Arlette

Nieuwy25

Since I first got Center Ice and get to see the Devils' home games, I have been so impressed with the lady who sings the Anthems at the CAA. Do you guys know how lucky you are to have someone who does such a great job, and for every game? There are a few other arenas around the league who have "permanent" singers who are really good - the lady in Detroit, the guy in Ottawa (?), maybe some others. But it seems like most of us are stuck with the local yokels who try out for a game, and you never know whether you're going to have to cover your ears/mute the sound, or not.

Anyway, Arlette is really, really good. :hail::clap:

Was she really bad in the concert?

It's not that she was THAT bad...it was just the fact that the music she sings had no place in a Cup celebration.

But yeah, some of her Devils-related songs were pretty awful.

Her genre is dance music or something, her voice just doesn't go with the style of music she was singing to. It was odd.

Plus, no one was paying attention to her at that point. When you have a bunch of drunk dudes in the crowd who are not-so-patiently waiting to see the players and the Cup, it's just not a good combination. heh...

But she really DOES sing the National Anthem very well. Beautiful voice.

Not to be picky but while she has a very powerful and versatile voice she does have trouble hitting the same/correct notes each time she sings the song. I don't know if she is just trying to jazz the song up for herself or whether she really can't consistently sing the correct notes each time. I think the Russo girl who has song 5 or 6 times over the past 2 years is kinda cute though. :D

-Scott

She has a good voice that does what it does well for like the anthem and stuff.. but

her vocal style really doesn't fit th rah-rah songs you'd have in a championship parking

lot :D ... as long as she keeps doing the anthem I don't care about the rest

...oh and thanks to the flashback to the AWFUL Country Music Rip-Off Version

of the Backstreet Boys action-smiley-060.gif

.. somethings never go away over time !!

My pet-peeve with anthem singers is when they try to jazz it up, or - the absolute worst - hold out "free" forever. :puke: I like those who can sing it well and sing it straight. I know it's a really hard song to sing well, unlike the Canadian anthem, but at least try!

My pet-peeve with anthem singers is when they try to jazz it up, or - the absolute worst - hold out "free" forever. :puke: I like those who can sing it well and sing it straight. I know it's a really hard song to sing well, unlike the Canadian anthem, but at least try!

I saw a highlight of I think a guy singing the canadian national anthem at a san jose game, and forgetting the words. That's gotta suck

I totally agree. It really pisses me off when they do that. Just sing it as it should be, this isn't Star Search. :angry:

I bought the Arlette CD at the celebration. She is a very nice lady who spent a few minutes talking to my daughter & wife & I.

Last year the game before Christmas they had 3 Christmas sing-alongs in the upper corners of the arena too, which she led.

Perhaps when she isn't at games doing the anthems, they should use her for PR to promote the teams.

I'm always grateful for Arlette. (Yes my "Trade Arlette" thread years back was a JOKE!) Although some of the Broadway folks they bring in aren't half bad. The worst is the neice, wife, etc. of players that try to sing the song like Faith Hill or something! YUCK! And soooo off key. Arlette is very rarely slightly flat --- but who cares I mean that whole song "I Beleive I Can Fly" -- ?!?! HOLY sh!t THE GUY IS NEVER ON KEY... and everyone thinks it's so wonderful.. I beleive I could YACK! :puke:

ANYHOW The Star Spangled Banner has to be one of the most difficult songs to sing. it does suck a little bit that Arlette is sooo good...if I ever get back to working I'd love to try to weasle my way in to sing the National Anthem for the Devils... but it'll have to be after Stevens retires... I'd forget the words for sure and I think I might yell at Marty... For the Laaaaand of the Ffffuu..... EXCUSE ME... MISTER BRODEUR THE SONG IS NOT OVER YET Please refrain from dancing around and getting cocky until I'm at least on 'Brave' mmmmKAY?" Free is the money note Marty... sheesh! It's like walking out in the last 5 of the third in a Marty shut out!

I always wonder of the guys ever want to turn around and look or cringe when some of these people sing! Or plug their ears I'd editorialize I'm sure .. the old put one finger in your ear, shaking your finger cringing. or just slap your hand to your head "oy vey!"

The guy in Ottawa is good. Linden Slewage(sp). Was she really bad in the concert?

The guy in Ottawa - is he a policeman? And he always does that "thumbs up" & "Hi, Mom" into the camera. :D

DR33 was very close. It's Lyndon Slewidge, and yes he is a police officer. OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) to be exact. [Almost forgot to explain the acronym. Common language here; "I was only going 5 over the speed limit when I got stopped by the OPP"]

And yes, his thumbs up is his signature piece. He said it's his way of saying "Go, Sens, Go" and "Hope you all enjoy the game" without having to actually say either.

---------------

I did notice twice last year he sang "God Bless America" instead of the "Star Spangled Banner". Can they be used interchangably at sporting events?

ANYHOW The Star Spangled Banner has to be one of the most difficult songs to sing. it does suck a little bit that Arlette is sooo good...if I ever get back to working I'd love to try to weasle my way in to sing the National Anthem for the Devils... but it'll have to be after Stevens retires... I'd forget the words for sure and I think I might yell at Marty... For the Laaaaand of the Ffffuu..... EXCUSE ME... MISTER BRODEUR THE SONG IS NOT OVER YET Please refrain from dancing around and getting cocky until I'm at least on 'Brave' mmmmKAY?" Free is the money note Marty... sheesh! It's like walking out in the last 5 of the third in a Marty shut out!

I always wonder of the guys ever want to turn around and look or cringe when some of these people sing! Or plug their ears I'd editorialize I'm sure .. the old put one finger in your ear, shaking your finger cringing. or just slap your hand to your head "oy vey!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That just made my day! Thanks, PK!

The only time you hear the anthem singers at other arenas is during the playoffs, and boy do most of them really stink! Every time I hear some country/lounge/pop- style singer mangling the Star Spangled Banner I feel like getting down on my knees and thanking God for Arlette.

ANYHOW The Star Spangled Banner has to be one of the most difficult songs to sing.  it does suck a little bit that Arlette is sooo good...if I ever get back to working I'd love to try to weasle my way in to sing the National Anthem for the Devils...  but it'll have to be after Stevens retires... I'd forget the words for sure and I think I might yell at Marty... For the Laaaaand of the Ffffuu..... EXCUSE ME... MISTER BRODEUR THE SONG IS NOT OVER YET Please refrain from dancing around and getting cocky until I'm at least on 'Brave' mmmmKAY?"  Free is the money note Marty... sheesh!  It's like walking out in the last 5 of the third in a Marty shut out!

I always wonder of the guys ever want to turn around and look or cringe when some of these people sing!  Or plug their ears  I'd editorialize I'm sure .. the old put one finger in your ear, shaking your finger cringing.  or just slap your hand to your head "oy vey!"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That just made my day! Thanks, PK!

I just hope I never have to sing that song! Not that there's any worry of that! I'll forever imagine PK breaking off the song to berate Brodeur for the "Marty Shuffle". Don't know if I'll even be able to keep a straight face when I hear the song! :rofl: Is that like sacreligious or something? :huh: