GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins @ New Jersey Devils 10/11/10

njdevil26

I just crazy ranted over on HF so I'll post it here so I can get yelled at for my opinions.

Lou had some options open to him in the summer to fix this situation. Rolston could have been waived to try to get someone to take half of his salary... Salvador could have been traded or waived...White could have been traded or waived to remove 3 mil... Zubrus could have been waived. Clarkson didn't deserve the money he got... Although I like Tallinder, signing him might also have been a mistake.

I don't believe at ALL that Salvador's injury is as serious as we think it is. He is definitely taking one for the team... and you think that this sucks now.. wait til he is ready to come back and we can't hide him anymore.

Josefson, Corrente, and Zharkov should be on this team right now. Pelley and Leblond should not be sniffing an NJ Devils jersey. Adam Mair should have also been on the opening night roster... or he at least deserves a contract on a lot of teams.. and now he's being jerked around because we were 34,000 under the cap. Adam Henrique and Matt Taormina are driving to and from Albany for no reason.... Alex Urbom is SCARED on defense and he's getting minimal minutes and I believe his development is going to be stunted. Matt Taormina is getting top minutes on this team!!

I'm not "panicking" because of the fact that we're 0-3.... I'm simply angry at the mismanagement of this team by someone that we have been trained to look up to for god knows how long.

I'm angry. And I have no idea how to defend this team. And at this point... I would be flabbergasted to find out that players like Brodeur, Elias, Langenbrunner, and Parise are not pissed off right now.

Lou BETTER sign Mair tomorrow and demote Leblond.

After that he BETTER find a trade partnet for Zubrus or White.

And after that Josefson and Corrente BETTER be on a ride from Albany to Newark.

From your lips to Lou's ears.

Thank God you have it all figured out and had the answers all along. Send VBK a resume before it's too late. :rolleyes:

It hasn't been pretty, far from it, but I'm not an "instant gratification" guy. It's a long season, and the Devils have time to figure this out. I don't see the point in overreacting to this. If this team is sputtering along 20 games in or so, then I'll be concerned. For now, I think we all have to show just the slightest patience, and stop second-guessing EVRYTHING based on 181 minutes worth of regular-season hockey.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From your lips to Lou's ears.

Thank God you have it all figured out and had the answers all along. Send VBK a resume before it's too late. :rolleyes:

It hasn't been pretty, far from it, but I'm not an "instant gratification" guy. It's a long season, and the Devils have time to figure this out. I don't see the point in overreacting to this. If this team is sputtering along 20 games in or so, then I'll be concerned. For now, I think we all have to show just the slightest patience, and stop second-guessing EVRYTHING based on 181 minutes worth of regular-season hockey.

Don't say that I'm basing this on three games. Even if the Devils had beaten Pittsburgh yesterday... I'm overall talking about everything that has led up to icing 9 forwards and 6 D with three rookies in it in front of 12000 people in a truly embarrassing day. You can't tell me that you think the vets on this team are happy about it.

Back to a point I made before... I like Tallinder and his play has been alright and it seems like he will be good for us... but I mean that it may not have been a good idea if he was planning on investing so much cash into Kovalchuk that spending an extra 11-12 mil on Tallinder, Volchenkov, and Arnott. But we sorely needed that latter two.

well, to be fair, they're burning a year no matter where he plays. I thought he did enough to play, but I wouldn't expect anything spectacular out of him. they need the extra players, but when the changes are made, this team is not going to instantly become great. assuming they're going to have to burn off Zubrus and Salvador for nothing, what they get in return out of the A is not going to be better than them.

they'll just have the piece of mind that sh!tshows roster-wise, like today, won't happen again. and maybe the ability to make a trade

they're not burning a year no matter where he plays, i'm not sure where you're getting this. unless you think that because of injuries up here, NJ will eventually call him up.

Edited by Triumph

My GF was at the game, and well she enjoyed seeing the below on the score board before leaving:

Isles 6 : Rangers 4

:D

Other than that she didn't say much, except we got one goal... Oh and her cousin is now a Devils fan, her first game was last night :). She already has a white Parise jersey.

The NHL screws up again wtih these afternoon starts on weekdays. Most people dont have Columbus day off.

We get 12k against Crosby and the Pens

The isles get 11k vs the rags? That games almost always a sellout or close to it

Buffalo doesnt sell out against the defending cup champs.

All 3 are abnormally low attendances, but those were your 3 afternoon games yesterday

The NHL screws up again wtih these afternoon starts on weekdays. Most people dont have Columbus day off.

We get 12k against Crosby and the Pens

The isles get 11k vs the rags? That games almost always a sellout or close to it

Buffalo doesnt sell out against the defending cup champs.

All 3 are abnormally low attendances, but those were your 3 afternoon games yesterday

Devil Penguin games almost always sell out. Rangers Islanders was ridiculous that they got only 11k. And Buffalo didn't sell out?! wow...

i agree that kovalchuk needs to get back on LW - although he ends up there any way so it really doesn't matter. and for someone who thought rod pelley belonged bagging groceries, i've been pleasantly surprised with his play thus far.

wonderboy andy greene hasn't been called out by the board yet but i believe that's a'comin pretty soon. devilinla has about 3 or 4 more games of this kind of play (muscled off the puck, wrist shots into shins) before he kicks into overdrive.

i think things should shake out like this:

parise-zajac-zubrus

kovalchuk-arnott-elias

rolston-josefson-clarkson/langenbrunner - one simply must be dealt - i'd rather it be clarkson as he's likely gotta go next year anyway for parise and he's just not adding anything right now

pelley-mair-sestito/davis

volchenkov-greene

talinder-taormina

white-corrente

fraser

one of these two has to go, along with salvador when he returns (assuming another defenseman doesn't go down) because they just can't play this game with the salary cap - they need some room to gain some space for a chance at upgrading the defense. i like urbom's potential but at 11:41 TOI, he's not getting any better up here - the deals will give the devils a little room to play with the guys coming and going from albany and perhaps find another minimum wage NHLer to come in to send taormina to the bench.

I'm giving him a wide berth as it took him a few games to get going last season, he still hasn't convinced me that he's top pair worthy so far...but time will tell.

I will say that Mike Mottau could have helped this D in a 3rd pair role for sure.