GDT - 12/23/10 - NYI@NJD

Devs4LordStanley

Look, the Devils were dreadful in tonight's first period but they brought it for the rest of the game and were let down by the goaltending.

They might have brought it in the rest of the game but they still only scored 1 goal. It doesn't matter who is in net, if we can only score 1 or 2 goals every game it's not going to cut it.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow this team sucks!

the islanders have there number though, this outcome does not surprise me in the least.

too bad lou did not move langenbrunner when his value was high after the olympics...

this team is just laughably bad, unlucky, no confidence... amazing!

from first to worst in one year!

hope lou does not have a nervous breakdown...

I don't know how many times I can say this. I'm not saying the team is completely responsible for Marty's game. He hasn't been as good this year. No arguments there. But this nonsense that he is completely finished and he should become goaltending coach...Where do you guys come off with saying this when the team in front of him has been so bad this year? How can you accurately judge this? Before the team fell off the rails last year, Marty was very strong in the first half of the season. It's why he was nominated for the god damn Vezina trophy. So in one year all of his skills eroded? I just can't see this. And after a shaky start to this season, he was playing very well before injuring his arm. I know it's been a while but take a look at the #'s.

You know what, so many of you are crying for Hedberg and this was the same board that was ripping the guy a new a$$hole the first few games he played for this team. Now everyone wants to blow him to high heaven. It's ridiculous. I'm not saying Brodeur doesn't deserve some blame here but there is a fvcking reason(s) why this team is the WORST team in the NHL at this moment and it doesn't rest solely on an aging goaltender's shoulders.

+1000000000x

They might have brought it in the rest of the game but they still only scored 1 goal. It doesn't matter who is in net, if we can only score 1 or 2 goals every game it's not going to cut it.

No arguments here at all. But to be fair, tonight could have possibly been the type of game where if they had gotten a big stop when it was 1 or 2 nothing, maybe they get some puck luck going the other way. They had a chance in this game, I think. It was a wretched start but I thought they played fairly well tonight, although anything is an improvement over their most recent efforts. Then again it could be that was just a result of playing a team nearly as lousy as themselves.

I really don't know what to think anymore lol.

Edited by Sickman

Oh for Christ's sakes, stop blaming everyone else for Brodeur. The reason he lost confidence is because he's realizing it's over for him. He's toast. Marty is becoming a huge reason why this team is losing games.

...Snapshot2010-12-2322-20-17.jpg

Just want to get one thing straight.. I have never been a fan of Brodeur's.. both professionally, & personally. I root for him, because he plays for the New Jersey Devils.. and has remained loyal for nearly 20 years. Beyond that, my adulation ends.

..now, having said that.. to say; "he's a huge reason why this team is losing games" is unfair.

#1- He's pushing 40. NO TEAM, let alone this one, should have to depend on any 1 player at that point in his career.. as much as the Devils do.

#2- We're dead last in offense in the NHL. 60 goals scored, in 34 games. It's pathetic. Last time I checked, Brodeur plays goalie.. not wing.

#3- Hedberg having played 14 games, has not looked head & shoulders better either. There's been a couple games where he's looked great, but you can say the same for Brodeur.

Edited by Beezer34

No arguments here at all. But to be fair, tonight could have possibly been the type of game where if they had gotten a big stop when it was 1 or 2 nothing, maybe they get some puck luck going the other way. They had a chance in this game. It was a wretched start but I thought they played fairly well tonight. Then again it could be that was just a result of playing a team nearly as lousy as themselves.

That shorthanded goal was the one that killed us from any chance of a comeback tonight. A good amount of people were screaming around me "wake up Marty" and "Iyla you suck" after that shorthanded goal. Yet Zajac is the one who coughed up the puck to cause the breakaway and then took his sweet fvcking time skating back to cover Nielsen. Marty made a big save and Kovy had Bailey covered. So Marty and Iyla take the blame when that whole disaster was Zajacs fault, yet not one person near me mentioned that.

Edited by Satans Hockey

That shorthanded goal was the one that killed us from any chance of a comeback tonight. A good amount of people were screaming around me "wake up Marty" and "Iyla you suck" after that shorthanded goal. Yet Zajac is the one who coughed up the puck to cause the breakaway and then took his sweet fvcking time skating back to cover Nielsen. Marty made a big save and Kovy had Bailey covered. So Marty and Iyla take the blame when that whole disaster was Zajacs fault, yet not one person near me mentioned that.

Zajac definitely did some lazy back checking on that turnover. Kovalcuk hustled his ass off but in doing so, I think he kind of bumped the Islander crashing the net, which caused him to slide into Brodeur and throw him a little off balance. Eh, I can live with that from Zajac I guess. It's a risk you take playing him at the point and up until today, he was doing very well in that role. But breakdowns of this sort have been going on all season.

yeah, that first period was definitely Marty's fault. anyone that thinks that is a fvcking retard. 3 was a bad rebound, but the last time I checked they scored 1 goal... again, so...

some of you people are going to get what you deserve. oh wait, you're already getting it. that was a total no-show at the opening whistle. but, new scapegoat by any means.

god, I hope they don't do Nieds retirement ceremony this season, because it's going to be an embarassment to the organization. need to clear out some of these obnoxious frontrunners who have no respect for the history of the eteam

Zajac definitely did some lazy back checking on that turnover. Kovalcuk hustled his ass off but in doing so, I think he kind of bumped the Islander crashing the net, which caused him to slide into Brodeur and throw him a little off balance. Eh, I can live with that from Zajac I guess. It's a risk you take playing him at the point and up until today, he was doing very well in that role. But breakdowns of this sort have been going on all season.

that was bizarre, Kovalchuk backchecking and Zajac not taking his man, or at least taking a penalty. that's like a one time in history occurance, like the time Haley's Comet crashed into the moon.

yeah, that first period was definitely Marty's fault. anyone that thinks that is a fvcking retard. 3 was a bad rebound, but the last time I checked they scored 1 goal... again, so...

some of you people are going to get what you deserve. oh wait, you're already getting it. that was a total no-show at the opening whistle. but, new scapegoat by any means.

god, I hope they don't do Nieds retirement ceremony this season, because it's going to be an embarassment to the organization. need to clear out some of these obnoxious frontrunners who have no respect for the history of the eteam

that was bizarre, Kovalchuk backchecking and Zajac not taking his man, or at least taking a penalty. that's like a one time in history occurance, like the time Haley's Comet crashed into the moon.

Glad I'm not the only one here who refuses to accept "reality".

The first period was brutal. The one goal Marty really needed to have was that third one. Like you said, just a poor rebound. Assuming they would have had the same strong 2nd period, 2 - 0 may have been possible to climb out of, I think.

Edited by Sickman

When did I say he was not a part of the team? Please show me this. He shoulders the blame tonight, no dispute there. What I'm disputing is your claim that he played like sh!t against the Thrashers or in so many other games because he allowed four goals or what not. The team in front of him was absolute trash that night. Tonight it was reversed.

Oh for christ's sakes, are you in the man's head that you can tell he knows it's over for him? When the fvck did we become mind readers here? Obviously he's lost confidence in his game but who knows what the reason is?

I don't know how many times I can say this. I'm not saying the team is completely responsible for Marty's game. He hasn't been as good this year. No arguments there. But this nonsense that he is completely finished and he should become goaltending coach...Where do you guys come off with saying this when the team in front of him has been so bad this year? How can you accurately judge this? Before the team fell off the rails last year, Marty was very strong in the first half of the season. It's why he was nominated for the god damn Vezina trophy. So in one year all of his skills eroded? I just can't see this. And after a shaky start to this season, he was playing very well before injuring his arm. I know it's been a while but take a look at the #'s.

You know what, so many of you are crying for Hedberg and this was the same board that was ripping the guy a new a$$hole the first few games he played for this team. Now everyone wants to blow him to high heaven. It's ridiculous. I'm not saying Brodeur doesn't deserve some blame here but there is a fvcking reason(s) why this team is the WORST team in the NHL at this moment and it doesn't rest solely on an aging goaltender's shoulders.

You basically used a whole bunch of words to just eventually prove and agree to my original point. Brodeur has looked putrid in three straight games. He was terrible against the Thrashers. I don't know what game you were watching.

And Marty looked shaky at times down the stretch the end of last year with some soft goals being allowed. Marty has shown the occasional flashes and strings of games the past few years, but watching him over the past five years, there is a clear decline in the quality and consistency of his play. It is unmistakeable and undeniable. People can throw out whatever stats they want, the videotape as they say, that does not lie.

And I think Hedberg is pretty bad as well. I don't like him and never wanted him signed. Another dumb overpay by Lou, especially when there was virtually nobody after him except Atlanta who wanted to keep him as a backup because he became a fan favorite and they needed some attendance help. He's almost as old as Brodeur. I only advocate playing him because a message needs to be sent to Brodeur.

I've been a colossal Brodeur fan since the day he was drafted and have a ton of his memorabilia. As a fan of his, it hurts. But I can't watch him like this and not acknowledge reality.

so... anyway, Tedenby. was he hurt or sick? because surely you wouldn't scratch the only developmental player playing for the team so Matt Corrente could play forward, right?

Maybe Lemaire just doesnt like Swedish players.

Glad I'm not the only one here who refuses to accept "reality"

I totally lost my mind at the game. I've pretty much had it with everyone and everything. :lol:

so, if he played up to the standard of these kids who probably weren't even Devils fans ten years ago, what would the score have been, 4-1 with an empty netter?

3 and 5 were bad. who cares about 5. but when Kovy finally scores a goal, we get the "Kovy, Kovy, Kovy" chant when Marty gets sh!t on by the crowd for giving up one bad goal in a nightmare of a period. fvck that noise. seriously.

