GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins @ New Jersey Devils 10/11/10

njdevil26

oh god, the second goal was an own goal, I thought it was directly off the Pen. we have to be the all-time champs at this. :lol:

and yes, it really is uncanny that whatever side the change is on, Kovalchuk ends up on the wrong side. he played a ton of "left wing" in the 2nd. get off the ice. lol, Captain Grumpy is losing shift time, and I'm sure he's going to get cranky about it sooner or later

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how so, that puts them into a the west coast trip, which is hard even for very good eastern teams. they need to get a couple this week, or they're going to be pretty strong to the bad side when they come back from that trip.

Eh, I've never paid that much attention to western road trips. I think they are made out to be a lot more than they actually are. This team has so much raw talent that it just needs to get into a groove and things will start to roll. Western trip or not, this team will start looking very good after 10 games.

oh god, the second goal was an own goal, I thought it was directly off the Pen. we have to be the all-time champs at this. :lol:

Yea, I believe it was Tallinder? Figures it would be him, as he has been AWFUL. I think he'll improve soon, but man so far it has been a terrible pickup.

i agree that kovalchuk needs to get back on LW - although he ends up there any way so it really doesn't matter. and for someone who thought rod pelley belonged bagging groceries, i've been pleasantly surprised with his play thus far.

wonderboy andy greene hasn't been called out by the board yet but i believe that's a'comin pretty soon. devilinla has about 3 or 4 more games of this kind of play (muscled off the puck, wrist shots into shins) before he kicks into overdrive.

i think things should shake out like this:

parise-zajac-zubrus

kovalchuk-arnott-elias

rolston-josefson-clarkson/langenbrunner - one simply must be dealt - i'd rather it be clarkson as he's likely gotta go next year anyway for parise and he's just not adding anything right now

pelley-mair-sestito/davis

i think leblond comes back up once you see a deal. lou just doesn't go without a fighter on the roster very often. don't say that clarkson or mair fulfills that role, because neither really do.

i also don't like kovalchuk and elias on the off wing on the same line. also don't think zubrus ends up on the top line. there's a reason beyond the cap why josefson is in the minors.

one of these two has to go, along with salvador when he returns (assuming another defenseman doesn't go down) because they just can't play this game with the salary cap - they need some room to gain some space for a chance at upgrading the defense. i like urbom's potential but at 11:41 TOI, he's not getting any better up here - the deals will give the devils a little room to play with the guys coming and going from albany and perhaps find another minimum wage NHLer to come in to send taormina to the bench.

taormina isn't going anywhere. he's played an average of 19 minutes so far. they're looking to have him play. as for urbom, i think we might see him sent down soon-ish, now that there's room for corrente.

and yes, it really is uncanny that whatever side the change is on, Kovalchuk ends up on the wrong side. he played a ton of "left wing" in the 2nd. get off the ice. lol, Captain Grumpy is losing shift time, and I'm sure he's going to get cranky about it sooner or later

i don't think that was kovalchuk overstaying his shifts as much as maclean double shifting him.

Eh, I've never paid that much attention to western road trips. I think they are made out to be a lot more than they actually are. This team has so much raw talent that it just needs to get into a groove and things will start to roll. Western trip or not, this team will start looking very good after 10 games.

I think a long road trip is exactly what this team needs, actually. I agree with the raw talent. They need to get drunk together, bond, and then come together as the kind of unit we all want them to become.

Hopefully the cap situation gets resolved before the trip though.

i think leblond comes back up once you see a deal. lou just doesn't go without a fighter on the roster very often. don't say that clarkson or mair fulfills that role, because neither really do.

i also don't like kovalchuk and elias on the off wing on the same line. also don't think zubrus ends up on the top line. there's a reason beyond the cap why josefson is in the minors.

taormina isn't going anywhere. he's played an average of 19 minutes so far. they're looking to have him play. as for urbom, i think we might see him sent down soon-ish, now that there's room for corrente.

i don't think that was kovalchuk overstaying his shifts as much as maclean double shifting him.

nah, he eventually got off, just 15-20 seconds late.

