Sidney Crosby's Pyramid Trick

Quinn01

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fake. Look at 0:15. There is one puck left. He shoots it. Then look at 0:17. There is an extra puck that was not there.

FAAAAKE!

It's not fake. It may have been edited, with different clips or takes spliced together, but it's not fake. Those extra pucks could have came from the pile of pucks when he took the slap shot and they went flying everywhere.

Also, the one where the net moves is real. Why do you guys find it so hard to believe his shot can push the net back? It's not attached to the ice, and it's ICE, so of course it's going to slide when a 100 mph puck transfers its force to the net.

It's not fake. It may have been edited, with different clips or takes spliced together, but it's not fake. Those extra pucks could have came from the pile of pucks when he took the slap shot and they went flying everywhere.

Also, the one where the net moves is real. Why do you guys find it so hard to believe his shot can push the net back? It's not attached to the ice, and it's ICE, so of course it's going to slide when a 100 mph puck transfers its force to the net.

This topic reminds me of a Demetri Martin joke - "I think the best part about being dumb is that it makes magic a lot better: 'Where the hell did that rabbit come from?!' 'I don't know, but I'm calling the cops, because that guy just sawed a woman in half.'"

I've never seen the slap shot one everyone's talking about, but if Chara's 105+ MPH shot in the Skills Competition didn't make the cage budge, I don't think Sidney's will.

Speaking of Skills Competition, let's see if Sidney's in the accuracy one this year. If he can hit pucks rolling along the top of the boards, he can hit much larger foam targets attached to the posts without a problem. From my memory, only Norris Thief and Easter Island Head ever went 4-for-4.

:rolleyes:

Ok bud, thanks for clearing that up for us. Crosby's slapshots can totally make the net jump up off the ice and slide back several feet. And he can definitely shoot accurately enough to hit two single pucks off the top of a pile without touching the others. Oh, and some guy "just happened" to be filming all of this and had no clue at all that such amazing things would happen.

The whole point of these video is to generate debate over whether they are real or not and attract more attention to the videos and therefore more attention to Reebok's product.

Haha. The net is not lodged in to begin with. Did you even watch the video?

I've never seen the slap shot one everyone's talking about, but if Chara's 105+ MPH shot in the Skills Competition didn't make the cage budge, I don't think Sidney's will.

Speaking of Skills Competition, let's see if Sidney's in the accuracy one this year. If he can hit pucks rolling along the top of the boards, he can hit much larger foam targets attached to the posts without a problem. From my memory, only Norris Thief and Easter Island Head ever went 4-for-4.

Uhh the net is usually held in by metal posts that are submerged in the ice, so a normal slap shot, no matter how hard, would never dislodge it. The shot Crosby took had the net dislodged already, but yea it still is fake IMO.

The puck one is most probably real.. just a few different cuts put together. Give him twenty shots and I'm sure he can hit a puck off the top of the pile..

... then it isn't real.

Uhh there's a difference between a completely fabricated CGI video and cutting together different clips.

I think he made all of those shots. DId he make them all in a row? No. Does that make it fake? Eh.

i'm seriously mindblown that anyone could think the vids are fake... edited, maybe. but anyone who has ever played hockey and seen a slapshot would know that it's perfectly possible for THE BEST HOCKEY PLAYER IN THE WORLD to take a slapshot that would move the net like that.

Haha. I never said the net was lodged in to begin with. Did you even read my comment?

Well you got me there. But do you really think it's impossible for a Sidney Crosby slapshot to move the net "several feet"? Do you also think it's uncommon for him to be filmed while playing hockey(or doing hockey related things)?

Well you got me there. But do you really think it's impossible for a Sidney Crosby slapshot to move the net "several feet"? Do you also think it's uncommon for him to be filmed while playing hockey(or doing hockey related things)?

Think of it this way - even if you can't see the net moving before the puck hits it on one of the shots (which a lot of people have pointed out), just focus on the last slapshot. The motion here that's most interesting is the upward motion. The net literally jumps UP off the ice. Ignoring the horizontal movement for a second, when have you ever seen a net move upward on a shot? The pegs in the ice limit the net's from lateral movement but it still slides right up and out with upward force. Therefore it should move up just as easily on any shot when it is pegged or unpegged. I have personally never seen a net move upward on any shot alone, not even on Chara's record-breaking shot. If you believe that this is a possible event, please show me some video evidence of an NHL net being moved visibly upward on a shot alone. It just doesn't happen. Nets are heavy and pucks are comparatively light. The physics just don't make sense.

Is this enough for you to open your mind up to the possibility that this is fake? Or are you still convinced that Crosby has super powers?

