Devils see change coming

Rock

I don't think this team needs to be 'blown up'. Henrik Tallinder, despite what he's shown in a Devils' uniform, is a perfectly legitimate 20 minute a game defender. Kovalchuk is still a 40 goal scorer.

What's going to happen was probably going to happen anyway. Of the players currently under contract, Rolston, Elias, and Salvador are probably on their last NHL contracts. Langenbrunner has a maximum of 2 years left after this year, and IMO with the way he's playing, probably only one year. Arnott probably the same. Zubrus has 2 more years left on his contract after this current one, I can't see him lasting 2 years after that, and he might be on his last contract as well. White will be 34½ when his contract is up - he'll have a maximum of 2 years left as well. Brodeur could last for a long time if he's willing to be a 1A goalie, but I don't see that happening. All these guys were going or gone anyway. Clarkson and Greene are the two real disappointments. Other than that, it's smooth sailing through calm waters. Tedenby needs some fixing but he looks like an NHL player if he ever figures out how to use his teammates (and even if he doesn't). Taormina looks like a keeper. Fayne has showed some okay things. It's a team of rookies and veterans - two of the players in their prime (Volchenkov, Parise) have missed significant time.

I should have been a little clearer in regards to my "core" comment. The team's core has changed for sure, and I really don't have much of a problem with it honsestly. I was talking more about the old guard. Guys like Langs and Elias.

For as bas as Tallinder and Kovy have been this year, I'm really not worried about them. It is their first year on a very bad Devils team and these guys are better players then what they have shown. We all have seen that. Throw in guys like Volchenkov and Tedenby, well there are some really nice pieces here to work with. But there is also a lot of existing dead weight on this roster and the team is pretty much stuck with for the time being. I think we'll be more then fine in the long run but it's going to be a waiting game and this may not be a quick one year turn around like so many are counting on.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep on wanting to write but it's just the same thing :blahblah: from me. So I'm with Sick and Tri pretty much.

I mean maybe somethign could be done... but nothing earth shattering - no big statement trade. Noen CAN be made just because everyone sucks and no trade will significantly change anything... or everyone is passable and they'd just pick up more of the same.

so, yeah... :blahblah:

:giggle:

I keep on wanting to write but it's just the same thing :blahblah: from me. So I'm with Sick and Tri pretty much.

I mean maybe somethign could be done... but nothing earth shattering - no big statement trade. Noen CAN be made just because everyone sucks and no trade will significantly change anything... or everyone is passable and they'd just pick up more of the same.

so, yeah... :blahblah:

:giggle:

I'm pretty firm in my belief that we won't really see anything until the deadline and offseason. Perhaps a piece here and here but nothing that's going to change too much.

As reported in the Fire and Ice blog;

When asked if he had received any personal assurances from Lamoriello about his future as head coach, MacLean said.

“As I’ve said, we’ve been working together and we all want what’s right for the organization. We’re trying to get it right as far as focusing on that.”

They all “want what’s right for the organization”…could that be Lou-speak for a new coach? Breaking it to MacLean gently……

I think Lou's just waiting until it's a forgone conclusion that they're missing the playoffs. No one likes giving up on a season more than Lou, so even if there's a glimmer of hope that the team he assembled can get it done, he'll give them that chance.

But if they go into sell mode, I wanna see wholesale clearance. Get rid of the expiring contracts and get Conte whatever picks you can in return. Langs for a bag of pucks. Corrente, Magnan, Fraser and the rest of our hopeless D-prospects for another bag of pucks. Arnott, with the season he's having, and Greene, being relatively young, might actually yield somewhat early-round picks in return.

Then start dealing whatever we can get a return for. Get Brian Burke drunk and convince him Clarkson is an idiot-athlete savant, like Forrest Gump. See if inter-league trades are allowed and ship Tallinder to Europe to play with Rachunek, Vishnevski and Havelid.

Last but not least, get rid of Zajac. Anyone who is only good when playing with Parise (see also: Langenbrunner, Jamie) isn't actually good. There was a time when I actually thought he mighta been our best all-around forward. Holy balls was I wrong! He's a penalty killer who can pick up points on the coattails of Parise's hard work. But maybe the book isn't out on him yet and he'll actually bring in a quality player/prospect in return. Fingers crossed on that one.

Then, with absolutely no D left and not much O either, give Marty the rest of the year off (because a rested Marty equals an unstoppable Marty, right?), let Moose backup Frazee and McKenna while they gain some actual NHL experience with sub-AHL defensemen in front of them, give away 10,000 seats a night to charity and call it a season.

Man, that actually started off as an honest post but got out of hand real quick. I feel like PK.

No beer and no TV make me something something ...

I don't understand the amount of attachment everyone here has for Zubrus. I mean he's great along the boards and protecting the puck, but beyond that, he can't finish to save his life. I think he's at best an overpaid 3rd liner. He'd be great to play in an energy line role for $2mil instead of $3.4mil. If we can get anything in return for him, ship him out as fast as you can.

Langs should go if anything worthwhile is offered for him. I say this not because I doubt his ability to captain this team, but rather just because he's on the last year of his contract and he's at the end of his career. He's not going to be worth much after this season, so I think the best option is to trade him at the deadline to a team looking for a veteran who's been all the way before.

Arnott needs to stay because we really don't have a lot going on at the center position, unless Josefson comes back and starts tearing it up or someone makes an offer we can't refuse.

Parise, Zajac and anybody we brought in this offseason should not be traded. I beleive that Tallinder is a solid mid pairing defenseman, but is being hurt by being given minutes that are above his head exactly the the same way Mottau was last year. I think if we can find another top 4 dman to pair with Volchenkov, then Tallinder will settle into a 3-4 role quite nicely. Also, Elias is a keeper despite being overpaid. He's a true leader on this team and he sees the ice in a way few players can. He's not been great this year, but no one has, so I think we should keep him for his PP abilities and the fact that he can help out rookies on this team by playing on a line with them next year.

Greene is a mystery to me. Last year he was great, this year, not so much. Next year could go either way for him. So if somebody wants him, trade him because he's replaceable, but if not, try to sign him for around 1.5mil this offseason. I feel like he'd be a great #5 dman and can also fit in on the point for a 2nd PP unit. If he plays better next season, he could even be promoted to the 2nd defensive pairing, but I really think he will fit best on the bottom pairing.

White should be kept unless someone offers up another defenseman that can play top 4 minutes and is younger than White. White has been solid this year and his NTC makes him hard to move anyways, but his salary is fitting for his play, so he's not somebody that needs to go, since we are lacking in top 4 dmen as it is.

Rolston is going to be next to impossible to trade with his contract, but if by some miracle some team wants him, I think we all know what would happen if that situation happened to occur.

Edited by ATLL765