• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=64563&hubName=nhl

Flyers acquire Comrie from Oilers

TSN.ca Staff

12/16/2003

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have acquired the rights to restricted free agent centre Mike Comrie from the Edmonton Oilers in exchange for defenseman Jeff Woywitka, a first round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and a third round pick in 2005 NHL Entry Draft, according to General Manager Bob Clarke.

''We believe that this really strengthens our club down the middle,'' said Clarke in making the announcement. ''It gives us a very creative and quick center man and these types of players make the players around them better. Mike is unsigned. He is a free agent at this time whose rights we now own. Were going to work hard to get him signed and get him into our lineup.''

The 23-year-old Comrie has yet to play this season. In 69 games for the Oilers during the 2002-03 season, the 59, 185-pound centre recorded 20 goals and 31 assists for 51 points and 90 penalty minutes. In 192 career NHL games over three seasons with Edmonton (2000-01 through 2002-03), Comrie has registered 61 goals and 72 assists for 133 points and 149 penalty minutes. He set career highs for goals in a season (33), points in a season (60) and games played in a season (82) during the 2001-02 season.

A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Comrie was originally drafted from the University of Michigan by the Oilers in the third round (91st overall) of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.

The 20-year-old Woywitka had recorded six assists and 51 penalty minutes in 29 games for the Flyers American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms, this season. He was originally drafted from the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League by the Flyers in the first round (27th overall) of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

Itll be interesting to see what they gave up... I hope they wasted their future on Comrie :) If the flyers "Stole" Comrie, Id be rather upset...

"defenseman Jeff Woywitka, a first round pick in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and a third round pick in 2005 NHL Entry Draft"

Who knows... first round picks can be huge, but so can Comrie...

We didn't have the money or the inclination.

I didn't want a problem child like Comrie, but it's clear that Lou's going to have to make a nice move at the deadline, else risk losing to the Flyers, Senators, or Leafs..

This is the day I start to seriously worry about our chances this year.

AND I AM NO PESSIMIST! I am still optimistic but... damn. This is exactly who they needed to gain true superiority over us.

I don't think this team has to worry about the Flyers, Senators or Leafs -be aware of them yes, but worry -no.

This team plays it's best hockey come crunch time and come playoff series time. I think Lou has this bunch playing with confidence in each other. Can you really say there is a weak link on this team? Defense and goaltending wins Cups. This team is the echelon of that.

Man, I think Clarke's a moron. He didn't need another center. And he gave up a pretty good D prospect and two draft picks. Getting Comrie might screw up the Flyers' chemistry. I just don't see where he fits.

They have Roenick, Handzus and Primeau already. How do they balance it out without ticking someone off?

Dumb deal.

Derek, Handzus can play wing, and will play left wing, for sure. This frees up the Flyers to deal Gagne or Williams for someone like Sergei Gonchar. Or, worse yet, Olaf Kolzig and Sergei Gonchar..although with the way Kolzig's been playing, that might be a good thing.

The Flyers roster will not stay like this all year. And who cares about the prospects, Clarke's going for the Cup this year.

Tri, Zeus is better as a center. He's imposing and tough to handle. I wonder if they'll put Comrie on the wing instead. I think Clarke's dumb. Williams is a very good player. Are they ready to give up on Gagne? Not too long ago, this guy was pretty dangerous. And remember, he's still probably not 100% from last year's injuries. Gagne can be a force when he's on. I think Clarke now has too many centers and it might be tough on line chemistry.

But who knows if Comrie will even play for the Flyers.. I could envision him as going to Anaheim with Esche for Gerber and Vishnevsky, or being sent off somewhere else for goaltending help.. to Florida with Williams for Luongo? Who knows. Clarke now has a great deal of depth, and if he sticks with this roster as is, he's an idiot, but if he's able to make a similar move in a month's time, he'll look like a genius.

just another star type player into the pot there. we screamed when the got JR. we freaked when they got Amonte.

like yogi says when yanks fans worry about the red sox:

what are you worried about? We've been beating these guys forever.

it's another name, but you still have to play defense in hitch's system, something comrie hasn't exactly been great at.

and it was touched on earlier: hackett stinks. esche stinks. kolzig stinks. who's gonna play goal for this team?

and let them get gonchar...his offensive tendencies will simply leave them exposed for counter-attacks. should they trade for a solid defensive defenseman, i'll be more concerned.

And I say...so what.

*patiently waits for half of the board to abandon ship*

Every year...

No way abandoning ship...

...starting to worry? A bit more, yes.

Ehh I'm not directing that towards you...but it's just annoying how after EVERY time an Eastern Conference...well, more specifically, a Divisional opponent makes a move, many people start freaking out saying WE need to make a move otherwise we won't win the Cup, make the playoffs, get very far, blah blah blah.

And yeah, I'll admit that I even leaned towards that direction after we didn't get Selanne last season (oh, buttbuddy!)...but hey, we won the Cup, w00t!