NHL craziness - (2) 2 game suspensions.

Dead

Following his hit on Jason Pominville, Niklas Hjalmarsson has been suspended for two games.

The Islanders' James Wisniewski has been suspended for two games for his obscene gesture.

What is going on with the NHL? Hjalmarsson hit Pominville from behind resulting in a concussion and laceration above his eye. Resulted in a 2 game suspension. This is the type of hit the NHL was going crazy about trying to eliminate last season.

An Isle gave Avery the "Blow me" gesture and was suspended for two games? WTF! How are these two things both worth a 2 game suspension? Telling Avery blow me should results in Avery having to fall to his knees and start sucking. A illegal hit that resulted in severe injury should be more than 2 games, especially as it was the type of hit that the NHL wants to eliminate.

Oh wait one was Blackhawk (Champs), and the other was the Isles (while playing the rangers)... Guess the calls depend on the teams "status" among the NHL...

But think of the kids!!!!!!! :giggle:

How many young kids do they think were paying close enough attention to the game to either a) notice the blow me gesture or b) even know what that gesture meant in the first place.

Edited by mmajeski06

But think of the kids!!!!!!! :giggle:

How many young kids do they think were paying close enough attention to the game to either a) notice the blow me gesture or b) even know what that gesture meant in the first place.

If these types of things are seen on TV by young children parents might just have to explain things to thier kids and educate them. God forbid.

Sorry too much coffee tonight...

This is a gem regarding Avery below. Read the whole thing here http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337221

"Chelios said. "He had everybody hating each other within two weeks. I can see how he would get under your skin. He could be the greatest guy and then all of a sudden the other guy switches in and you want to kill him."

Sounds like someone has serious mental issues from this statement alone. :uni:

Edited by Dead

No it shouldn't. If this league can suspend Avery longer than that and send him for sensitivity training, then a grade A punk like Wisniewski earned that suspension. There's a zero tolerance policy for any gestures. If they don't back it up, what kind of message does that send? Wiz has a few screws loose which is why he's on another roster. The hit should've earned 5.

2 games is about right for the hit...but 2 games for an obscene gesture? come on, that should be a fine and nothing else.

i'm not sure if I am thinking of the same hit, and am at work so I can't youtube it. Is it the same hit that they showed on PTI yesterday?

I thought the even though he skated from behind he hit him basically from the side as he was reciving the puck. the point of contact wasn't the head hich is what the new rule as designed for.

Maybe it was just me but I didn't think it deserved 2 mins let alone 2 games(possibly for interference if the puck wasn't there yet, I thought the puck was on the stick, but only saw it once.

Am I totally off base here?

joe

No it shouldn't. If this league can suspend Avery longer than that and send him for sensitivity training, then a grade A punk like Wisniewski earned that suspension. There's a zero tolerance policy for any gestures. If they don't back it up, what kind of message does that send? Wiz has a few screws loose which is why he's on another roster. The hit should've earned 5.

So let's see when the next guy decides instead of flipping the lil bastard off... hell I'm gonna board him and smash his face in since it's the same damn penalty in the league... yeah that's a great idea!!!

This whole society is SERIOUSLY TOO DAMN SENSITIVE TO STUFF!!!

The difference is Avery did it to a CIVILIAN (and someone who does work for the league).... if the guy flips off a fan... FINE... but talk and gestures at players in game... and it's gonna be as serious as an attempt to injure... that's a fracked priority list!!