I'm sorta multi-posting out of laziness, but Amberlite, those are good teams they're playing when they go out there. you could play well and end up going 1-3-1 or something. the only saving grace is that the Ducks are on the trip instead of the Coyotes.

kinda amazing that Phoenix becomes a scary place to visit to play hockey! How the worm turns.

Not to mention the Devils have never been able to beat that franchise on the road, going back to the Winnipeg days. It never seems to matter how good the Devils are or how bad the Jets/Coyotes were, the Devils never seem to win in Winnipeg or Phoenix historically.

I just crazy ranted over on HF so I'll post it here so I can get yelled at for my opinions.

Lou had some options open to him in the summer to fix this situation. Rolston could have been waived to try to get someone to take half of his salary... Salvador could have been traded or waived...White could have been traded or waived to remove 3 mil... Zubrus could have been waived. Clarkson didn't deserve the money he got... Although I like Tallinder, signing him might also have been a mistake.

I don't believe at ALL that Salvador's injury is as serious as we think it is. He is definitely taking one for the team... and you think that this sucks now.. wait til he is ready to come back and we can't hide him anymore.

Josefson, Corrente, and Zharkov should be on this team right now. Pelley and Leblond should not be sniffing an NJ Devils jersey. Adam Mair should have also been on the opening night roster... or he at least deserves a contract on a lot of teams.. and now he's being jerked around because we were 34,000 under the cap. Adam Henrique and Matt Taormina are driving to and from Albany for no reason.... Alex Urbom is SCARED on defense and he's getting minimal minutes and I believe his development is going to be stunted. Matt Taormina is getting top minutes on this team!!

I'm not "panicking" because of the fact that we're 0-3.... I'm simply angry at the mismanagement of this team by someone that we have been trained to look up to for god knows how long.

I'm angry. And I have no idea how to defend this team. And at this point... I would be flabbergasted to find out that players like Brodeur, Elias, Langenbrunner, and Parise are not pissed off right now.

Lou BETTER sign Mair tomorrow and demote Leblond.

After that he BETTER find a trade partnet for Zubrus or White.

And after that Josefson and Corrente BETTER be on a ride from Albany to Newark.

"I would be flabbergasted to find out that players like Brodeur, Elias, Langenbrunner, and Parise are not pissed off right now."

I agree with this for sure. Anyone who has ever played adult hockey and been assigned to a crappy team for a season knows how much it stinks...for the pros it must be insanely maddening to have players around you that are not trying or should not be there.

Lou had some options open to him in the summer to fix this situation. Rolston could have been waived to try to get someone to take half of his salary... Salvador could have been traded or waived...White could have been traded or waived to remove 3 mil... Zubrus could have been waived. Clarkson didn't deserve the money he got... Although I like Tallinder, signing him might also have been a mistake.

and yet none of that happened. now why do you think that is?

I don't believe at ALL that Salvador's injury is as serious as we think it is. He is definitely taking one for the team... and you think that this sucks now.. wait til he is ready to come back and we can't hide him anymore.

hopefully by that time someone is willing to deal for him, although that seems rather unlikely. he gets waived pretty obviously, although he has to wait for someone else to go on LTIR for that to happen.

given that salvador left a game, i believe that he has a concussion.

Josefson, Corrente, and Zharkov should be on this team right now.

what have corrente and josefson done to merit being on this team, other than being massively overhyped? josefson should absolutely NOT be on this team.

Pelley and Leblond should not be sniffing an NJ Devils jersey.

pelley just played the game of his life tonight.

Adam Mair should have also been on the opening night roster... or he at least deserves a contract on a lot of teams.. and now he's being jerked around because we were 34,000 under the cap.

and he doesn't have one. he's willing to wait. he knew the devils were in bad cap shape when he got invited to camp.

I'm not "panicking" because of the fact that we're 0-3.... I'm simply angry at the mismanagement of this team by someone that we have been trained to look up to for god knows how long.

I'm angry. And I have no idea how to defend this team. And at this point... I would be flabbergasted to find out that players like Brodeur, Elias, Langenbrunner, and Parise are not pissed off right now.

