TSA Lunacy

Daniel

My link

This crazy lady (the person the link is writing about) brings new meaning to Reagan's quip that the scariest words in the English language are "I'm with the government, and I'm here to help".

While you're free to pick apart many of the logical flaws in her "arguments", the one I like is flying is privilege, therefore the TSA can do whatever it wants to you if you want to fly. First off, flying is not a privilege, it's an agreement between the airline carrier and me to take me somewhere. But even if it is a "privilege", I assume Miss Mom Against The World won't mind being given a cavity search when driving on the interstate considering that driving is a "privilege".

Someone suggested putting a sticker on his carry on luggage that says "F**k the TSA". While I'm not that crazy, I would love to witness the reaction of the moron who sees the need to give an eighty year old woman with a walker a full body pat down.

My link

This crazy lady (the person the link is writing about) brings new meaning to Reagan's quip that the scariest words in the English language are "I'm with the government, and I'm here to help".

While you're free to pick apart many of the logical flaws in her "arguments", the one I like is flying is privilege, therefore the TSA can do whatever it wants to you if you want to fly. First off, flying is not a privilege, it's an agreement between the airline carrier and me to take me somewhere. But even if it is a "privilege", I assume Miss Mom Against The World won't mind being given a cavity search when driving on the interstate considering that driving is a "privilege".

Someone suggested putting a sticker on his carry on luggage that says "F**k the TSA". While I'm not that crazy, I would love to witness the reaction of the moron who sees the need to give an eighty year old woman with a walker a full body pat down.

If you want to eat in a restaurant you have to wear a shirt and shoes. If you want to drive on the highway you have to have a registered / inspected vehicle and obey the laws. If you want to enter an arena / stadium you are subject to search. If you want to fly you have to follow their rules. If you don't like it - too bad.

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Edited by rpaq88

If you want to eat in a restaurant you have to wear a shirt and shoes. If you want to drive on the highway you have to have a registered / inspected vehicle and obey the laws. If you want to enter an arena / stadium you are subject to search. If you want to fly you have to follow their rules. If you don't like it - too bad.

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Good Lebowski reference, but Petey states it well. Public/private enforcement matters.

What's also interesting is that the TSA is threatening to fine people who don't consent AND who choose not to take their flight.

Good Lebowski reference, but Petey states it well. Public/private enforcement matters.

What's also interesting is that the TSA is threatening to fine people who don't consent AND who choose not to take their flight.

I'm not disagreeing that the system has problems and anytime the government gets involved it usually turns into a cluster. My point was simply that the rules (if you agree with them or not) are in place and you know that when you book a flight.

I'm not disagreeing that the system has problems and anytime the government gets involved it usually turns into a cluster. My point was simply that the rules (if you agree with them or not) are in place and you know that when you book a flight.

That's not necessarily true. The Radiation Boxes are not at every airport and the list on the TSA site is outdated. It is entirely possible to not think you will see one when you book your ticket and then see one when you get to the airport.

Rules ... the rules are that the TSA will do whatever they want to passengers with stopping terrorism as an excuse for any of their actions.

There's no consistency. All they want to do is play on people's fears and intimidate them. What's happening now with the full-body scans and the invasive pat-downs is just awful.

They'll never stop.

My link

link fail daniel son

fixed

I have to say Tyner makes an excellent point in his case. They aren't forcing everyone through the back scatter / pat down option screenings, just "selected" people, whether you believe thats random or not.

If 80% of the people just have to submit themselves through the typical metal detectors how much safer are we by forcing the other 20% to be either digitally exposed or physically molested?

Edited by squishyx

blame must also be placed at the feet (pun intended) of the terrorists who have flown airplanes into buildings killing thousands of innocents and the ones who have attempted to bring down planes filled with citizens by snuggling explosives in their shampoo, nikes and fruit of the looms... if it wasnt for them, were not having this conversation

someone come up with a viable solution that we all agree with and well go with that...

and the whole 'opt out day' on one of the heaviest travel days of the year .. doh! only creates issues for travelers-- so theyre really fracking themselves and their fellow flyers.. that day is bad enough w/o the hoopla.. but hey Im not flying then sooooo HA HA (in by best muntz)

blame must also be placed at the feet (pun intended) of the terrorists who have flown airplanes into buildings killing thousands of innocents and the ones who have attempted to bring down planes filled with citizens by snuggling explosives in their shampoo, nikes and fruit of the looms... if it wasnt for them, were not having this conversation

someone come up with a viable solution that we all agree with and well go with that...

and the whole 'opt out day' on one of the heaviest travel days of the year .. doh! only creates issues for travelers-- so theyre really fracking themselves and their fellow flyers.. that day is bad enough w/o the hoopla.. but hey Im not flying then sooooo HA HA (in by best muntz)

Whether the terrorists should be blamed is besides the point. Yes, we know that much of what has taken place in the past ten years wouldn't have happened, but for them. But the point is, is to respond effectively. Giving full body pat-downs to toddlers, nuns and people in walkers is not only a curtailment of basic decency, it's totally USELESS.

Alternatives. Well first, off, I think effective metal detectors and photo id checks are fine. Even the taking off of the shoes, while ridiculous, is also something I can live with. Second, if you have to pull people over for frisking or body scans, maybe act with a little more common sense and realize that an eight year girl is not going to hi-jack a plane.

You can always theoretically enhance security, but would you think it's okay for the TSA to demand random cavity searches since some people have apparently tried to shove explosives where the sun don't shine?

I don't know what it is that makes people lose all common sense when they get a government pay check.

Are these people serious?

A number of airline workers, security professionals and technologists say they agree that Wi-Fi can create serious security risks. The Association of Flight Attendants, for example, has asked the government to ban Wi-Fi.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/airline-wi-fi-sparks-743309.html

Where does it end? Do we all have to fly naked and are not allowed any luggage at all? Of course keeping your ID would be hard but it is what you have to do to fly! Safety!!!!!

I've never had a major problem with the US TSA. I get my bag searched every once in a while, but the only time I've had anything taken is in Toronto. I was carrying a cheapo stamped sheet metal hex wrench (think of the crap they give you with Ikea furniture) which I needed to put something together. The guy tells me since it's a "tool" I can't keep it... like I'm going to use it to disassemble the plane or something.

The TSA is more reasonable here since they allow tools under 7 inches in length... the Canadians just ban tools outright.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.