Kovy vs. Ovechkin

Derlique

Having had Center Ice for the last 4 years to watch the Devils, I have been able to watch a fair amount of Washington games during the "Ovechkin Era". I am not saying Kovy is a better player than Ovechkin, but a main criticism of Kovalchuk is him "trying to take on the entire team by himself"

We've all seen Ovechkins highlight reel goals somewhere: the one sliding on his against Phoenix or the one handed one against the Rags. If you watch a lot of Caps games however, you will notice that at least twice a period, he will kill a rush single handedly. I have a lot of buddies who are die hard Capitals fans and they complain about this all the time. Ovechkin will maybe get these "highlight reel goals" twice or three times in a season. But his success rate is AWFUL

Having had Center Ice for the last 4 years to watch the Devils, I have been able to watch a fair amount of Washington games during the "Ovechkin Era". I am not saying Kovy is a better player than Ovechkin, but a main criticism of Kovalchuk is him "trying to take on the entire team by himself"

We've all seen Ovechkins highlight reel goals somewhere: the one sliding on his against Phoenix or the one handed one against the Rags. If you watch a lot of Caps games however, you will notice that at least twice a period, he will kill a rush single handedly. I have a lot of buddies who are die hard Capitals fans and they complain about this all the time. Ovechkin will maybe get these "highlight reel goals" twice or three times in a season. But his success rate is AWFUL

Right, but ovie is (arguably) the best player in the world. Kovy is only a close 3-4, so he definitely shouldn't attempt such things by the logic of most people.

I don't have a problem with kovy attempting highlight reel goals three or four times a game. But that's just me.

Ovie has the advantage because he is a big physical player who creates chances. He may only get a few highlight reel goals a season but he attacks the zone really well. This causes he opponents defense to focus on him thus freeing up other players. Ovechkin is as gritty as any third line grinder, that's something Kovy doesn't have.

Ovie has the advantage because he is a big physical player who creates chances. He may only get a few highlight reel goals a season but he attacks the zone really well. This causes he opponents defense to focus on him thus freeing up other players. Ovechkin is as gritty as any third line grinder, that's something Kovy doesn't have.

Ovechkin: 6ft 2in, 233lbs

Kovie: 6ft 3in, 230lbs

Just sayin'...

Very true. Kovy has the size and it boggles my mind that he doesn't use it more often and be physical. I do not think I remember him delivering one good check to another player this year.

Yeah he needs to use his size more along the boards. He had that chance with Parise. Dont know why he didnt really take advantage of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Kovy lay out some people here and there, but I'd rather he not risk injury and just focus on scoring. It sounds stupid, but let the enforcers do that role.

I think what they are addressing is the soft style Kovie seems to be playing this year. Sure he will go fight Avery (which is just unnecessary) but he isn't for-checking hard and he certainly doesn't look tough on the boards.

I think what they are addressing is the soft style Kovie seems to be playing this year. Sure he will go fight Avery (which is just unnecessary) but he isn't for-checking hard and he certainly doesn't look tough on the boards.

Exactly. I prefer Kovy not to actually fight people or lay crushing hits, but he should at least follow-through on his checks once in a while and not stop or turn away at the last minute.

Ovechkin can carry a mediocre team into a competitive one, with by his sheer force of will.

Kovy can not.

Well that's a bit of a stretch. I'm certain guys like Semin, Greene, Backstrom not to mention the addition of some very good veterans have helped a bit. Until 07-08 the Caps with Ovechkin did zipp-o

Well that's a bit of a stretch. I'm certain guys like Semin, Greene, Backstrom not to mention the addition of some very good veterans have helped a bit. Until 07-08 the Caps with Ovechkin did zipp-o

Not really, Semin, Greene, & Backstrom were nice additions and complimentary players, but Ovie has carry that franchise on his back since they got him and Ovechkin makes THEM look good.

Not really, Semin, Greene, & Backstrom were nice additions and complimentary players, but Ovie has carry that franchise on his back since they got him and Ovechkin makes THEM look good.

Also got to give Washington credit for drafting well. Yeah they drafted pretty high for a few years when they were pretty bad, but it is paying dividends for them now. Atlanta has drafted some pretty big busts for them (Stefan and Lehtonen) or they drafted well and no longer on the team (Heatley, Coburn, and now Kovalchuk).

Ovechkin is phenomenal now, but in 5 years, his body will start breaking down if he continues to play the way he does. He is like Parise on speed. He is very reckless with his body and he goes all out every game, but it will start to catch up with him.

I can see Kovy having much more longevity for this exact reason - Kovy normally glides up and down the ice while Ovechkin barrels through everything at top speed like a tank.