Lou BETTER sign Mair tomorrow and demote Leblond.

lol why do you want white gone? have you seen this team? yeah let's get rid of the one guy who was here last year. and the center thing - we tolerated rob niedermayer until he blew up in our faces, but a 19 year old rookie, that can't possibly go wrong.

josefson probably doesn't belong here. what did he do in preseason? what is worth wasting an entry-level year of his deal on, exactly?

well, to be fair, they're burning a year no matter where he plays. I thought he did enough to play, but I wouldn't expect anything spectacular out of him. they need the extra players, but when the changes are made, this team is not going to instantly become great. assuming they're going to have to burn off Zubrus and Salvador for nothing, what they get in return out of the A is not going to be better than them.

they'll just have the piece of mind that sh!tshows roster-wise, like today, won't happen again. and maybe the ability to make a trade

Although I like Tallinder, signing him might also have been a mistake.

Still too early to even entertain that thought. He isn't even in the right defensive pairing yet - IMO.

He has a concussion - it's not much of a secret that the injury is most likely being exaggerated but at minimum it's probably worthy of missing 10 games - which is in turn LTIR worthy.

Josefson, Corrente, and Zharkov should be on this team right now. Pelley and Leblond should not be sniffing an NJ Devils jersey. Adam Mair should have also been on the opening night roster... or he at least deserves a contract on a lot of teams.. and now he's being jerked around because we were 34,000 under the cap. Adam Henrique and Matt Taormina are driving to and from Albany for no reason.... Alex Urbom is SCARED on defense and he's getting minimal minutes and I believe his development is going to be stunted. Matt Taormina is getting top minutes on this team!!

I thought Josefsen would make the team out of necessity but I would never for one second think he SHOULD be on the team. If he was up the team would only be facing even more growing pains.

Also, there WAS probably reason for the Henrique and Taormina switch up - we just don't know it.

Why is Urbom's development going to be stunted? He's being slowly worked into getting real NHL minutes. And I don't think he has looked scared out there - quite the opposite actually. Don't mix up playing conservative with playing scared.

What is "at this point"? You mean 0-2-1 in an 82 game season? No idea how to defend this team? How about: it's 3 games into the season?

So you want to trade away either our best defensemen right now or our hottest forward?

And what will having Josefsen and Corrente change? Again - there will only be more mistakes.

Parise Zajac Langenbrunner

Elias Arnott Kovalchuk

Clarkson Zubrus Rolston

Mair Pelley Sestito

Urbom Tallinder

Greene Volchenkov

Taormina White

Corrente

Brodeur

Hedberg

Waive Fraser

Waive Salvador

59.4 million

EDIT: forgot about the stupid pandolfo/peters buyouts, gotta squeeze 1mil out of there :doh1:

Edited by Zubie#8

yep, weekday games at 4PM bring people out like gangbusters. that's still 1K more than the Isles and Rangers did combined.

Yeh,I just figured being it's a holiday and we're playing Pittsburgh. more fans would have been ther.

Edited by hmon

What is "at this point"? You mean 0-2-1 in an 82 game season? No idea how to defend this team? How about: it's 3 games into the season?

My "at this point" includes the way last year ended coupled with the embarrassing press conference before Kovy's contract got denied which the players I mentioned were all attending... the fact that Lou and co were so hellbent on getting Kovy and Kovy wouldn't budge on his price that the players association and the league engaged in a mini war over it... the fact that no one could presumably get comfortable in camp or the locker room knowing that someone or a few players had to go... the fact that there's a little extra pressure on players not to get injured to maybe be a little conservative because of roster not being filled out... and now having to eat up more ice time as a result of a suspension and injuries and the lack of being able to call a player up to fill in.

Yeah, Pelley played the "game of his life" yesterday... but Rod Pelley will not be playing 18 minutes a night no matter where he is. And even if he does, he will not put the puck in the net, make decent passes, and create chances. He's a fourth line player that should play 8-10 minutes a night. The only thing that should come out of his performance is that he deserves an extra few minutes on the penalty kill.