Rolston on Waivers

jagknife

Being traded and forced to play in a completely different city is part of the package deal that comes with playing professional sports. You get paid millions of dollars to play hockey but this can happen to you. It's just the nature of the business.

Rolston signed a NTC because he didn't want that part of the deal and that's fine. But he can be subject to re-entry waivers and end up anywhere as part of his contract. As long as his contract is not violated by the Devils or the league I won't be sympathetic to the fact that he might have to play in a different city.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're already sending that message right now. I wouldn't waive Zubrus. I guess you're right at keeping them til the deadline.

Its amazing that some people think that throwing a GM temper-tantrum is going to motivate people to play. (i.e. waiving players with expiring contracts and tradable value).

What kind of message do you think it sends to future UFA's about what kind of ship is run here in NJ when you just waive or scratch whoever on a whim to satisfy your own frustration?

Probably the same message it sends when your fanbase "Boos" your veteran backup goalie off the ice in his first game....

I'm sure Brent Burns and Dustin Buff can't wait to come play in NJ.

Edited by DevilinLA

Its amazing that some people think that throwing a GM temper-tantrum is going to motivate people to play. (i.e. waiving players with expiring contracts and tradable value).

What kind of message do you think it sends to future UFA's about what kind of ship is run here in NJ when you just waive or scratch whoever on a whim to satisfy your own frustration?

Probably the same message it sends when your fanbase "Boos" your veteran backup goalie off the ice in his first game....

I agree. I think the NJ selling point of "playing for a chance to win the Cup" are dead and gone for the next few seasons.

The could market to UFA's as possible time-share for their careers until they are dealt the next season at the deadline.

I agree. I think the NJ selling point of "playing for a chance to win the Cup" are dead and gone for the next few seasons.

The could market to UFA's as possible time-share for their careers until they are dealt the next season at the deadline.

Oh wow hadn't thought of that...it's a reason Kovy came here, because you sure as hell can't say you're in a "hockey-mad market" or something like that...it's going to be difficult to draw here without success (ask the Islanders). You'd like to think that the Devils would be more secure than the Islanders but regardless, it's going to be harder than usual.

I wonder about that too. It would bring a lot of interesting names here...but interesting in the "Vitaly Vishnevski" sort of sense unfortunately.

A whim? This locker room's been rotting for a year and Lou hasn't rattled anyone's cage other than 'retiring' Lemaire and that didn't exactly have an impact. If anything, there should have been more changes afer what happened in the second half of last season. Shoot, the old Lou traded Sykora for a lot less than what most of these clowns pulled down the stretch and in the playoffs.

A whim? This locker room's been rotting for a year and Lou hasn't rattled anyone's cage other than 'retiring' Lemaire and that didn't exactly have an impact. If anything, there should have been more changes afer what happened in the second half of last season. Shoot, the old Lou traded Sykora for a lot less than what most of these clowns pulled down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Sykora had more trade value than pretty much anyone on the current team not named Parise. It's easier to make trades when the players you want out are worth something.

I was responding to CTF's post regarding "waive more people" (aka. Langs, Zubrus).

The decision to waive Rolston is well warranted,

If it is at all possible, lou neids to keep placing rolston on waivers... maybe eventually someone will take him; perhaps it will force brian to put forth a little effort since he probably would like to finish his career in the NHL.

Edited by ice dog

Sykora had more trade value than pretty much anyone on the current team not named Parise. It's easier to make trades when the players you want out are worth something.

I meant Lou traded Sykora based on sitting out one playoff game, whereas nobody got traded for not coming to play for large stretches of the second half and the five playoff games last year, not to mention the total insubordination towards Lemaire.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I meant Lou traded Sykora based on sitting out one playoff game, whereas nobody got traded for not coming to play for large stretches of the second half and the five playoff games last year, not to mention the total insubordination towards Lemaire.

this is not how i would characterize the end of the season at all. so maybe that's why no one got traded.

i think they see a message of dollar signs. even though volchenkov loves newark airport, the contract is what brought him here. same as tallinder.

besides, i doubt we'll ever see a UFA like kovalchuk come on the market anytime soon. you bieksa's and erhoffs are the best you'll find. and they'd to florida if they offered a big enough contract.

