2011 New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

http://riveraveblues.com/2011/03/cervelli-out-at-least-four-weeks-with-broken-foot-44173/

The Yankees have announced that Frankie Cervelli has a fractured bone in his left foot and will be in a boot and unable to perform baseball activities for the next four weeks. Six-to-eight weeks is the realistic timetable for when he’ll be able to return to the team. Cervelli suffered the injury when he fouled a ball off the top of the foot earlier this week. He stayed in that game for another inning but was eventually lifted.

Cervelli has horrible luck in spring training. Looks like the opportunity is really open for Jesus to get the backup C role now.

• 3 weeks later...

Yankees trade Sergio Mitre to Milwaukee

It's not immediately know what the Yankees received in return for the veteran right-hander.

Mitre entered spring training with an outside chance to win a spot in New York's starting rotation, as well as an opportunity to pitch long relief. But Ivan Nova appears to have won the No. 4 spot, and Freddy Garcia is the leading candidate for the fifth spot, with Bartolo Colon also in the mix. The Yankees also signed free agent Kevin Millwood to a minor league deal on Friday.

Edited by nyrsuck26

Mitre is a funny guy. Despite a nice-looking 4.28 xFIP in 400+ ML innings, his strand rate has been below average and hes very homer-prone despite being a big-time groundballer, leading to his actual results being quite poor (5.27 ERA). I tend to lean towards HR/FB% being luck instead of a skill (granted its an endless debate, see: Matt Cain), so maybe there's still hope Mitre's luck can turn around. But he does seem like one of those guys that the advanced stats says should be decent but the results continue trend the opposite way.

I'm hoping the rotation goes CC, Hughes, Burnett, Nova, Garcia. Garcia has looked good in Spring Training. Having Colon and Millwood lurking around the corner is also a plus. It's weird the Yankees pluck these over the hill veterans, and give them tryouts. Chavez, Jones, etc. This wouldn't be the first time the Yankees have done this.

Girardi announced Nova is the 4, Garcia 5, and Colon in the bullpen. I thought I read awhile back that Colon wouldn't accept a bullpen assignment but this is great news he will. Having both Garcia and Colon on the roster with Millwood in AAA with kids like Noesi, Warren, and Phelps gives them nice depth.

I'm hoping the rotation goes CC, Hughes, Burnett, Nova, Garcia. Garcia has looked good in Spring Training. Having Colon and Millwood lurking around the corner is also a plus. It's weird the Yankees pluck these over the hill veterans, and give them tryouts. Chavez, Jones, etc. This wouldn't be the first time the Yankees have done this.

Whats weird about giving veterans tryouts? If you go strictly with kids and they fail then you have no options. These guys aren't the players they once were but you at least know what they used to be able to do and have an idea of what they still may capable of. Jones won't kill them in the field, can provide some power off the bench, and hit lefties. I doubt Chavez stays healthy but if he does he gives them another bench player who can provide some power. Garcia, Colon, Millwood prevent them from having to rush/force a kid into a role there not capable of yet.

Phil Hughes sucks.

Boone Logan sucks.

The only reason Jeter hasn't been bumped to 7th in the lineup is because his name is 'Derek Jeter'

Boone Logan sucks.

Boone Logan sucks.

Bye.

Unfortunately, this is all true.

He stunk it up down the stretch last year. I'm scared that teams are figuring him out.

I think part of his problem down the stretch last year could've been the efffects of pitching more innings than he ever did in a season. If he continues to struggle for a couple more starts I'll worry but since it's so early I'm going to hold off.

Unfortunately it looks like Girardi is only going to use Soriano in the 8th inning and with a lead rather than the highest leverage situation. It's a shame they aren't using this bullpen flexibility to their advantage. I hope one day we see teams get rid of the idea of "closers" or inning specific pitchers and use their best relievers in the highest leverage situations.

Yankees kept chipping away tonight and find themselves in extra innings after Jorge launches another home run. Not thrilled with how Girardi managed the rest of the inning. Granderson doubles then Girardi calls for the bunt which I don't think made any sense and Martin gets himself down to 2 strikes and strikes out. Then he didn't pinch hit Chavez for Gardner who ended up striking out. Hopefully the pull it out in the bottom part of the 10th.

I was stuck listening to the first half of the game on the radio driving back from school so I didn't get to see Hughes but from what I heard he was barely hitting 90. I'm not ready to panic yet but hopefully he gets that velocity up asap.

• 4 weeks later...

Girardi micromanaging at its finest last night.

Also, we couldn't hit water if we jumped out of a boat with RISP.

Yeah, its ashame we wasted such a good performance from AJ. The way the pitching staff looks this year, we can't really afford to lose low scoring games.

Joba the Gut strikes again.

I've never hated a player on my own team more than I hate that fat bastard. He really looks like he doesn't give a sh!t. fvck him.

Are you serious? Every relief pitcher has bad outings throughout the year, accept it and move on...we're all frustrated with the past few weeks but you can't overreact. Joba cares, they all care, I haven't seen anything to say otherwise. It's a long season.

I'm not worried about this team, I think they'll turn it around, just one of those slumps right now. I am worried about the Posada situation blowing out of control. It's definitely not ideal and a lot remains unclear after Posada's presser. I know I get on Girardi a lot for his in-game managing, but I think he handled his presser about Posada extremely well, even though you could tell he was pissed off. Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Posada didn't hide his dislike for Cashman too which I thought was interesting. There is definitely some rough feelings between Cashman and some of the vets like Posada and Jeter.

The only Yankee starter with an ERA higher than 4 is Ivan Nova, and considering xFIP agrees, there's a decent chance that could continue. Their bullpen has at least 4 really good relievers in Rivera, Joba, Robertson, and Soriano (hes sucked but he'll turn it around). Their offense, even with Posada's major struggles, remains top flight - 1st in the AL in wOBA and 3rd in runs scored.

The division is really good, but there's still a lot there to be a top 2 team. The Rays are due to come back to earth some too, I think. Besides Price and Shields, their other 3 starters have an xFIP of 4.40 or higher. Their offense (in wOBA terms) has been decent but not much better than average, if that.

Also, take it for whatever its worth, but the Yankees have a better team wOBA and team xFIP than anyone in their division. Don't panic just yet. ;)

Edited by nmigliore

Having 2 quality pitchers (tops) on your rotation doesn't constitute a "slump".

No offense but you couldn't pay me to listen to anything Francesa has to say (or really any sports talk hosts since they're all garbage in NY). It's a long season, there are going to be weeks were everything goes right and weeks were everything goes wrong. The team we've seen recently isn't the real time, everyone needs to stop panicking.