Pang: Goalie Rankings

LetsGoDevils

5 GP, 4-0-1, 0.78 GAA, .966 save percentage

He was the NHL's defensive player of the week -- again. The epitome of consistency and resiliency has had three shutouts in his last five games, stopping 114 of 118 shots. He started by beating Washington 3-0 -- OK, OK, so he saw just nine shots, but he stayed awake and stopped them all. He went to Ottawa and won 2-1 in his next game, making 18 saves, then beat the Islanders 1-0. He was brilliant in making 37 saves against the Flyers in a 3-3 tie, and then made 32 saves against the Flyers for a 2-0 win.

btw, over on the Flyers' ESPN board they have finally ditched all that "Brodeur is overrated, he only sees 10 shots, he's a product of his defense" and made this announcement:

"If we only had that fvcking swamp-bastard Brodeur in goal, we'd have a Cup by now".

For a Flyer fan, that's practically a declaration of love.

How much backlash replies did that comment get?

Pretty much the entire Flyer board agreed with the guy.

What they are still arguing about is whether NJ "got lucky" in drafting him. I love how some of them seem to think Conte is some moron who closes his eyes and points and, in this case, just "happened" to pick Marty.

Isn't Hextall their head scout or something? Of course when Marty was drafted he was still playing, so can't blame him I guess.

It woulda been funny if Philly had picked Trevor Kidd that year (who'd they pick? Mike Ricci 4th? :P ). That probably woulda been a bigger kick in the ass. :D

Isn't Hextall their head scout or something? Of course when Marty was drafted he was still playing, so can't blame him I guess.

It woulda been funny if Philly had picked Trevor Kidd that year (who'd they pick? Mike Ricci 4th? :P ). That probably woulda been a bigger kick in the ass. :D

Russ Farwell was in charge in Philly for the 1990 draft (Clarke had gotten canned from his first stint as GM the year before). The fans on the board really want to blame Clarke for the Ricci pick (as well as the deal for Lindros in 1992) but admit that they have to blame Farwell for it.

Anyway, nobody picked goalies top 5 in those days. The Devs traded down to get Marty, I think they had the #9 pick. They knew Calgary wanted to take Kidd at #10, and they checked with other teams and nobody else was planning to take a goalie in the first round. So they knew they were safe trading down, they got more picks and could still get Marty. Personally, I'm surprised teams are honest about things like this, but I guess it's part of doing business and it pays to be honest with other GMs in case you want to trade with them later.

Flyers are turning into maybe the best drafting team in the NHL. They have quite the solid prospects right now. If only they could draft a franchise goaltender Ouellette wink wink

Ehh, they did well with their 4 firsts from 98-01 with Gagne, Oulette, Williams and Woywitka, I'll give em that. What pisses me off is that Tampa Bay handed them Joni Pitkanen on a silver platter. Ruslan Fedontenko? Christ. There was a massive talent drop off after the top 4 in the 02 draft (Bouwmeester, Nash, Lehtonen, and Pitkanen) and TB traded Philly their 4th overall pick for a 15 goal third liner.

Technically the deal was Ruslan Fedotenko and 2 2nds .. rumor is Tampa wasn't going to pick Pitkanen anyway.

At the time I speculated it was because Tampa didn't have the cash to pay a first round pick, but now I'm not really sure why they did it. If Fedotenko becomes a 20-25 goal forward it looks like a better deal.

At the time I speculated it was because Tampa didn't have the cash to pay a first round pick, but now I'm not really sure why they did it.

I read somewhere else that this was the reason also. I guess you weren't alone in your speculation.

But who knows why for sure. Was Dudley still around? :noclue:

BTW - I was skimming the TSN site and something dawned on me. Not only is Brodeur on pace for the SO record, but also the wins record (47).

I don't think he will get either, but that's just another example of how well he is playing.