GDT: NJ Devils @ NY Islanders

Colin226

It's absolutely ridiculous to pin this all on Ilya Kovalchuck. This team as a whole sucks! The Arnott line is the only decent line this team has and that's mostly because of the energy Teddenby is bringing to the team.

Be Kind and rewind...

Let's see:

1 -Him wanting millions of dollars in a some obscure long term deal cost the Devils the chance to pick/tade for a guy who could play the point. Greene and Taormina are not the LONG term answer for a number 1 offensive D guy.

2 -No one wants this guy around and I bet you there is anomosity in the locker room espeically now with his lack of production. As a Bruins fan pointed out elsewhere: Shawn Thornton has as MANY goals as Kovalchuk.

3 -For a superstar he sure doesn't bring his fellow teammates to the next level. Ovechking does, so does Malkin, Stamkos does too, but this guy doesn't. With all that money he is making for life... I won't even go there.

4 -Lack of heart. I compare Kovalchuk to Hossa. It is a fairly good comparison with Height, postion, weight, and playing style. Hossa hustles back on D, I don't see that with Kovalchuk EVER. Hossa wants to win and Kovalchuk just wants the puck (see the many times he either takes the puck off players sticks, or tells them he is going to take it.

5 -Piss poor attitude. He scored 40 goals almost every season in the NHL and people are blaming a lack of a number one center as being the culprit. Hello, he played in Atlanta. He didn't always have Savard as his center and still scored. Good players find ways of scoring regardless.

6 -NOT Clutch. He does not handle pressure well. Kovalchuk can make some amazing plays, but put him on the ice when it matters and he will not preform. All that money and you can't come through in the clutch. Don't give me the shoot out goal the other night either, going first in the shoot out has zero pressure compared to the previous time when Langenbrunner came through to send it to sudden death. THAT IS CLUTCH!

7 -Salary Cap. His hit wouldn't allow the Devils to play a full team one night. You can blame Rolston all you want, but this guy will be a big thorn in the Devils side for years to come. Hopefullyh the thorn doesn't bury itself deeper.

I am all but begging to be proven wrong, but Kovalchuk just validates points. This guy, one way or another is the cause of the majority of the Devils issues one way or another.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with Magnan playing, at least for me, is that he is a constant reminder of how damn awful this team and season has been so far. When you're basically in December and this kid is playing a regular shift for you, it just makes you realize what a total sh!t show this season has become.

I just love the post game quotes from the players and Mac. Give me a break. Bunch of fvcking jokers. It's the same old song and dance that we have seen and heard all season. "Not enough energy...We have to stick with it..."I skipped on the 3rd period but knew exactly what happened. They didn't score but they turned up the heat for 20 minutes and out shot the other team by a wide margin by taking low percentage shots. Now where the hell have I seen that before? They're so predictable that it's actually sad at this point.

This team basically drove their season off of a cliff today. 59 games to go blah blah blah. They bring a sh!t effort to the ice far too often and then proceed to do nothing about it except talk. That's all they do. They would be great on the message boards.

Ya know, I didn't even read any of their stupid-ass quotes because I knew how much more disgusted it would make me. There's no fire. There's no passion. Hey a$$holes- you just got SHUT-OUT by a team that had lost 14 fvckING GAMES IN A ROW. How about someone being PISSED THE fvck OFF??!!

Edited by MadDog2020

Kovalchuk has been here damn near a full year and has done exactly jack sh!t. Jack. And sh!t. Everyone keeps saying "Well, he's too good. He's gonna wake up eventually, he's just too good not to. He's just trying too hard". I ask you- WHEN?! In 10 months he's been borderline invisible. At this point, I can only utter two words (and Met fans will know what I'm talking about): Roberto. Alomar.

I was thinking of 2 different words: Alexei. Yashin.

Kovalchuk has been here damn near a full year and has done exactly jack sh!t. Jack. And sh!t. Everyone keeps saying "Well, he's too good. He's gonna wake up eventually, he's just too good not to. He's just trying too hard". I ask you- WHEN?! In 10 months he's been borderline invisible. At this point, I can only utter two words (and Met fans will know what I'm talking about): Roberto. Alomar.

He still got us 2 ot wins and helped win the shootout last game. Do you guys really think we would be better off without him? No one else on this team is doing much of anything either.

2 -No one wants this guy around and I bet you there is anomosity in the locker room espeically now with his lack of production. As a Bruins fan pointed out elsewhere: Shawn Thornton has as MANY goals as Kovalchuk.

If that's the case those players need to be let go immediately. That's beyond petty. This isn't high school hockey.

And I'm not saying Kovy doesn't deserve any of the blame, because he does. In fact, they all do. But the bottom line is this guy had free reign in Atlanta. He was able to score a point per game under freakin' Lemaire. You guys, Lou, and especially that Mr. Clean wannabe wanted an unselfish Kovy, and now you got him.

Be Kind and rewind...

Let's see:

1 -Him wanting millions of dollars in a some obscure long term deal cost the Devils the chance to pick/tade for a guy who could play the point. Greene and Taormina are not the LONG term answer for a number 1 offensive D guy.

3 -For a superstar he sure doesn't bring his fellow teammates to the next level. Ovechking does, so does Malkin, Stamkos does too, but this guy doesn't. With all that money he is making for life... I won't even go there.

4 -Lack of heart. I compare Kovalchuk to Hossa. It is a fairly good comparison with Height, postion, weight, and playing style. Hossa hustles back on D, I don't see that with Kovalchuk EVER. Hossa wants to win and Kovalchuk just wants the puck (see the many times he either takes the puck off players sticks, or tells them he is going to take it.

5 -Piss poor attitude. He scored 40 goals almost every season in the NHL and people are blaming a lack of a number one center as being the culprit. Hello, he played in Atlanta. He didn't always have Savard as his center and still scored. Good players find ways of scoring regardless.

