talked about how he would play Henrique

it means at least one of a couple of things..

Mac is out of the loop personnel-wise

Lou is messing with the league and Bettman

Lou is trying to make a trade and moving players around to better position the deal or put himself in a better negotiating position

Lou has gone from delusional to crazy

They are trying to keep the players on their toes

I love the Devils... not a dull moment in like 15 years

(i) A Club seeking to exercise the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception must simultaneously so notify Central Registry and the NHLPA, in writing, before any Player replacing an unfit-to-play Player shall be permitted to play with the Club;

Right there....Taormina would be considered Salvador's replacment. I would assume he would have to be at the AHL level at the time of the request and not with the team.

We've got a winner! Didn't think of that.

This makes the most sense. I dont think there is a trade or a signing coming today.

Yeah -- they were probably thinking Sal wouldn't get the official NHL stamp of approval until after opening day or something. So it was a lot of "fine dick Devils around - we're always prepared to play exactly who we have." Mac is probably disregarding the loop - more of a If he's here he'll play kind of comment, not a big game plan or anything. AWWWWEeee see now I really feel for Henrique... so close.... kids are so awesome - their enthusiasm

Thanks JaSon (yes I always type it wrong on purpose :P )

Lou is trying to make a trade and moving players around to better position the deal or put himself in a better negotiating position

Don't think Mac talking about play Henrique is strange at all, he's just Lou's mouthpiece in situations like this.

Mac has to act like he is playing. What is he going to say, we made a move fully aware that we won't play the kid but want to help our cap situation when Sal goes on LTIR?

Why open a can of worms where someone claims the move was somehow cap circumvation.

TG said he was told Henrique was in the stands, TG didn't say he saw him.

Joe

It is a personal pet peeve of mine that the Devils almost never have the roster right on their website... it is opening game day and they don't have the rookies up there, still have Zharkov up there, Salmela who is in some "non-paid" status is up there and Sal is not listed on IR

At least they finally took off Skoula

what a joke

I agree with not a dull moment, But You left out all of the above! :yea:

Lets Go Devils!!!!!

Why Mair hasn't been signed. It seems to me they are content to go with this lineup until there is an injury, when there is an injury to a forward they can send Taormina/Fraser down and sign Mair. If there is an injury to a defense Mair remains unsigned and Fraser steps in.

I'm sorry, but no individual in the NHL has the patience Mair has unless he is told by the team that he WILL be getting a contract before the end of October.

As for moving Taormina, I think it has to be something along the lines of what JasonMI is speculating. It could also be about keeping the players on their toes - but keep in mind that Urbom hasn't moved at all and I don't think Lou would do that when he so close to being over the cap.

Edited by ben00rs

I was wrong, someone on TG's blog set me straight, which pissed me off enough to look for a different reason. Here is what I found as a possible idea.

50.5 i

(i) For the purposes of calculat ing a Club's Averaged Club Salary, the Averaged Amount of Performance Bonuses (to the extent permitted in accordance wit h Section 50.2(b)(i)© above) shall be included as fully earned in the League Year in which they may be earned. However, the unaveraged cash value of such Performance Bonuses shall be calculated in a Player's SPC for purposes of the 100 Percent Rule, as set forth in Section 50.7 below. The cash amount of any Performance Bonuses contained in an SPC that becomes impossible to earn in a given League Year shall, at that time, be deducted from the Club's Averaged Club Salary. Any Payroll Room that may result will only be for the remainder of that League Year and will not affect the Averaged Amount of a Player's mult i-year SPC or the inclusion of any Performance Bonuses in the Averaged Amount of the future League Years of such SPC.

Taormina did not have any bonuses while Henrique had the highest bonus out of anyone in the AHL. Lou may have saved .287 towards the cap by having Henrique on the roster for the one day.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Didn't Albelin practice for a month or more before being signed ?

hockey-reference says that albelin signed on december 20th. i don't remember when he started practicing with the team, but yeah.

jason: you're going to have to explain that, because i don't exactly get it. i mean, i think i understand what it's saying, but i don't understand how it applies to this.

Edited by Triumph