Brian Rolston does not have an expring contract or tradeable value. You think Lou is doing anything ön a whim to satisfy his own frustration." He has been the most patient GM under the circumstances that yoú'll ever seen. Guess what. This is a business. Every NHL player knows that if you are going to get the big bucks, you better perform. And if you don't, this is the reality. Brian Rolston got the big bucks and has not performed since signing this contract. In his head, he probably saw this coming a mile away. He also probably knew that no one would touch him for free on waivers after more than half the league wanted him in 2008.

This was a very calculated move that probably every GM (minus a few...Burke?) would do under the same circumstance. And like someone said, players who want to get paid, and no this is their only chance, will go where the money is. It is that simple. Pretty much every organization has done something cheeky in the past, but it won't stop players from signing there. The Bruins signed Marc Savard to a long-term contract where he took less money and a lower cap hit to say, and looked to trade him months later. The Lightning tried to trade Lecavalier a year or two right after his giant extension. The Sens signed Marian Hossa to a long-term deal and traded him 24 hours later. Wade Redden is going to be stuck in the minors for 3 more seasons after this if nothing changes. Will that hurt the Rangers? Those are just 4 deals off the top of my head. None of those teams are losing any respect from players.

Edited by devilsrule33

i think they see a message of dollar signs. even though volchenkov loves newark airport, the contract is what brought him here. same as tallinder.

besides, i doubt we'll ever see a UFA like kovalchuk come on the market anytime soon. you bieksa's and erhoffs are the best you'll find. and they'd to florida if they offered a big enough contract.

:o Hey that's what Lou said!

Will Lou place him on re-entry waivers tomorrow? It will be interesting to see.

Lou said he wouldn't...

so what will he do after 30 days?

Seems odd to force him into retirement when there is zero gain in it. If he puts him on re-entries sure someone will get him for a cut rate -- so Lou is giving a resource away - for a little cap space - but isn't that better than letting it go to waste?

Yeah because Philly is a graveyard of weak players. No one wants to play for the Flyers.

Rolston got waived due to salary issues and he is not performing up to expectations. It's not an isolated incident with just New Jersey. Teams all over the league do this.

I'm sure Dustin Byfuglien was really excited when he found out he was being sent to Atlanta right after having a monster postseason.

We should have high expecations of our players to perform especially if they expect to make 5mil a season and they should try to perform at that standard day in and day out. If a player thinks he can come here and just kick back and collect a paycheck then forget about it we shouldn't sign him.

Edited by CarpathianForest

i don't really think this is a fair characterization either. money is often the highest priority, but players still want to win.

i don't really think this is a fair characterization either. money is often the highest priority, but players still want to win.

that is certainly true and perhaps my florida analogy wasn't the best. there is winning and lifestyle that go into the mix - hence why nobody wants the oilers or the islanders money. i think there are very few markets like that and NJ isn't one of them.

Yeah because Philly is a graveyard of weak players. No one wants to play for the Flyers.

Rolston got waived due to salary issues and he is not performing up to expectations. It's not an isolated incident with just New Jersey. Teams all over the league do this.

I'm sure Dustin Byfuglien was really excited when he found out he was being sent to Atlanta right after having a monster postseason.

We should have high expecations of our players to perform especially if they expect to make 5mil a season and they should try to perform at that standard day in and day out. If a player thinks he can come here and just kick back and collect a paycheck then forget about it we shouldn't sign him.

To clarify.

Again the point is not ROLSTON on Waivers - it was your hair-trigger tired about "waive more players".

GM decisions like these are not emotional decisions - its a business.

FWIW, off the top of my head, these are the best-case to worst-case scenarios that, from the start of this ordeal, could have played out concerning Rolston:

1) Another team claims him off waivers.

Pros - Entire cap hit gone. Awful player gone.

Cons - None.

2) Trade him.

Pros - Entire cap hit gone. Awful player gone.

Cons - May have to part with picks/prospects to make the deal work.

3) Another team claims him off re-entry waivers.

Pros - Half of the cap hit gone. Awful player gone.

Cons - Stuck with half the cap hit.

4) Send him to Albany.

Pros - Awful player gone.

Cons - Entire cap hit stays.

5) Keep him in the lineup.

Pros - None.

Cons - Entire cap hit stays. Awful player stays.

Sound about right? If I haven't missed anything, I'd assume Lou is probably working his way down a list like this, trying to get as favorable an outcome as possible to this craptastic situation.