GDT: Buffalo Sabres @New Jersey Devils 7:00 EST

Devil Fan

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

came back from the game and there were both positives and obviously negatives from this game:

Positives:

PP Goal - kept it simple with a Arnott rocket and Zubie and Clarkson in front

Tedenby-Arnott-Elias line - thought Tedenby kept up well with the vets and was rewarded with his first NHL point. even got a great scoring chance but couldn't bury the shot in between the hashmarks

Steven Gionta - hit everyone not in red; i love the energy this guy brings to the team

Negatives:

Defensive coverage - especially atrocious with the Myers goal; go back and watch the replay - 4 Devils lined up in an I all on one side leaving Myers WIDE open

Clearing the zone - no explanation needed here

Top line - yes they scored a goal, but it was off a lucky bounce off a Sabres skate. Need more sustained pressure in the zone from these guys

Kovy - obviously the shootout attempt sucked and rifling a breakaway shot over the net didn't help either. But I have faith Kovy will turn it around - too talented not to

So overall, a step in the right direction by actually scoring some goals. But defensively we have more holes than Swiss Cheese and need to figure out some spacing and coverage issues that are killing the team and the goaltenders' chances of stopping some pucks. Because I thought Hedberg had a decent game - defense just left him out to dry on majority of the goals.

Who'd you have in mind? How about Bryan Adams, Don Duguid and Michael J. Fox.

I was thinking Pamela Anderson.. she could probably dish out hits better than half of our guys. She may pop an implant, but atleast she won't be injured for 3-4 months with an upper body injury.

I guess this is where we see what Kovy is really made of.

This has pretty much got to be the low point of his carer so far, and how he handles this now could define the rest of his year. I felt for him when he was skating off after his shootout atempt, the crowd sounded so angry (understandable), it was the last thing he needed really.

I have no idea what that fans reaction has been at the arena at home games (not like i can attend, but i would if i could), how has the crowd been at games this season???

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I seriously hate 95% of the Devils fans. I know all fan bases have their bad apples but NJ must have some of the dumbest turncoat fans in the NHL. They were just hidden for so many years due to the strength of our organization.

I know what you're saying, but keep in mind that there's a whole generation of Devils fans (say 20-25 years old) who have no memories regarding bad Devils teams. This has got to be a new and somewhat shocking experience for them...especially since there's good names on the roster. I'm not surprised that a lot of Devils fans don't know how to handle this yet.

As for Kovy...his contract pretty much dictates he's going to hear it, especially when he's done pretty much zilch to this point. The whole drawn-out, flat-out annoying contract negotation that wound up costing the Devils even more also ensured that fans weren't going to have much patience with him. $100 million can't buy heart, guts, or basic hockey instincts...like CD#9 says, we'll find out soon enough what Kovy's made of.

I say this every day, sometime in the season Kovalchuk will go on one of his 15 goal in 20 game streaks and everything will be forgotten. He is an elite scorer but also a streaky elite scorer. He gets his goals in bunches and when he does, we have a good chance of winning 15 of 20 games.

I know what you're saying, but keep in mind that there's a whole generation of Devils fans (say 20-25 years old) who have no memories regarding bad Devils teams. This has got to be a new and somewhat shocking experience for them...especially since there's good names on the roster. I'm not surprised that a lot of Devils fans don't know how to handle this yet.

As for Kovy...his contract pretty much dictates he's going to hear it, especially when he's done pretty much zilch to this point. The whole drawn-out, flat-out annoying contract negotation that wound up costing the Devils even more also ensured that fans weren't going to have much patience with him. $100 million can't buy heart, guts, or basic hockey instincts...like CD#9 says, we'll find out soon enough what Kovy's made of.

I feel like he is going through the same thing A-Rod did when he became a Yankee.. We aren't paying Kovalchuk more to be better than he has ever been, we just want him to be himself..

Btw, what did you think of my mask? I scared a kid by accident lol

If anyone ever told you suicide wasn't the answer, they were just being polite. You don't root for my team. You feel excited when they play well, and ditch them when they don't. You're not a fan, you're a fair-weather piece of worthless scum. I take sh!ts with more team spirit than you.

Jeez Marty, calm down.

So since everyone has been telling me how badly they played last night I had to see what I missed and read the comments

:mellow:

so all you guys took away was Tallinders awfulness and Kovalchuk's poor play? As IF I didn't see those and then some?

