Cormier pleads guilty, Won't get criminal record

DevilMinder

Its not fair to bring up how Scotty played. He played in a different hockey. They have changed what is legal and not legal now in the NHL. Most of Scottys hits would have deff gotten him suspended. Most of Scottys hits were up high in the head area to begin with.

Intent to injure is still intent to injure regardless of the era or what is allowed. Cormier was a 19 year old kid who made a mistake that was totaly out of character according to teammates, former teammates and coaches. How many people would have wanted Bure on this team.

Ten times worse then Cormier's eblow. People embrace him for that elbow though.

Right, I'm a fanboy. That really cuts me deep. You people make me chuckle. Boy oh boy, get off your high horse, I can only hope to one day become as enlightened as you are about the sport of hockey :pray:

And obviously I'm a puss because I don't want to see someone who tried to kill a kid on the ice play again.

But I digress, I refuse to get into a pissing contest on an online forum. So, in summary:

-I don't think he should play in the NHL without some sort of counseling.

-You think he should be able to, because other players who have done simliar things in the past were allowed to continue playing.

I think you're wrong. You think I'm wrong. Cheers pal :cheers:

You know for a fact he tried to kill Tam? I'm fairly confident it was a split second reaction when he realized he missed the hit. You lecture me that Stevens had no intend and then lecture me every bit of Cormier's intent. Go back to doing your homework.

I'd love to get Cormier back if the situation ever arose, I still believe he has a decent NHL future ahead of him. I think its hard for any of us to judge him since we don't know him, though the fact that his junior coaches in Rimouski made him a captain, and the same with the Canadian hockey officials, I think that's enough to lead me to believe he is a good kid on and off the ice. Unfortunately the media has made him out to be some monster which is pretty easy to do in this day and age with how easy it is to share videos, etc. I'm not saying what he did was right - it was completely wrong - but I think it's time for everyone to move on.

I think JasOnMacIsaac has been right on in this thread.

I would equate this hit most closely with what happened to Cormier vs Tam. Both players go for big open ice hits, both players miss, both players stick out their arm in reaction. It wasnt intent to injure in the respect that they tried to go for the head, they missed and said " i still gotta get a piece of him" and by sticking their arms out ended up cold clocking the opponent.

Edited by Sarge18

I would equate this hit most closely with what happened to Cormier vs Tam. Both players go for big open ice hits, both players miss, both players stick out their arm in reaction. It wasnt intent to injure in the respect that they tried to go for the head, they missed and said " i still gotta get a piece of him" and by sticking their arms out ended up cold clocking the opponent.

Man thtas realy bad. And what the hell is the habs numer 43 doing?? He sould have jumped on the guy!

Throwing stupid elbows at pretty irrelevant highly visible times is similar but not the same as head hunting with a calculated clean hit... or what I always kind of fear - little invisible illegal kicks and pinches - really mean ugly sh!t. I don't want to know about that. I think it's sad but some men just have that in them and they're always all defensively proud of it all <_< Scott Stevens can shoot a dear fuzzy black bear too. :noclue: what can you do I'd still want him on my hockey team. I personally dont want Pronger on my team -- I knwo that's stupid of me but I don't like him.

I don't think Cormier is stupid. I do not understand what the hell is with his throwing stupid elbows. Those are not smart strategic elbows.

You think you're defending hockey Jas0n but you're not. I was watching hockey well before you were born son -- you know that. I hope Cormier CAN get a grip on himself. I'd send him to some sort of therapy to figure out what his compulsion is. and we do knwo all about Scott Stevens misspent youth. Please. Like I said - it was coming from a different place. Stevens in his youth I'd classify as a loose cannon -- Cormier is NOT, I was writing that more with Stevens in mind OBVIOUSLY - no cormier is not out of control at all -- that is what's so distressing about him. Glad he was traded - no one I can think of is qualified to train that out of a guy.

Throwing stupid elbows at pretty irrelevant highly visible times is similar but not the same as head hunting with a calculated clean hit... or what I always kind of fear - little invisible illegal kicks and pinches - really mean ugly sh!t. I don't want to know about that. I think it's sad but some men just have that in them and they're always all defensively proud of it all <_< Scott Stevens can shoot a dear fuzzy black bear too. :noclue: what can you do I'd still want him on my hockey team. I personally dont want Pronger on my team -- I knwo that's stupid of me but I don't like him.

I don't think Cormier is stupid. I do not understand what the hell is with his throwing stupid elbows. Those are not smart strategic elbows.

