Andy Greene Appreciation Thread

DevsFan7545

^^This is why you don't pay him more than 1-1.2mil. Worst case scenario, you waive him and put him in the minors. I feel if we get an offer that is worth losing a 5-6 dman at the deadline, definitely go for it. If we don't get any offers that are worthwhile though, we should resign him at about $1mil and play him on the bottom pairing and maybe give him PP time. I feel like it's not really that much of a gamble since his pay will still be minimal and we will be able to get rid of his contract by waiving him at any time.

If you fear lacking an experienced dman for the 5-6 spot, then by all means, sign someone in the offseason for around the same price and see who plays better. Keep the guy who plays the best and waive/trade/whatever the other guy.

Andy Greene is a good player.... he was paired with Tallinder who was just dreadful and now he is paired with a rookie defender with 12 games of NHL experience on a team that can't score where he has to play against the other teams best.

The Devils have scored the fewest goals in the league....of course his +/- is going to be the worst... he plays the most minutes

I know I am going to get sh!t on as I always do for saying this but I really respect Andy as a player and a person. He works really hard to seek the approval of his team mates and the fans.

He is a good player, we all saw what he can do last season. This season, its hard to produce as a player with the way things are as a team. Look at Kovie!

Like msweet said, the devils have the fewest goals in the league so that directly effects his +/-.

Devils:

GF: 59

GA: 103

Goal Differential of -44.

Sure, he could be having a better season. Last season he had 6 goals and 31 assists and a +9. Hes part of a team that has been complete sh!t all together. You can punish 1 player for that.

"There is no I in team."

Greene out - Salmela in ;)

3 Games Played this season. -3.

Edited by Quinn01

Lets get straight about this player and look at straight up history.

This is not his FIRST bad season - he's been consistently inconsistent his whole career with the exception of 3 months last season.

I get the market - if he wants to stay 1.2M is the ceiling, any more than that he becomes a cap liability equivalent of Clarkson (2.0).

Lets get straight about this player and look at straight up history.

This is not his FIRST bad season - he's been consistently inconsistent his whole career with the exception of 3 months last season.

I get the market - if he wants to stay 1.2M is the ceiling, any more than that he becomes a cap liability equivalent of Clarkson (2.0).

Not sure if you are saying he'd be a Clarkson 2.0 or if you are saying that is his cap number. I'd still be furious if David made $2 mill but sadly he's at 2.667.

Andy Greene will certainly get more than $1.2 million on the market. That's a lock. He could probably get $2.5 million.

Edited by devilsrule33

Not sure if you are saying he'd be a Clarkson 2.0 or if you are saying that is his cap number. I'd still be furious if David made $2 mill but sadly he's at 2.667.

Andy Greene will certainly get more than $1.2 million on the market. That's a lock. He could probably get $2.5 million.

I meant version 2.0.

I can't see paying AG $2.5 - even if thats market value.

For $2.5 M the guy should have a consistent history of being able to play 20 minutes - i.e. Salvador when we got him - and Salvador had a history in the league.

Nothing against AG on a personal level - but seriouslly - what has he ever done beyond 3 months to prove he can be consistent for that kind of cash.

Or is this purely the case of - thats what you get for $2.5m?

Edited by DevilinLA

I meant version 2.0.

I can't see paying AG $2.5 - even if thats market value.

For $2.5 M the guy should have a consistent history of being able to play 20 minutes - i.e. Salvador when we got him - and Salvador had a history in the league.

Nothing against AG on a personal level - but seriouslly - what has he ever done beyond 3 months to prove he can be consistent for that kind of cash.

Or is this purely the case of - thats what you get for $2.5m?

Well it was an impressive 3 months. He's labelled as a "puck mover" and a guy who can skate. A lot of teams need those roles to be filled. It depends what Greene's final numbers are. If he finished at some historically bad +/-, he might be in trouble. Guy unfortunately isn't producing during a contract year. If he was a UFA, this past off-season...he would have got paid some serious cash.

Defensemen get paid when they are free agents. Seidenberg is getting $3.25 for four years. Shaone Morrisonn and Colaiacovo are making over $2 million. $3.6 for Sarich. $4 million for Tom Gilbert. Kurtis Foster put together 3 good months and got $1.8 million and he can't play a lick of defense.

And he was supposed to be our Rafalski replacement when he walked to Detroit...haha!

Nobody ever tagged Greene as Rafalski's replacement. Greene was a player who everybody looked at in the same light as Mottau until he had a great start to last season. Nobody ever compared Greene to Rafalski.

Nobody ever tagged Greene as Rafalski's replacement. Greene was a player who everybody looked at in the same light as Mottau until he had a great start to last season. Nobody ever compared Greene to Rafalski.

Until now!

Andy Greene and Brian Rafalski are both great at being physically overwhelmed by mid-sized NHLers, turning the puck over in their own end and hitting shin pads with their point shots.

Come to think of it, there's a pretty darn good comparison there! Maybe the Red Wings will sign Greene for some ridiculous amount of money.