Dude, Crosby DOES have borderline super powers. He is LITERALLY the best hockey player in the world. Until I watch the vids in slow motion(i won't), I don't buy that "the net is moving before the puck hits it". The net moves upward because the puck travels along an upward trajectory maybe? It starts on the ground, and moves vertically upward. That's simple to understand.

F=MA. A puck weighs about 6 ounces. A net weighs up to 40 pounds. I'll let you do the math.

Edited by deb4te

I feel like an idiot for getting suckered back into this, but there isn't much else to talk about, so ...

The video is Sidney hitting four targets in five attempts. If, in actuality, it took him more than five attempts to hit those four targets, it's fake. The activity the video presents isn't genuine. It's altered. Therefore, fake. Give Elias unlimited attempts and a crafty editor and he can make the same video. Same goes for Kovalchuk. Or Colin freaking White, for that matter (there'd be a mile and a half of tape on the cutting room floor, of course, but that's the point).

Edited = Fake. And the fact that he has that smug look on his face after making a fake video makes me hate the little diving pansy even more.

I feel like an idiot for getting suckered back into this, but there isn't much else to talk about, so ...

The video is Sidney hitting four targets in five attempts. If, in actuality, it took him more than five attempts to hit those four targets, it's fake. The activity the video presents isn't genuine. It's altered. Therefore, fake. Give Elias unlimited attempts and a crafty editor and he can make the same video. Same goes for Kovalchuk. Or Colin freaking White, for that matter (there'd be a mile and a half of tape on the cutting room floor, of course, but that's the point).

Edited = Fake. And the fact that he has that smug look on his face after making a fake video makes me hate the little diving pansy even more.

Thank you! Why can't anyone else understand that. You could even put me in that damn video and after a whole day i could make those shots at least once.

I happen to be a huge tennis fan as well as hockey fan and was watching a match where they had federer in the booth and they showed and talked about that video and despite the fact that he (probably contractually) couldn't out and say yes it's fake, he all but said it was fake. the same, i'm sure, goes for all of these videos.

strings, good camera work, and a few takes is all you need to make a video like this.

Oh and the person who had the whole F=MA "you do the math" :giggle::rolleyes: seriously??? "The math" associated with that is FAR more complicated than that equation which wouldn't even begin to tell you whether that could work (which it wouldn't unless you could take a slapshot vertically from under the bar that was going ~200mph).

If you want simple physics to work with in these videos, a good place to start would be the static friction from te puck on puck contact that would prevent the top puck from coming cleanly off of the next row of pucks without those pucks also moving.

Plain and simple these videos are all fake, and plain and simple they are a GREAT marketig tool regardless

I happen to be a huge tennis fan as well as hockey fan and was watching a match where they had federer in the booth and they showed and talked about that video and despite the fact that he (probably contractually) couldn't out and say yes it's fake, he all but said it was fake. the same, i'm sure, goes for all of these videos.

strings, good camera work, and a few takes is all you need to make a video like this.

Oh and the person who had the whole F=MA "you do the math" :giggle::rolleyes: seriously??? "The math" associated with that is FAR more complicated than that equation which wouldn't even begin to tell you whether that could work (which it wouldn't unless you could take a slapshot vertically from under the bar that was going ~200mph).

If you want simple physics to work with in these videos, a good place to start would be the static friction from te puck on puck contact that would prevent the top puck from coming cleanly off of the next row of pucks without those pucks also moving.

Plain and simple these videos are all fake, and plain and simple they are a GREAT marketig tool regardless

Obviously F=MA isn't going to solve the entire problem. The math would not be that complicated. All you'd have to do is figure out how much force a puck at a certain speed would generate, and then how much force is required to move a 40 pound net. I was just saying that to prove a point. Yeah, there's air resistance and friction and it would depend on where the puck hit, but it's all negligible.

I don't really want to entertain an argument in favor of the pyramid trick being real, so I'll just ask, if it was fake, why wouldn't they just edit it so he knocks every puck off one-by-one? Wouldn't that be cooler than him just missing and then knocking the whole thing over with a slapshot?

Obviously F=MA isn't going to solve the entire problem. The math would not be that complicated. All you'd have to do is figure out how much force a puck at a certain speed would generate, and then how much force is required to move a 40 pound net. I was just saying that to prove a point. Yeah, there's air resistance and friction and it would depend on where the puck hit, but it's all negligible.

I don't really want to entertain an argument in favor of the pyramid trick being real, so I'll just ask, if it was fake, why wouldn't they just edit it so he knocks every puck off one-by-one? Wouldn't that be cooler than him just missing and then knocking the whole thing over with a slapshot?

Because a more blatant fake wouldn't generate quite this sort of interest.