Does Johnny Mac get fired if we get embarrassed by the Rags tommorrow?

Daniel

101 members have voted

1. 1. JMac fired after bad loss to Rangers?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou should just fire himself. While going player by player, the roster looks pretty good on paper, this is one of the worst assembled teams ever. I know he WAS one of the best GMs ever but there are very few who have done a worse job then him since the lockout. How long have we needed a top line puck moving defenseman? 2nd line center? Yeah, it's nice having the best LW depth in the league but not when it's at the cost of every other position and need or when those guys are constantly forced to play out of position. The recycling of players back from our glory days has also gotten old. Holik, Rolston and so far Arnott have all been sub-par on their return tour.

It also seems that the veteran core of this team may have gotten too soft and cozy. Again, that one is on Lou. Changing coaches yet again just makes this organization look like an even bigger joke. I never thought I would see this type of circus under Lou but it's getting embarrassing.

The recycling of players back from our glory days has also gotten old. Holik, Rolston and so far Arnott have all been sub-par on their return tour.

You can only really get on him for Rolston. Holik was sort of a nothing gained nothing lost signing. Since Arnott is on the last year of his deal, he's more of less the same. (I don't think there's another player that we would have gotten that would make much of difference sans Arnott).

I just hope, from a financial and morale standpoint, the team can absorb a year or two in the wilderness to rebuild.

You can only really get on him for Rolston. Holik was sort of a nothing gained nothing lost signing. Since Arnott is on the last year of his deal, he's more of less the same. (I don't think there's another player that we would have gotten that would make much of difference sans Arnott).

I just hope, from a financial and morale standpoint, the team can absorb a year or two in the wilderness to rebuild.

"Rebuild" is not in the Devils' vocabulary. We have the same approach as the NY Yankees...Every season it is CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST.

"Rebuild" is not in the Devils' vocabulary. We have the same approach as the NY Yankees...Every season it is CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST.

That may be the attitude, but apples and oranges in practice. The Yankees (or any MLB team that has the resources/willingness to spend) can go out and obtain an ace or big bat every single offseason. There's no cap, and players are more likely to hit free agency in the MLB. Much different in the NHL. In the NHL, not only is it rare that to have generational type players hit free agency in their prime at all, you're constrained by a pretty tight salary cap.

The Devils and the Red Wings are the only two teams in the past twenty years that haven't had to rebuild. The Wings should keep their streak going longer than the Devils because of better drafting and legal cap circumventing contracts.

Ask Lamoriello if that is his mentality and he will give you an astounding "Yes."

The point is, who cares what Lamoriello's mentality is? While he can be bull-headed at times, he'd be smart enough to recognize that an absolutely abysmmal season would require rebuilding.

That may be the attitude, but apples and oranges in practice. The Yankees (or any MLB team that has the resources/willingness to spend) can go out and obtain an ace or big bat every single offseason. There's no cap, and players are more likely to hit free agency in the MLB. Much different in the NHL. In the NHL, not only is it rare that to have generational type players hit free agency in their prime at all, you're constrained by a pretty tight salary cap.

The Devils and the Red Wings are the only two teams in the past twenty years that haven't had to rebuild. The Wings should keep their streak going longer than the Devils because of better drafting and legal cap circumventing contracts.

You obviously cannot approach free agency the same way as in baseball, but I was jjust talking about the goals/expectations of management...

That's great that that's Lou's attitude but it doesn't matter if the players don't share that attitude. Half the guys on this team are just treading water and picking up a check, the other half are halfway out the door with their eyes on joining other clubs after their contract is up.

I would bet you that most of the guys on the team thought we could win a Cup THIS season going into training camp. Whether or not they still believe that at this point in time is another story....

The point is, who cares what Lamoriello's mentality is? While he can be bull-headed at times, he'd be smart enough to recognize that an absolutely abysmmal season would require rebuilding.

The beginning has been abysmmal, but I am not going to label the SEASON abysmmal just yet. It has only been 9 games....approximately 11% of the season, still lots of puck left to be played and time to fix the disaster.

Perhaps the guys did think they would win the cup this season but why as opposed to any other season? Because of Kovalchuk or Volchenkov or having a solid center like Jason Arnott.

I will tell you why. Because they believed it last season, and we seemingly improved over the offseason with the additions of Tallinder, Volchenkov, Arnott, etc. I use the term "seemingly" because whether or not we actually improved remains to be seen. As of right now it does not appear to be true, however we are very early in the season and chemistry takes time to develop.

Shouldn't take this long for chemistry to develop. I could understand if there were still a few hiccups with the chemistry but the fact that there is little to no chemistry between the players, even players who have played together for a long time, shows me that this team just plain doesn't have it.

That's great that that's Lou's attitude but it doesn't matter if the players don't share that attitude. Half the guys on this team are just treading water and picking up a check, the other half are halfway out the door with their eyes on joining other clubs after their contract is up.

Who's your super secret source on this one???? What players do you think are oh so anxious to get to the end of their contracts and ditch the Devils for another team?? If Parise(which is who I'm assuming you're talking about here as he's the biggest player that is up to be resigned) doesn't stay with the Devils and give us a discount on him in order to help the team have more flexibility on signing other players that will help win the Cup, then fvck him. If he's not the team player I think he is and doesn't stay here for less than he would get on the FA market, then I don't want him on the team anyways. Devils players are supposed to care more for the team and how they can win Lord Stanley's Cup than getting their big payday and if Parise doesn't buy into that type of thinking, he's no real Devil.

You do realize this is real money and not monopoly money, right? Sure, I'm all about team loyalty, but asking a guy to give up, say, 1m/y for 7 years? For all of you mathy people out there that's 7 fvcking million dollars. I'm sure he's loyal enough to the point where if we offer ballpark he'll accept, but asking the guy to take a pay cut on the biggest financial deal of his lifetime? That's just silly.

And, for what it's worth, if some team swoops in and offers him something like 8m a year that we probably can't match, it doesn't make him a bad person for signing the contract.* (Not for nothing -- because I totally love Parise -- but I'd take 4 first round picks for him. We'd have 7 first round picks in 4 years (-1 from the stupid penalty) is enough to re-load this franchise. We're the devils, we don't rebuild we reload.)

*Note: The above applies to teams outside of the Rangers.