I'll be as negative as I can be...

I thought Greene was rather crappy -- out of control doing WAAAAY too much. Our tiny Ts Taoramina and Tedenby are not bad at all -- but they should be spare parts luxury guys IMO not our future.

Tallinder appears to have no idea where the puck is actually -- he just chases after whatever guy is moving fastest. He has anger issues but no channel for them AND to boot his face is put on goofy so he can't intimidate to save his soul. He seems like a dude who's goat is perpetually gotten and even he finds it mildly amusing.

I can't get too negative though -- sorry folks.

White was awesome - how many little breakaways did he have anyhow? He and Arnott just took the bull by the horns and played Devils hockey as best as they could remember -- and then some. Sort of cute - like a compromise - Offense will defend if Defense will play offense (not just play in a way offensive to the senses). Elias had some of the had he puts on himself lifted that was nice. People were finally getting on front of the net.

Honestly ... it starts right from warm ups. No one had a gameface on. and the whole thing is rather disorganized. Maybe it was stayed and boring before...but I rather enjoyed that. Now a lot is going on but it's all willynilly disorganized. I think I'm rather fastidious. The messiness of it all kind of got to me. :saddevil: I was thinking what can you really tell from warm ups anyhow.

But then I decided to see - Arnott started off the I dont knwo what you call it :blush: so anyhow -- the backwards skating fancy swooshy thing they all did -- he did a showy aggressive one -- I thought to myself THAT'S the guy who's going to have a game tonight -- although Stevens has been known to do just that and ... phhhewwww - just stink up the place. But that was my first impression. Second - Jamie had a cute lightness about him. Third - is it too soon to teach Magnan the game face? Will it be a mockery right now? The two goofy dudes in warm ups that just seemed struggling actually were Clarkson on our side and Leopold on Buffalo -- and weirdly those were the last two on the ice :noclue: Don't know what gives with that -- but that whole loosey goosey everyone dribble off the ice bugs me too.

well --- it's not there yet -- and maybe never will be.... there's just something about Magnan. Maybe it's as stupid as just the way he holds his stick, maybe it's something Larry teaches... :noclue: he also didn't believe he successfully I guess it was a poke check - I couldn't see it beneath the boards. If he can start beleiveing he's as good as he is then we might be in business there. His positioning isn't ideal -- but he's just not --- he's not taking control - which I think is probably a good thing at this point? He also is just getting the field of zone defense it feels like. I'm not sure what I'm looking at because I dont know hockey :evilcry: but I feel like no one here knows hockey either Why does no one else see that? :unsure: Am I wrong? I'm sure Jason can tell me why it's all very ambiguous and he's serviceable but doing nothing special as indicated on his stats sheet - lack of points and -2 +/- I'm sure Hockey Futures says nothing glowing either... but... I'm fond of him :giggle:

Ahh yes Volchenkov - interesting. He's not bad -- I'm not familiar with his feel. I can't read his feel except that he has one and it's decent. He's not an intimidator as of yet. his visor steamed up on him at one point -- grrr I'd hate that. He's comfortable in his skin though. We'll see ---

this is a mess of a post -- but I never have time to think this all through -- so anyhow -- I can't even check this now -- I'm just posting -- I'll edit if I have too BLAHH!

Funny thing about yesterday's game and then again we would have to check the other ones before I can really call it funny is that all 4 goals scored by Buffalo there was absolutely no rookie on defense skating except for the third one.

1ST: Greene and Volchenkov

2nd: White and Tallinder

Third: Greene and Taormina

4th: White and Tallinder

:noclue:

Edited by SS-SS

Watching on TV, I didn't really hear that many boos at all.

It's MSG, they always mute the crowd noise at our arena.

But for what it's worth I definitely heard boos after Kovy's shootout flub and apparently he got booed pretty good when he shot that breakaway into the stands late in the third too.

For my first game back in the area, it was a lot of fun with the back and forth but that end was just crushing. I was all set to claim myself as the #1 good luck charm and Kovaljoke messed that all up for me.

He's not a doctor. He's a fat curly-headed fvck.

So since everyone has been telling me how badly they played last night I had to see what I missed and read the comments

:mellow:

so all you guys took away was Tallinders awfulness and Kovalchuk's poor play? As IF I didn't see those and then some?

I'll be as negative as I can be...