6 -NOT Clutch. He does not handle pressure well. Kovalchuk can make some amazing plays, but put him on the ice when it matters and he will not preform. All that money and you can't come through in the clutch. Don't give me the shoot out goal the other night either, going first in the shoot out has zero pressure compared to the previous time when Langenbrunner came through to send it to sudden death. THAT IS CLUTCH!

7 -Salary Cap. His hit wouldn't allow the Devils to play a full team one night. You can blame Rolston all you want, but this guy will be a big thorn in the Devils side for years to come. Hopefullyh the thorn doesn't bury itself deeper.

I am all but begging to be proven wrong, but Kovalchuk just validates points. This guy, one way or another is the cause of the majority of the Devils issues one way or another.

The Devils are the ones who gave him the contract. Besides the that, the Devils were in the tank before he arrived in NJ at the deadline. Everything that is wrong with this team comes back to Lou. He hasn't made a good move in a long, long time. He gave all the NTCs, he signed the over the hill Rolston, traded for Kovalchuk, etc. To blame Kovalchuk for all the Devils woes is asinine.

Thank God that Marty isn't playing. I like Hedberg keep playing him. What you want Marty, why the Devils aren't going anywhere this season? Trade Marty to Montreal in return for valued players at the trade deadline if Montreal is in position for a run at the cup.

Sure, why not? ... no sarcasm, either.

Do any of you think the Devils will resign Moose after this season? I think he has shown alot of potential in the last few games and has stepped up tremendously.

i hope so, just as a person, he is beyond worth it for what he gives back to the fans [see: my post from the calgary game about the post game run-in with him w/ my sister/cousin]

Matt, Kovalchuk did not keep the Devils from signing or trading for a good defenseman. Giving Hedberg 1.5 mil, Tallinder <4 mil and Volchenkov 4> mil BEFORE Kovalchuk signed were definitely contributing factors.

Why is it his fault that the Devils were willing to go to this length for him? It's his first full season with the team. And he is under way too much pressure considering everyone is expecting him to make up for a horrible team.

i hope so, just as a person, he is beyond worth it for what he gives back to the fans [see: my post from the calgary game about the post game run-in with him w/ my sister/cousin]

Ill go read it read it right now but I have met him a few times after games at the Rock and he is super nice. The last time a few weeks ago I met him after a game, which he didnt even play in but still walked over to sign autographs for all of us standing there, I just kinda blurted out to him that he had a great game prior to that night (I forget when it was and what game I was referring to exactly) but he stopped signing someones puck or something and looked right up at me smiled a genuine smile and said Thank you very happily, almost like he doesnt think us the fans back him up. I think I made his night just letting him know that he had my approval.

Do any of you think the Devils will resign Moose after this season? I think he has shown alot of potential in the last few games and has stepped up tremendously.

I don't think the Devils should re-sign him. They should really really start looking for Marty's replacement.

I don't think the Devils should re-sign him. They should really really start looking for Marty's replacement.

What about last years 3rd rounder Scott Wedgewood?

or 6th rounder Maxime Clermont?

http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=73944

or pick up Jared Rutledge in the next draft?

Edited by Quinn01

The Kovalchukers always take it one step too far. Is he horrible because everyone is horrible around him? Please. He's horrible in his own right. He's earned it.

Are we really going to start calling people who defend him Kovalchukers? God I hope not. He sucks and the rest of the team sucks right now. We are in the sh!t big time.

Goalies take longer to develop. Wedgewood and Clermont won't be in the NHL for 2-3 years at the earliest.

Well Martys contract is up in in 2012 which I am sure he will retire. Who is already in the league that will be a FA and has potential to take the reigns in your opinion?

Matt, Kovalchuk did not keep the Devils from signing or trading for a good defenseman. Giving Hedberg 1.5 mil, Tallinder <4 mil and Volchenkov 4> mil BEFORE Kovalchuk signed were definitely contributing factors.

Why is it his fault that the Devils were willing to go to this length for him? It's his first full season with the team. And he is under way too much pressure considering everyone is expecting him to make up for a horrible team.

Andrew,

Don't think I don't blame the Devils too!! I know what the other guys make, but Kovalchukc DEMANDED to make this money or go elsewhere. I didn't want him regardless. To me he is a player, not a teammate. He is all about himself, the fame, holding onto the puck. So while you are right about the others players contributing, you either ask for this money and produce which hasn't happened. OR you ask for less to play for a TEAM. Kovalchuk doesn't understand teamwork or ME before the team.

Other players have not produced either, but this guy hasn't produced since he got here. Alexei Yashin is a good comparison.

As for the anomosity in the locker room, I bet even Parise is thinking, "hmmm will the Devils have enough to sign me or should I look elsewhere." You cannot tell me Brodeur is thinking the same thing either. "I gave up coin to be a team only to have this clown come in here and tear it up." But, hey let's trade them because once Kovalchuk was signed the team first went out the window for one player who hasn't shown me anything other than he can cough up the puck, not skate back defensively, and choke under pressure. I don't have a problem with people not being good defensively or not being the go-to-guy on the shootout. I do have a problem when you demand this money, you get it, and then can't produce. He put himself under the gun.

It's not Kovy, it's the system. We either let him go apesh!t and score goals, but lose games because no one else does and we give up 5, or we come up with a legitimate system, and abandon the embarrassing thing we have now that resembles what I did when I played street hockey ten years ago, and start winning games.

yep, now it's the system. how come Tedenby is effective in this system, and can execute it?

it's not so much Kovalchuk's epic level of suck this season as it is the people who absolutely refuse to see it

1 player out of 20 is doing something on offense. I cannot thank you enough for putting my fears of having an inept system to rest.