Marty was bad on the last goal and started making Brett Favre-like 'who cares' passes in the third period but really at that point it was academic. What's he supposed to do when Kovy acts like a doofus and throws a guy right into him on a shorthanded chance :rolleyes:

I totally lost my mind at the game. I've pretty much had it with everyone and everything. :lol:

This x1000

3 and 5 were bad. who cares about 5. but when Kovy finally scores a goal, we get the "Kovy, Kovy, Kovy" chant when Marty gets sh!t on by the crowd for giving up one bad goal in a nightmare of a period. fvck that noise. seriously.

Actually I think the crowd was giving Kovy **** right after the shorthanded goal, booing him the next time he touched the puck. But yeah, Marty was getting it good even before he deserved it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

My point was more that people are awfully quick to jump on Marty and Ilya right away nowadays even when that play and eventually goal wasn't their fault.

so, if he played up to the standard of these kids who probably weren't even Devils fans ten years ago, what would the score have been, 4-1 with an empty netter?

You're just one of the bunch of fans who is giving Marty carte blanche for all the past years and his memorable performances. It's okay and I understand it.

I'm not blaming Brodeur for everything, but he is a part of the problem without question, now, and going forward especially. He needs to be sat for a few consecutive games and let him clear his head. If he comes back and plays out of his mind, he can make me look stupid and I'll be more than happy to do that.

But I think we all know that ain't happening. When you as a goalie only make 9 saves in the game, the team in front of you didn't suck.

You can't pin tonights loss on the team. This one was on Marty and he knows it. He even acknowledged it in the Post-game.

And if the "team" sucks so bad, so it makes a goalie look good, why did Dwayne Roloson play so god-damn fantastic tonight? And don't blame the rest of the team, because Roloson was superb.

You're just one of the bunch of fans who is giving Marty carte blanche for all the past years and his memorable performances. It's okay and I understand it.

I'm not blaming Brodeur for everything, but he is a part of the problem without question, now, and going forward especially. He needs to be sat for a few consecutive games and let him clear his head. If he comes back and plays out of his mind, he can make me look stupid and I'll be more than happy to do that.

But I think we all know that ain't happening. When you as a goalie only make 9 saves in the game, the team in front of you didn't suck.

You can't pin tonights loss on the team. This one was on Marty and he knows it. He even acknowledged it in the Post-game.

And if the "team" sucks so bad, so it makes a goalie look good, why did Dwayne Roloson play so god-damn fantastic tonight? And don't blame the rest of the team, because Roloson was superb.

THEY DIDN'T SUCK? DID YOU WATCH THE FIRST PERIOD? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

I seriously don't know if I want to laugh, scream or cry that someone is so dense to think their first period performance was passable. fvck, even on that third goal, which was an awful rebound, Kovalchuk didn't rub out the droppassee, WHICH WAS HIS MAN, and no one had the back side, so any rebound was being put home.

THEY DIDN'T SUCK? DID YOU WATCH THE FIRST PERIOD? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?

I seriously don't know if I want to laugh, scream or cry that someone is so dense to think their first period performance was passable. fvck, even on that third goal, which was an awful rebound, Kovalchuk didn't rub out the droppassee, WHICH WAS HIS MAN, and no one had the back side, so any rebound was being put home.

So that excuses Marty for not being able to make a save?

NINE saves the entire game. Just want that to sink in for ya for a little while. He had 11 save opportunities the entire game.

The Carte Blanche crew is out in full effect. What's next a lifetime appointment to the PP for Brian Rolston because he was on the '95 Cup Team?

Edited by coldply123

everyone, marty is older, he's loosing it, hate to admit it, but its not all on him. Defense doesent help him. that graphic on Vs when they played washington showed it about how the devils lost players and now Greene is the leader. no offense to him but Devils have lost a lot of great defensive guys. Add in the fact we lost other players, this all made me think. maybe those players we lost were the type that make the players around them better. I think we can agree such players would be Martin and Gioanta (spelling?). Do we add Rupp and a few others who are slipping my mind (sorry i drank a lot of beers this game ). Long story short, the devils arent coming out of this. They need a few big trades, trade big guys to teams in the hunt for prospects and just hope, hope the guys they get maek it look like a steal. Remember that eyar they brought broduer up and got stevens and someone else who is slipping my mind? that made them.

Heres something i dont want to share but will, im a huge huge Tampa bay Buccaneer fan, adn they did the same thing, one big year of pickups (footballs different its more draft picks and im talking 1996 bucs not now bucs). thatsall the devils need, and go back to defense, screw making the fans happy with a bunch of scorers. Philly won last year cause shots rarely got to their crappy goalie. and back to marty, i think hes just unconfident now or so i hope, as a buc fan , i can tell yo uthe hardest thing to do is get rid of a franchise player when they turn otu to be old. I dont think marty is just there yet, but hes close. The bucs cut derrick brooks one of the best linebackers of all time and fans were pissed but when he couldnt makeanother team, they were cool with that. Ask yourself before your ready to dump marty, "would some other team want him adn actaully be better"? right now i think a a lot of teams would want him, i think the defense is just so bad, hes lost.

thisis just my opinion from watching the games.