DEVILS SUPPORTERS SECTION - August 16th - come name the section and p

Satans Hockey

While I support this sections efforts, you need to work out some of the other kinks.

Although this is an alleged "standing section", I see too many people "just standing" and NOT actually cheering which serves no purpose. Most of the people sitting from my purview were actually quite vocal and chanting more than most.

Good luck on the future games as I agree with Biggie on most counts.

This is good for the Team.

While I support this sections efforts, you need to work out some of the other kinks.

Although this is an alleged "standing section", I see too many people "just standing" and NOT actually cheering which serves no purpose. Most of the people sitting from my purview were actually quite vocal and chanting more than most.

Good luck on the future games as I agree with Biggie on most counts.

This is good for the Team.

Very true on this. I know I have been hard on the section lately, but I just do not want it to turn into another exclusionist clique at the Rock who take every little crticism as a direct insult. If the issues are fixed as being worked on by Satan's hockey then I can see this being a successful permanent addition.

JollyRoger, you have never participated in the section, yet you are completely dismissing it based on the reactions of a few people on the board. I have been to a couple of games as part of this section and can confidently say that the amount of amateur coaching is no more, if not less, than in all other sections, both low and high. To the contrary, people in this section are preoccupied with chanting and cheering for the team. If you are the type of fan who wants to more actively engage by standing and cheering, give the section a try, you will be surprised how much fun you will have. If you prefer to sit, discuss hockey with your neighbors and occasionally cheer, than the section is not for you. We are no better and no worse fans than you. Please don't berate this section and spread negative connotations based on other's stories and your own preferences. They are neither helping the cause nor providing constructive criticism.

As for your final comment about the supporters section taking ALL the credit for any article discussing the "crowd buzzing", it is simply an exaggerated and unfair reaction to isolated comments on this board. Most if not all were innocent in nature and misinterpreted by others with preconceived notions of the type of people who will be in the section. Please don't take innocent comments and paint a portrait of egomaniac fans oblivious to the world around them. However, even if we were to assume there were a few people who credited themselves with all the accolades, is it fair to characterize the whole by the opinions of the few?

Last but not least, it is impossible deny the change in atmosphere that the supporters section adds to the Rock. I have been going to games for many years and the continuous cheering and standing is something that is quite novel and in my opinion a welcome addition to the otherwise lethargic atmosphere of yesteryears. It energizes the team, other dections, and really adds positive energy to the general atmosphere of the games. I think it is quite naive to believe that the players and reporters have not noticed "something" different.

In parting words, lets not be quick to judge the supporters section. It is new, but it has promise. We welcome all, including JollyRoger(lol), to give it a shot if you think it is something you would enjoy doing. If not, please support us by joining in our chants and starting your own chants from wherever you are sitting. The End. :cheers:

This.

I've just been throwing my opinion on what I've seen about the section so far based on the here, people talking about it, and from afar at games. I haven't yet said it's a bad thing, quite the opposite. I've just stated that it's clearly not a place for me, and I would be willing to put money on it that it's not for me. That does not mean it isn't for everyone, most people here seem to really enjoy it and that's great. Maybe there's some people on here that are more like me and wouldn't enjoy it. Think of it as if I deter someone away from it that is like me it could cause less problems in the future with people bad mouthing the section. And there are other people who feel the same way I do, just because they don't post here doesn't mean they aren't out there. I've talked about it with other people.

I think it's a great idea that has to start somewhere, and I hope it the best. (Pretty sure I stated that in my first post). I wouldn't sit there, but that doesn't keep anyone else from. (I'm not even able to attend games anymore this season anyways due to knee surgery and on crutches till May)

I just get upset seeing fans believing they're so much better then others and as DevsMan said "I just do not want it to turn into another exclusionist clique at the Rock who take every little crticism as a direct insult". Unfortunately the way I see it it's starting to turn that way QUICK. Hopefully it takes a turn otherwise.

I just get upset seeing fans believing they're so much better then others and as DevsMan said "I just do not want it to turn into another exclusionist clique at the Rock who take every little crticism as a direct insult". Unfortunately the way I see it it's starting to turn that way QUICK. Hopefully it takes a turn otherwise.

the reason why this is necessary and inevitable lies with the fact that seemingly everyone has their clique already staked out, and are eager to tear anyone else down who might be forming their own 'clique'. how there's so much disharmony in simply supporting a team, i'm not sure.

the supporters have been clear that they welcome anyone as long as they stand and participate in the chants. again, your problems with the fanbase seem to lie elsewhere.

the reason why this is necessary and inevitable lies with the fact that seemingly everyone has their clique already staked out, and are eager to tear anyone else down who might be forming their own 'clique'. how there's so much disharmony in simply supporting a team, i'm not sure.

the supporters have been clear that they welcome anyone as long as they stand and participate in the chants. again, your problems with the fanbase seem to lie elsewhere.

I mostly have just my gf and 2 of my best friends who frequently come to the game. If that is an exclusionist clique then we are a sh!tty clique haha.

But really while the idea is very good and in the early games it looked great, if you put yourself out there and some of the members maybe get carried away with the original purpose, then you are subject to criticism. It is how you react to it that makes up how you are percieved and while Satans Hockey has been very good with the criticism, he is trying to fix it. Others just dismiss the criticism as either lying or jealousy or take it as a personal attack. This is why some people like myself are starting to worry if this is turning into another exclusionist clique like the Crazies.