You think you're defending hockey Jas0n but you're not. I was watching hockey well before you were born son -- you know that. I hope Cormier CAN get a grip on himself. I'd send him to some sort of therapy to figure out what his compulsion is. and we do knwo all about Scott Stevens misspent youth. Please. Like I said - it was coming from a different place. Stevens in his youth I'd classify as a loose cannon -- Cormier is NOT, I was writing that more with Stevens in mind OBVIOUSLY - no cormier is not out of control at all -- that is what's so distressing about him. Glad he was traded - no one I can think of is qualified to train that out of a guy.

Oh I understand that. I just don't think a teenagers career should be determined by one mental lapse. Everyone has them at some point. Perezhogin is a prime example of that.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Oh I understand that. I just don't think a teenagers career should be determined by one mental lapse. Everyone has them at some point. Perezhogin is a prime example of that.

Agreed.. This is also why we don't allow juveniles in NJ to get the death penalty.. It's a shame he injured the guy, but you're nuts if you think his entire career should be over because of this

I know a lot of people wanted Nieds back, this is a pretty awful play that is way more outside the bounds of normal play.

Whenever i see that there is always a split second where it looks to me as though Nieds is going to appologise, and then he suddenly realises Worrell is about to destroy him so he gets in the first punch.

Its almost like a momentary "OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE".

As for him just being a teenager or basing an opinion on 1 incident or being mental, they are excuses. The first time a 19 year old hits a female, should he be excused for being a teenager, only 1 incident or being mental? I don't think so. When I person does something unjust, like Cormier, they are capable of doing that again. Let a male beat up a female and he will do it again at some point. People need to take responsibility for their actions.

As for him just being a teenager or basing an opinion on 1 incident or being mental, they are excuses. The first time a 19 year old hits a female, should he be excused for being a teenager, only 1 incident or being mental? I don't think so. When I person does something unjust, like Cormier, they are capable of doing that again. Let a male beat up a female and he will do it again at some point. People need to take responsibility for their actions.

you are comparing a guy hitting a girl to a couple of elbows in a contact sport?

you are comparing a guy hitting a girl to a couple of elbows in a contact sport?

Hey JoeB ltns. Good to see you. :)

I am comparing concepts. The reasons used here are just excuses for this hockey player. If a person does something like sucker punch a person they are capable of doing it again.

Hey JoeB ltns. Good to see you. :)

I am comparing concepts. The reasons used here are just excuses for this hockey player. If a person does something like sucker punch a person they are capable of doing it again.

I understand the point you are making but violence is part of the game. guys hitting girls usually isn't part of relationships (and why girls never leave the guys after the first hit is beyond me but not really a subject that belongs on a devils forum).

Then again, I still thought he was just trying for a hit and threw the elbow out when he realized he was going to miss, kinda like a player sticks the leg out when missing a check(very dangerous as well, but more instictual then premeditated imo). the other two elbows that were behind the play were again trying to agitate. not saying he was clean, but to brand a kid at 19 as a dirty player is a little harsh.

and how are you doing SD?

Joe

I chose a bad example so let me just put this in simpler terms. All that was posted are excuses. He is a repeat offender and it will come back to bite him in the future.

I take life one day at a time. Some are good and some are awful. Both hips and knees have been replaced and revised due to more dead bone around the edges of the prosthesis. I am looking to move to NC as soon as I can sell my place. Haven't been to the Rock yet. Are you in NJ and do you still go to games. Those were fun times all of us meeting during intermissions.

Thats exactly it StarDew, he is a repeat offender. If he isnt punished now, it will just do something equal or worse then this and end up hurting someone long term.

If it were your son out there that got leveled and took a possible career ending hit, would you want them to go easy on him and say "eh it wont happen again. He told us it wont."

This hit needs to be taken seriously.

Thats exactly it StarDew, he is a repeat offender. If he isnt punished now, it will just do something equal or worse then this and end up hurting someone long term.

He was punished, he was suspended for the whole entire season. Either way, the discussion wasn't about if he deserved to be punished, obviously we all agree the answer is yes. The debate is over whether or not we as fans would approve of a trade to get him back, specifically Clarkson for Cormier.

He was punished, he was suspended for the whole entire season. Either way, the discussion wasn't about if he deserved to be punished, obviously we all agree the answer is yes. The debate is over whether or not we as fans would approve of a trade to get him back, specifically Clarkson for Cormier.

No, I wouldn't like that trade at all. :angry: