O-M-G

H.E. Pennypacker

Hey, Deke, are you into stuff like D.O.A., Current 93, Coil and Destroy All Monsters.

Hell yes. I can honestly call D.O.A one of my all-time favorite bands.

My first real exposure to recorded music was my fathers Albert Alyer LP's as a young boy, abrasion in music has always been most attractive to me, and I reached the right age when all the touch and go "pigfvck" bands started to get big (and just in time to see bands like black flag and the minutemen), followed was the first wave of amrep bands. For years I traded tapes with a dude in England, that's how I learned about bands like Whitehouse and Swell Maps and the like. One of the best trades I ever made with that bloke was swapping the first two dope guns and fvcking in the streets comps for taped copies of the entire whitehouse discography and 20 jazz funk greats on vinyl.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F@*king hell Lou was right OMG is a complete sh!t stirrer!!!!

Why is music such a touchy subject on here.

Its all subjective.

it's not just swedish heavy metal it is heavy metal in general. a horrible genre no dynamics in the music, no melody, just fvcking noise and screaming.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Well H.E. lay down some of the bands you like.

Mastodon, the only album I have by them is Leviathan. Pretty good overall.

Mastodon's albums have got progressivley worse IMO (none of them are bad but just not great), but Leviathan is one of the greatest prog/metal albums ever. and live they are immense, i am hoping their next album will see them add the heavier element back into the music.

Do you like Meshuggah, Zero?

Messhugga, now thats complex music, technically incredible, and one of the most brutal bands i have ever seen live.

Albert Ayler is pretty good. Have you listened to Dewey Redman or Anthony Braxton? Those guys are pretty good for free jazz.

I'm a little more melodically inclined so I'll take Lee Morgan and Bobby Timmons all the time.

H.E. you really can't compare Throbbing Gristle with Oasis. That's a total apples and oranges situation.

F@*king hell Lou was right OMG is a complete sh!t stirrer!!!!

Why is music such a touchy subject on here.

Its all subjective.

:blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Mastodon's albums have got progressivley worse IMO (none of them are bad but just not great), but Leviathan is one of the greatest prog/metal albums ever. and live they are immense, i am hoping their next album will see them add the heavier element back into the music.

Messhugga, now thats complex music, technically incredible, and one of the most brutal bands i have ever seen live.

The neo-Black Sabbath bands like the Sword and the Saviours are pretty sweet too.

Albert Ayler is pretty good. Have you listened to Dewey Redman or Anthony Braxton? Those guys are pretty good for free jazz.

I'm a little more melodically inclined so I'll take Lee Morgan and Bobby Timmons all the time.

H.E. you really can't compare Throbbing Gristle with Oasis. That's a total apples and oranges situation.

The neo-Black Sabbath bands like the Sword and the Saviours are pretty sweet too.

The are alright, i dont find them as dynamic as Mastodon. Bran Dailor's octopus drumming takes them to another level.

it's not just swedish heavy metal it is heavy metal in general. a horrible genre no dynamics in the music, no melody, just fvcking noise and screaming.

The above sentence contains as much truth as this one: Kovalchuk plays for the Rangers.

And this what they should play when OMG scores:

Murder City Devils

:giggle:

Funny to see them mentioned on a Devils forum of all places. I went to college in Seattle and ran into these bastards when they opened for Mudhoney. The lead singer was a belligerent prick and got pissed off when he was denied by one of the girls with my group, then he pushed me when I told him to back off. I hit him with a right cross and knocked him silly and his drummer laughed. This must've been late 97/early 98.

I havent thought of that moment in years.

You guys should check out Porcupine Tree. Steve WIlson of Porcupine tree produces alot of Opeth's stuff. They have a very wide range of sounds, no growling or anything. There heavy stuff is influenced by those heavy complex rhythm patterns of Meshuggah. They are nothing like Meshuggah though, it's just at times their music progresses to some very heavy parts.

These are some of my Favorites:

Way out of here

Anesthetize

Trains

Blackest Eyes

Sound of Muzak

Sleep Together

Sleep Together

Sound of Muzak

Edited by The Facepainter

You guys should check out Porcupine Tree. Steve WIlson of Porcupine tree produces alot of Opeth's stuff. They have a very wide range of sounds, no growling or anything. There heavy stuff is influenced by those heavy complex rhythm patterns of Meshuggah. They are nothing like Meshuggah though, it's just at times their music progresses to some very heavy parts.

Way out of here

Anesthetize

Trains

Blackest Eyes

Sound of Muzak

Sleep Together

Sleep Together

Sound of Muzak

dude i whored them on my first post, get with the program. also, one of thsoe sleep togethers should read 'arriving somewhere but not here'

Edited by ZeroGravityFat

Way out of here

Anesthetize

Trains

Blackest Eyes

Sound of Muzak

Sleep Together

Sleep Together

Sound of Muzak

i love Porcupine tree, saw them first after Deadwing came out @ Irving Plaza... so good live, since then, 2 times at Nokia and once at city hall

ive also seen Opeth at City Hall after Ghost Reveries came out