New Jersey Devils Shot Quality and Shot Quantity

Marshall

Very interesting read. Doesn't really help those of us who are now bi-polar, but...

The Devils fall right in the middle of the pack with 31.2 shots per game. The NHL average is 30.6, thus the Devils are slightly above average. Yet they are over a full goal below the NHL average in goals per game (which is at 2.77). Have the Devils just been getting goaltenders at their best? They have already faced of likes of Ryan Miller(twice), Jonas Hiller, Tim Thomas, Marc-Andre Fleury, Antero Niittymaki and Jonathan Quick.
I've calculated the average for each team. Here's the breakdown of the Devils. It's only for the first 10 games. To give you a visual and a sense of range, the distance between the crease and the blue line is 64 feet. The Devils average 33.6 feet per shot.

And when compared to the rest of the league ( .xlsx Excel file), they rank 3rd best (I've omitted the Rangers because the people working there don't know what they are doing) behind the Tampa Bay Lightning and San Jose Sharks, two teams that take a lot of shots. Is there any way we can explain the scoring woes?

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/11/1/1787568/new-jersey-devils-shot-quality-and-shot-quantity

Nice job on the analaysis, but the data doesn't deal with how square the goalie is to the shot or the traffic he has in front. The Devils don't have any East/West passing for scoring opportunities. Much of the shots we do have are one and done as well, with little to no traffic in front.

2 big things seem to be we generate no speed on the break out and our forecheck is too spread out. If they are trying to be an up tempo team, they really need to press better in the o zone. The oppositions D transitions out with little resistance way too often. And even when they mangae to force a turnover/bad pass/etc, there is too much time/space for the D too recover.

This is why I'm not a stats guy. All you need to do is have watched the games to realize that no matter how many shots they are producing, or how close they are shooting from, they're just not generating enough qulaity opportunities. If they were we would have more goals. Clarkson's disallowed goal is what you call a solid scoring chance, not some bullsh!t shot from the circles right into the chest of an over stuffed goalie. What a surprise that he scored there after establishing position around the crease and in front of the goalie. That is what they need, solid play in garbage areas. Even though the team is trying, they really need to battle more imo.

Edited by Sickman

I wish you'd change your avatar Marshall I love your posts most of the time but I can't stand watching that :P

You know I think I'll stalk you on the board and put Crosby in my avatar... like when I had to put schlong up and follow Masked fan around during the olympics...

and sickman I am completely with you.... I don't understand how it doesn't happen! I don't see how an ENTIRE team can NOT get where they have to be... one guy a game seems to be all they can muster. And I'm talking maybe Clarkson was in the right place ONCE.... then in another game Taoramina (I have NO idea how to spell his name even... ) can be in the right place to defend in another game two nights ago...

what IS that? I kind of dont understand. you know... when Stevens was there and it was like this - he'd be in the right area or he'd KNOW when he missed it and --- it gave me heart just to see SOMEONE knew what was going on even if he was inept and stuff... looked like he was CHOOSING to be inept even.... thinkin' 2002 :puke: I just see NO glimmer.... when someone is in the right place it's like they're being scofflaws - playing outside the system or something...

it just.... I know it won't make a difference is the point but.... it' just speaks to the leadership - the coaching. Larry said though that these guys just don't DO it! EVERY coach said it --- they see, they understand = they get it -- but they NEVER DO IT!

how does that happen? IS it the Minnesota Man mindset? I dont get it at all.... I'm beyond the crying with frustration stage -- I'm nearly beyond dumbfounded and maybe will slip into the well I love this team anyhow place soon... but the lack of logic is so weird... I --- I feel like my brain HAS to short circuit soon -- it doesn't not compute Danger Will Robinson Danger

I wish you'd change your avatar Marshall I love your posts most of the time but I can't stand watching that :P

You know I think I'll stalk you on the board and put Crosby in my avatar... like when I had to put schlong up and follow Masked fan around during the olympics...

Well, I'm quite fond of it. :P

Are you really gonna put yourself through that type of suffering, a Crosby avatar? That'll hurt you more than me! :evil:

This is why I'm not a stats guy. All you need to do is have watched the games to realize that no matter how many shots they are producing, or how close they are shooting from, they're just not generating enough qulaity opportunities. If they were we would have more goals. Clarkson's disallowed goal is what you call a solid scoring chance, not some bullsh!t shot from the circles right into the chest of an over stuffed goalie. What a surprise that he scored there after establishing position around the crease and in front of the goalie. That is what they need, solid play in garbage areas. Even though the team is trying, they really need to battle more imo.

+1

PK - Yeah it's pretty terrible. I really go into each game thinking that they will finally get it, but they never do. It really feels like Groundhog Day watching this team. Like you said, there is just no glimmer there. Their record sucks right now but it CAN be turned around. I just don't have any faith in the mindset of this team to actually get it done. The record says it all. Regardless of what bad breaks they may have faced, what they're doing is not working. People will look at last nights first period and say "see, they carried the play to Vancouver." Who gives a crap? When the Devils were one of the top teams there were plenty of teams that took the play to them at times but they still found ways to win. This team is unable to do that and imo it is way more of a mental thing then a talent issue, even with all the rookies that are playing. Look at how Vancouver scored their first 2 goals last night. I want some of that. They made the Devils pay on blatant mistakes. This is what hockey is all about, it's a game of mistakes. The Devils seem to never punish other teams when they screw up. Why? Just like you said, they just always seem to never be in the right position.

Triumph - they have seemed to be crashing the net better recently but it makes no difference when you skate passed every rebound. I don't know. I've been watching hockey for almost two decades and I just can't remember ever watching a team that has appeared this clueless on the ice. For every good thing they will do there will be 3 brain farts to go along with it. It's got nothing to do with luck imo (I never believed it did from the start), this is just a very poor team. It's like they're out there trying but their brains are on auto pilot. I see no active thinking going on. No engagement.

I'm not trying to discredit the stat guys. I just think this is clearly a situation when you can come to a solid conclusion about this team simply by just observing how they handle situations during games and the decisions they make. Read the body language. This team stinks, at least for now. Worst of all is that I think they know it.

Edited by Sickman

I gave up on In Lou We Trust a long time ago. If you want to turn an exciting action-packed sport like hockey into a boring drawn-out and stats-driven sport like baseball, then that is the site to go to. I do not care about Zajac's shooting percentage during a full moon that occur on a Thursday. I mean the guys on that site do a lot of work and go into a lot of detail, but there comes a point where less is more and have to realize that this sport is not nearly as stat-driven as other sports.

I gave up on In Lou We Trust a long time ago. If you want to turn an exciting action-packed sport like hockey into a boring drawn-out and stats-driven sport like baseball, then that is the site to go to. I do not care about Zajac's shooting percentage during a full moon that occur on a Thursday. I mean the guys on that site do a lot of work and go into a lot of detail, but there comes a point where less is more and have to realize that this sport is not nearly as stat-driven as other sports.

Shhhhh...you're gonna drive triumph bat sh!t crazy saying that. :giggle: