Spider-Man the Musical

Satans Hockey

Is it true that it went about 4 hours with all the issues? I hear the scenery is amazing -- but if they're trying to re-create nyc --just walk outside..right?

Close to it but I knew going in that it would be like that. Previews are the pre-season for broadway. Also this was the first time they were even doing the show in front of an audience. They run previews so they can get the technical problems solved before the show has it's official opening. They can also change any songs/part of the story/cast/etc. during previews.

The stoppages weren't any problem for me, it was the music and horrible book that sucked.

I saw the segment on 60 min last night. It looked really really cool. Im not that into those type of movies or whatever but it did seem cool. From what you say it was garbage. I wouldnt go see it either way.

Edited by Quinn01

Like someone else said, the set deisgn is supposed to be pretty amazing, but that's about it. I actually have a friend who's good friends with the set designer that worked on Spiderman, so it's nice to hear at least that aspect worked. Aside from that, it will last through the holidays but fizzle after that. Tons of tourists in town and typically they'll see anything that looks familiar but I give it to Valentines Day.

Just one of those musicals that can't be good...just can't!

I'll definitely be checking this one out, always up for a trainwreck. Honestly, I'm hoping for the best - I think broadway could use a lift from a show like this - which has never been done before.

Satans give it some time - that was their first run through - let's see what happens.

I heard there was a ton of problems, but it has loads of potential. They just weren't ready for the preview last night. I heard they were even re-working a lot of the script this week.

The problems that everyone keeps talking about in the news and what not wasn't a problem for me. I expected them to have delays. The problems they had were just issues with the sets/wires. The fact the music is just plain boring and horrible and the fact the story is complete garbage is the main issue for me and neither of those 2 things have to do with the problems they had in the first preview.

I don't think they will be able to change that much of the story. This isn't much of a spoiler but the biggest beef I have with the show is that more focus was spent on Arachne(this spider-woman like character) then spider-man.

The other issue is there are a few moments that are completely absurd. There is a fashion show where the other villains are introduced and they walk down the run way and basically strut down it.

The other issue is there is a song where Arachne sings about her shoes and she ends up putting shoes on each of her spider legs. It was some of the dumbest sh!t I have ever seen.

I really don't see how they can save this show and make it into something good. There is no way they will be able to re do all of the music or completely re-write the story. If I was writing the story I would completely remove this Arachne character.

Spider-man is suppose to be a simple story and they went with this complex nonsense that doesn't even really make any sense. It's a complete clusterfvck.

It should have been, Parker gets bite by a spider, finds out his powers, fights villians, gets the girl, saves the day. It's a simple story and they completely ruined it. I want this show to be good but I just don't see how it's going to be possible. I'll probably go to another performance of it after the official opening to see if they actually made any changes.

Now this doesn't mean the show won't still be a complete hit at the box office for awhile but I think for this show to make it for a few years it needs to have a good story/music. This show is lacking both.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I have heard that the story is absolutely ridiculous from a few people, which is why they are still hammering out the script this late. As for the music, I have only heard 1 song (Boy Falls From the Sky), and it sounded pretty damn good when U2 played it, but not nearly half as good when the lead actor played it with his band. Shame if the rest of the music isn't that good.

The husband of a woman who works for me is a stagehand for Spiderman. He keeps reminding her that all the long running B'way hits were panned in early reviews. That being said, even if Spiderman closes, there have been so many alterations to the Foxwoods Theatre that it will take 9-12 months to put it back together again.

why shows want to compete with movies is beyond me. A live show is great because it's live - intimacy is far more powerful than stunts and moving set peices. I hate rock music too -- wall of sound kind of stuff that is. Rock shows are rock shows, movies are movies - musicals shoudl be powerful human performances always different every night. Does a hockey game try to make itself over to be more and more like their fantasy and video game versions?

I agree you should have a great script and a great libretto and great lyrical music. None of this extraneous crap so transparent. Nothing is ground breaking -- it's all just a lame replica of computer generated screen versions.

Why'd the story and effects suck?

I don't like U2 that much, but the 60 minutes piece on the show had the song they played for Spiderman sound really good when Bono sang it and then pretty not good when Spiderman sang it, did that seem like it might be true based on seeing it?

Why'd the story and effects suck?

I don't like U2 that much, but the 60 minutes piece on the show had the song they played for Spiderman sound really good when Bono sang it and then pretty not good when Spiderman sang it, did that seem like it might be true based on seeing it?

The story is just really all over the place and without spoiling anything the story focuses on the spider-woman character called archane(spelling?) more so then spider-man. Act 2 is just a complete mess and some of the songs are 100% stupid. There is one song that the spider-woman sings about shoes for her feet. It's ridiculous.

The music to me, was just boring. None of the songs stood out and I couldn't even hum the tune to any of the songs right now. I didn't see Bono sing the songs but the ones sung at the show were 100% forgettable.

I'm probably still going to eventually see the show again when it officially opens to see if they made any real changes but I wouldn't recommend the show to anyone.

Long story short.

The story was non existant - that I could tell. I'm a smart guy, theatre in something i know a thing or two about - and I still had no idea what the whole arachne character was about. I don't know they included this character, I thought I was watching the story of Spiderman and I didn't even see Peter Parker for 15 minutes.

The book is a mess, aside from story, the dialogue is horrid - this Geek Chorus that is explaining the story of Spiderman - and is clearly there to provide time for the sets to be changed - they babble, talk about nothing, and are pointless.

Not only but there are certain beats in musicals that need to met with songs to push the show forward, and I can't remember songs that were misplaced/pointless in the storyline and made little to no sense. (i.e. the army song).

The only interesting character was the Green Golbin but it's so utterly miswritten, misused, and even he misfires despite Patrick's Page trying to scale a mountain.

Sound Design was horrible too. I'm a U2 fan. I should be hearing Edge's guitar the whole show searing, and feeling the bass. I couldn't hear anything - and I have great hearing. They turned it up with Boy Falls from the Sky - the one of the three songs that were worth anything. Very strange. I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

It's not good when I'm sitting there going "this U2 song would better here, this one here, etc."

Also, so many moments were shoddily done. I.e. SPOILER - when Ben dies, the moment is so botched - it's actually funny. Mind you we never even got to know Ben at all. We don't believe Peter's ballad after his death, because there was no build of their relationship.

Mary Jane is in and out of the show, and the dialogue they show doesn't add up to a love story. It's terrible.

Spiderman is an easy story to tell - but it's like no one cared to say "hey guys, this won't work or this wont." Sad. What a shame.

I have a lot more thoughts, but I'm too tired to type.

I actually talked to my Dad about this a little tonight. He is friends with an investor and a friend that went to the show recently and was part of the focus group after.

Apparently the entire second act is being re-written and they're changing about 10-15 spots in the show each night. What a mess for something that's already in the 65 million plus an extra million a week range.

I actually talked to my Dad about this a little tonight. He is friends with an investor and a friend that went to the show recently and was part of the focus group after.

Apparently the entire second act is being re-written and they're changing about 10-15 spots in the show each night. What a mess for something that's already in the 65 million plus an extra million a week range.

Just something I've noticed so far from another message board I'm on is that I haven't read anything about them changing anything yet. It's just interesting because the show is suppose to open January 11th. You would think they would start these changes asap. They have a month to go and a lot of work to do. I won't be surprised if the opening gets delayed yet again.