I thought Greene was rather crappy -- out of control doing WAAAAY too much. Our tiny Ts Taoramina and Tedenby are not bad at all -- but they should be spare parts luxury guys IMO not our future.

Tallinder appears to have no idea where the puck is actually -- he just chases after whatever guy is moving fastest. He has anger issues but no channel for them AND to boot his face is put on goofy so he can't intimidate to save his soul. He seems like a dude who's goat is perpetually gotten and even he finds it mildly amusing.

I can't get too negative though -- sorry folks.

White was awesome - how many little breakaways did he have anyhow? He and Arnott just took the bull by the horns and played Devils hockey as best as they could remember -- and then some. Sort of cute - like a compromise - Offense will defend if Defense will play offense (not just play in a way offensive to the senses). Elias had some of the had he puts on himself lifted that was nice. People were finally getting on front of the net.

Honestly ... it starts right from warm ups. No one had a gameface on. and the whole thing is rather disorganized. Maybe it was stayed and boring before...but I rather enjoyed that. Now a lot is going on but it's all willynilly disorganized. I think I'm rather fastidious. The messiness of it all kind of got to me. :saddevil: I was thinking what can you really tell from warm ups anyhow.

But then I decided to see - Arnott started off the I dont knwo what you call it :blush: so anyhow -- the backwards skating fancy swooshy thing they all did -- he did a showy aggressive one -- I thought to myself THAT'S the guy who's going to have a game tonight -- although Stevens has been known to do just that and ... phhhewwww - just stink up the place. But that was my first impression. Second - Jamie had a cute lightness about him. Third - is it too soon to teach Magnan the game face? Will it be a mockery right now? The two goofy dudes in warm ups that just seemed struggling actually were Clarkson on our side and Leopold on Buffalo -- and weirdly those were the last two on the ice :noclue: Don't know what gives with that -- but that whole loosey goosey everyone dribble off the ice bugs me too.

well --- it's not there yet -- and maybe never will be.... there's just something about Magnan. Maybe it's as stupid as just the way he holds his stick, maybe it's something Larry teaches... :noclue: he also didn't believe he successfully I guess it was a poke check - I couldn't see it beneath the boards. If he can start beleiveing he's as good as he is then we might be in business there. His positioning isn't ideal -- but he's just not --- he's not taking control - which I think is probably a good thing at this point? He also is just getting the field of zone defense it feels like. I'm not sure what I'm looking at because I dont know hockey :evilcry: but I feel like no one here knows hockey either Why does no one else see that? :unsure: Am I wrong? I'm sure Jason can tell me why it's all very ambiguous and he's serviceable but doing nothing special as indicated on his stats sheet - lack of points and -2 +/- I'm sure Hockey Futures says nothing glowing either... but... I'm fond of him :giggle:

Ahh yes Volchenkov - interesting. He's not bad -- I'm not familiar with his feel. I can't read his feel except that he has one and it's decent. He's not an intimidator as of yet. his visor steamed up on him at one point -- grrr I'd hate that. He's comfortable in his skin though. We'll see ---

this is a mess of a post -- but I never have time to think this all through -- so anyhow -- I can't even check this now -- I'm just posting -- I'll edit if I have too BLAHH!

Reading this post is like having a homework assignment !!

Watching on TV, I didn't really hear that many boos at all.

I was there. There weren't so many boos as there was a whole lot of disgusted comments from other fans. We were in the upper concourse and we took the stairs down and people were chanting "Koval-SUCK". I was pretty disgusted and ashamed to be a Devils fan at that point in time.

I seriously hate 95% of the Devils fans. I know all fan bases have their bad apples but NJ must have some of the dumbest turncoat fans in the NHL. They were just hidden for so many years due to the strength of our organization.

If you are referring to the criticism of Kovy than I definitely disagree with you. I know i stand for a lot of people when I say that I stick up for my team and want whats best for them. Its not that I would yell at Kovy but, especially with that contract, you better expect someone to say something. I'm passionate about this team and i'm definitely gonna say something if there is something I dont like.

There may be some people who are fake fans and will completely turn on someone at the instant a mistake is made, but im saying theres many who are just saying whats on their mind. I BELIEVE Kovy will step up and i BELIEVE the devs will turn around. There is a difference between being a "turncoat" and pointing out that a player needs to show up, specifically one that is somewhat new to our team. Besides, a team obviously needs people to say something and show some kind of passion, isnt that what we're here for?