Devils Hockey

Weekes Head

According to NewJerseyDevils.com:

Devils fans, the 2002-2003 home opener is against the Columbus Blue Jackets, Saturday, October 12th at 7:35 PM. For opening night tickets, click here. All fans in attendance will receive a Devils Magnetic Schedule sponsored by Mountain Dew.

Also, by attending the home opener, fans will have the opportunity to see the first two of four television spots celebrating the great Devils

i can't wait...

marketing and the devils do not usually mix... i'm glad they are finally doing something about it...

now all we have to do is get jerseyans to have pride in their state and carry it through to their sports teams so we can have better attendance... hopefully the ads will help

I love the Cou8ntdown to the Home Opener CLOCK!!!

Mor importantly...I want the countdown to White laying out Holik CLOCK!!!!

Red, hell it could be Mighty Mite Gionta laying out Frankenbob for all I care ;) (and that would just add some comic relief!)

Speaking of A$$holik, didn't he seem to be non-existent last night or is it just me who expects more than that from the (overpaid) nine million dollar man? I noticed even some Ranger$ fans were saying he didn't do much.

Red, hell it could be Mighty Mite Gionta laying out Frankenbob for all I care ;) (and that would just add some comic relief!)

Speaking of A$$holik, didn't he seem to be non-existent last night or is it just me who expects more than that from the (overpaid) nine million dollar man? I noticed even some Ranger$ fans were saying he didn't do much.

The $9 million is simply a price that the Ranger's paid.

If Ice Cream cost $500 a gallon, would it taste any different?

If your heating bill costs $2000 a month, is the heat any warmer?

I don't know what you do for a living or what you are paid, but if now your company decides to pay you $1 million a year, does that make you smarter and a better/different employee?

no.

The Rangers paying Holik $9 million does not make him better or different than the Holik that Lou paid $3 million to.

chort, the difference is that Bobby Holik is not heating or ice cream, he's a human being.

An intelligent person, like I believe Holik is, understands that with 9 million dollars, he will have to be a better player. He's not going to all of the sudden develop great passing vision, but he will have to score more goals. The expectation is there. He took the contract, which implicitly says he thinks he's up to the challenge. Had he thought himself incapable of it, he would've taken the Devils' lower offer and retired a Devil..

I don't know what you do for a living or what you are paid, but if now your company decides to pay you $1 million a year, does that make you smarter and a better/different employee?

no.

The Rangers paying Holik $9 million does not make him better or different than the Holik that Lou paid $3 million to.

Chort whats up w/ the " I must defend Bobby" thing??

It does not matter if it his fault or not, bobby holik uis NOT WORHT $9 million and thats what people are pointing out!!!

If I didn;t know better I might think you were sleeping w/ the guy the way you are defending him!!!

Are you???

no.

Chort whats up w/ the " I must defend Bobby" thing??

It does not matter if it his fault or not, bobby holik uis NOT WORHT $9 million and thats what people are pointing out!!!

If I didn;t know better I might think you were sleeping w/ the guy the way you are defending him!!!

Are you???

uuuuhhhh, ok, yea, I'm sleeping with him.

Boy, Red, that's a stupid comment.

Anyway.

Tri, I appreciate you pointing out the difference between Ice Cream and a human beaing. I am sure there are many on this board who wouldn't know the difference.

That is why I used the example of Maddog now making $1 million.......would it really cause her to become a totally different employee? This is assuming she is already putting out 100% effort.

Chort do you think Bobby is worth 9 million for what he brings to the table today???

I donot...

and for the record, maddog will not be getting a raise to 1 mill and ice cream is not 500 a gallon so your comparison is a bit off.

But I guarantee the Dog would feel pressure to do more if she did get a raise to 1 mill, I know I would.

Chort do you think Bobby is worth 9 million for what he brings to the table today???

I donot...

and for the record, maddog will not be getting a raise to 1 mill and ice cream is not 500 a gallon so your comparison is a bit off.

But I guarantee the Dog would feel pressure to do more if she did get a raise to 1 mill, I know I would.

I agree that the Rangers overpaid.

Where I guess I am failing to communicate is that the fact that the Rangers overpaid has nothing to do with what kind of player Holik is.

Yes, Ice Cream does not cost $500 a gallon. Say, $10 a gallon....does that make it taste any better?

No - either you like Ice Cream or not.

either you like Holik or you don't.

But what you're failing to take into account Chort, is expectation.. the guy who pays $500 for his gallon of ice cream is going to want it to taste better, and he might even lie to himself and think it tastes better.. everyone has biases.. most of all, the ice cream in this case, which is a human being, who knows what being paid 9 million means.

I'm sure they told Holik to go out and play his game and not to do too much, but let's face it, they're going to want 2002 Holik every year, and they're going to want Holik to score in the playoffs and shut down the opposition's top line. He's not capable of that..

Maybe I am off here but I see no defending of Holik by chort...all I see is the analogy that paying more for a product that hasn't changed doesn't make the product better hence paying more for Holik doesn't make the Ranjuhs nor Holik better ...they may have higher payroll but that doesn't make the end product better :o

Of course chort could've meant something totally different :rolleyes:

For those that are unaware...no love lost here by me on Holik...I was upset when we got that wretch from the Whalers...I was elated when he left :D

Maybe I am off here but I see no defending of Holik by chort...all I see is the analogy that paying more for a product that hasn't changed doesn't make the product better hence paying more for Holik doesn't make the Ranjuhs nor Holik better ...they may have higher payroll but that doesn't make the end product better :o

Of course chort could've meant something totally different :rolleyes:

thanks Star,

you captured what I was trying to say. :D

Where I guess I am failing to communicate is that the fact that the Rangers overpaid has nothing to do with what kind of player Holik is.

I guess I should elaborate. I seem to recall A$$holik saying that he wanted to take on a challenge like the Ranger$, or felt he needed a change. Now, if he believes this, one would assume that he expects to CONTRIBUTE MORE THAN AVERAGE. I also doubt the NYR$ would be content to pay a mere checking center 9 mil per.

Also, you bring up the ice cream analogy. Most people will go to a restaurant with a $25 meal and expect that meal to be superior to the restaurant that offers a $8 meal. Thus, if Holik is getting 9 mil, one would expect him to contribute more to the team than a guy getting paid 2-3 mil.

Cool, now I'm a dog, thanks Red! :lol:

Seriously, Holik went from .. what.. 3.5 mil to 9 mil? That was a monstrous raise, even if you take his UFA status into account. Many other UFA on the market did not experience that large a jump in their salary. Considering the massive increase in pay, I'd sure as hell expect A$$holik to provide something more than what he usually has. Especially when he used to complain how he wanted to be "The Man" :puke: . He didn't like how Brodeur and Stevens' contracts got taken care of before his. Well, now he has to prove that he's BETTER than they are if he really thinks that.