Edited by DevsMan84

I agree. Time and time again, the message has been that this is not a closed group of fans...of the 200 people that show up, I maybe knew 2 people the first time? I know a lot of people now, but that happens when people have fun and stand in the section each time it is available.

All fans want to feel like they're important, that's why fans tend to get jealous of other fans (Fireman Ed, Baumann, etc) who do get attention. It's also why sometimes the impact of the supporters section on the players can get overstated at times - like when people thought Rolston was pointing at them.

It does get petty - exhibit A this thread and exhibit B the stories I've heard about 233's 'crazies', just cheer for the team however you want and don't worry about who gets attention and who doesn't. If you want to get everyone else to start cheering then get a group of your friends and start a chant.

I haven't been in this section yet but had a birdseye view of the first game since it was right next to my section. I think the standing part of the equation is obvious if you've seen the supporters section or even read a little about it. From what I understand it IS 'family friendly' in that cursing and negativity aren't part of the section though Friday night seems to have been an exception for various reasons.

Now, it may not be kid friendly in that unless you go to the front of where people are standing and switch your seats with someone, they won't be able to see the game otherwise. I would suggest in the future if there are kids in the section for anyone in the front rows of the standing part of the section to switch seats with them as a courtesy, then maybe people younger than twelve can participate if they wish. And while this section clearly had problems the other day it seems as if a lot of the reason Udx didn't have a good time was due to a misunderstanding at the start of the game, I think his view might have been colored a bit by that.

And no this section isn't for everyone, doesn't make you a worse fan than anyone else if you don't feel like standing the whole game or cheering the whole game. I'm still debating whether I should get a ticket for the last game (on the sixth), I want to support the idea of this section and experience it on a good night at least once but by the same token I'm not by nature the cheer for the whole game type of fan myself.

Plus I already have seats in a good section (208), at least for the rest of this season. Probably the best thing for me would be to somehow wind up next to the section like the first game so I could partake when I wanted but not have to do it the whole game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I've met a lot of people since getting this thing going, all of the Devils fans I've met have been very nice and fun to talk to. I haven't encountered anyone like you described jolly.

The section isn't a clique, there are some people who have been coming to all of the games, but there are different people there for every game we have done. The section will never be a real clique cause anyone can join at any time, all they gotta do is get a ticket in the section.

I do encourage people to stand during the gameplay and the section is for all Devils fans of all ages because I don't want any cursing chants being done and I have told people to knock it off in the past when they tried to cross the line.

Now a lot of this can easily be fixed if we were in 1 section cause then the people who wanted to stand could stay in the back rows and the people who can't stand the whole game can stay towards the front.

The section is just for fans who want to cheer a little bit differently during the game, nothing more, nothing less. No one in the section is "a better devils fan" cause they are in the section. It's just a fun thing to do, that's all.

One of the Generals wrote a nice article about you guys: http://devilsarmyblog.com/2011/03/22/supporters-rise-up/

To quote the article: "Players can hear them up there and have mentioned that it helps give them energy and makes a difference in their play."

We take full credit for this article, the players' acknowledgment of the crowd in said article, the Devils' playoff run, and all other accolades in all forms of media that are directly and indirectly related to the Devils'. And for everyone asking to join us, the answer is no, we are way toooooo coool for you. Winning! :giggle:

P.S. We reserve the right to prosecute, to the full extent of the law, any individual of any age who has the audacity to make disparaging remarks or otherwise taint or diminish the importance of our unprecedented accomplishments in the form of slander or libel. :evil:

P.P.S. Note Extreme Sarcasm Above. :D

Edited by Biggie B

Hey everyone that big news has finally arrived, the Devils are hosting an event on March 30th prior to the Devils-Islanders game to discuss the idea of a “Devils Supporters” season ticket section with “special benefits” If any of you are interested in purchasing season tickets in this section then please try to make it out to this event. Please call Thomas Stocky at 973-757-6179 to RSVP. You must call and RSVP if you want to attend. They would like everyone to arrive around 5PM to begin the meeting at 5:30PM in the Cure Club. Everyone should use the Mulberry Street VIP Entrance located in the front of the building and everyone who does RSVP will have their name on the list to enter through that entrance. Please only call if you are interested in the goal of what this section is about, this is if you want to CHANT, STAND, BE LOUD, and WEAR YOUR DEVILS RED PROUDLY throughout the entire 2011-12 season!

hey i can't make it on the 30th, is there any way someone can count me in for the season ticket interested, joe?

Maybe you can call the guy you're supposed to RVSP and tell him you want season tickets? I'm sure you won't be locked out of season tix in the section just because you can't attend Wednesday's event.

so are we doing any more supporters games this season? official with the Devils or not I would love to get one going for April fools day (no joke :rimshot: ) and get some real loud Parise chants going for his first game back! I suppose he could be back for the Isles game, but seeing as our season is now all but over after the Buffalo loss I would hope they wait another couple days to put him back on the ice just to be overly cautious (and cause im greedy and want to be there for his return :pray: ).

Anyone else trying to get this together / is there a section were a bunch of you guys have been doing non-official supporters games from?

Hey, we started this whole thing when we were losing a whole bunch of games in December. We should come out on the 6th louder than ever to show our support for this team. We've been spoiled going all these years of always being in the playoffs. Let's show our appreciation and loyalty.

Also the Devils said anyone who is interested in any sort of partial plan(weekday games / weekend games / 5 game pack, etc) to attend this event as well. They are interested in getting feedback from everyone and want to tell everyone what they have planned. So if you can come then please RSVP!

I'm going to try to take an early train in to see what they have to say. Do you know what kind of turnout they are expecting?