Brodeur should retire immediately and spare himself the embarrassment

'7'

uh huh. remove Moose's "week" from the stats and get back to me. if you can't see how fvcking bad this team is, I don't know what to tell you. which goal was Marty's fault? the first one with a blind turnover 10 feet from him, or the second one where 3 guys stood there and watched? yes, the third goal was bad, and any goal they give up is a backbreaker, because they've won 2 fvcking games where they gave up more than one goal.

you suck. I'm sorry to say that, but you suck, judging someone because they're having a bad year on a bad team.

alot of Devils fans suck. maybe an Isles like run would straighten people out.

it's a fvcking team game, and you can't blame the goalie outright when the team can't get their fvcking heads out of their fvcking asses 5 on 5. they're shaping up to be -100 or more 5 on 5. barring expansion, that's probably unprecedented.

You're an idiot. I'm sorry to say that, but you're an idiot, thinking that Brodeur is letting up goals that he would have stopped in his sleep 2 seasons ago because the team in front of him isn't as good as it has been his entire career.

Hmm, I wonder why goalies on really bad teams throughout the years don't have stats like Brodeur has this season? I wonder why Roloson has a .920 save % on the Islanders while Brodeur is at .884? So get your head out of your ass, and realize that Brodeur (as well as the rest of the team) is having a horrendous season. There is absolutely no shame in being a Devils fan and saying that. Noone should be afraid to say that right now, and you should reexamine your line of thinking when blasting people for this exact reason.

Edited by Amberite

It's a total lack of respect. It's a sign of 20 something spoiled brat sh!tty Devils fans who won't be watching this team a year from now anyway. this team is like the worst 5 on 5 team in the history of modern hockey, you can roll any fvcking goalie in the world out there, and they'd suck.

I understand it's NJDevs, the Marty hating website, but it's a fvcking embarassment. I'd eat 10 bad years just so some of you people have to actually live through it (well, the 4 that aren't bandwagon jumpers) and appreciate what you had. because that ain't coming back anytime soon.

More people with a brain. Good post, these jokers posing as "fans" are a disgrace...

Get off your high horse. If you can't see that Marty has been horrid this season, then you're blind. There are some fans on this board who panic way too easily, and then there are fans like you who are so caught up in proving themselves real fans that they'll take any excuse to blast other fans. The fact that this team sucks and that most of our players are playing like SH!T is undisputed, so stop shoving it in people's faces. Marty sucking is not, as you would like to believe, a direct result of that sucking. Marty is part of the problem this year, not a victim of it.

Marty has not had a great season, but guess what? You put him on some of the competent teams in this league and he would not look anything like he has this year......

did you just pick today to make terrible arguments or something? no one cares about last night, brodeur's been generally bad all season. so has the rest of the team. pointing out that brodeur has been bad and is not exempt from the old-man purge that will hopefully commence soon is not being a bad fan.

he's bad because the team is fvcking bad. Moose is bad too. he played at a borderline legendary level for 4 games or so, and his numbers are STILL atrocious.

there's a difference from saying "he's old and we should look in another direction", and the verbal raping that goes on here. you guys seriously deserve a decade long bad team to regain some perspective.

no one could save this. again, you're a stats guy, find me a team that finished -100 or worse 5 on 5 from the dead puck era on. that's where we're heading.

our PK is almost at 85.0%. yeah, our goaltending is awful. 7th PK in the league, -55 or whatever 5 on 5. yeah, it's the goalie, not something fundmentally wrong with the team.

he's bad because the team is fvcking bad. Moose is bad too. he played at a borderline legendary level for 4 games or so, and his numbers are STILL atrocious.

there's a difference from saying "he's old and we should look in another direction", and the verbal raping that goes on here. you guys seriously deserve a decade long bad team to regain some perspective.

no one could save this. again, you're a stats guy, find me a team that finished -100 or worse 5 on 5 from the dead puck era on. that's where we're heading.

our PK is almost at 85.0%. yeah, our goaltending is awful. 7th PK in the league, -55 or whatever 5 on 5. yeah, it's the goalie, not something fundmentally wrong with the team.

hedberg is a terrible goalie, so comparing him to brodeur is silly. his numbers should look the way they look. his numbers still look bad because he was playing historically terrible until that week.

no one is asking to save this, that's why your argument sucks. brodeur isn't good. unfortunately behindthenet is in the toilet, but i can assure you the PK has actually been legit good this year at shot prevention.

Edited by Triumph

You're an idiot. I'm sorry to say that, but you're an idiot, thinking that Brodeur is letting up goals that he would have stopped in his sleep 2 seasons ago because the team in front of him isn't as good as it has been his entire career.

Hmm, I wonder why goalies on really bad teams throughout the years don't have stats like Brodeur has this season? I wonder why Roloson has a .920 save % on the Islanders while Brodeur is at .884? So get your head out of your ass, and realize that Brodeur (as well as the rest of the team) is having a horrendous season. There is absolutely no shame in being a Devils fan and saying that. Noone should be afraid to say that right now, and you should reexamine your line of thinking when blasting people for this exact reason.

um, the Isles are merely bad, we're historically bad. I watched that game, Roloson did nothing particularly great, the Islanders are just capable of basic defense around the net. we don't even try. two things happen every Devils game, there should be a checklist at this point.

1) turnover directly in front of the net in the slot from a blind position

2) people standing around not clearing the front of the net.

they give up a goal on these two things EVERY game.

Marty has not had a great season, but guess what? You put him on some of the competent teams in this league and he would not look anything like he has this year......

Actually, he'd probably have the same record. Don't forget that Brodeur is facing the 2nd lowest SA/G in the league. On another team, he might not have as many defensive breakdowns, but he'd be facing more shots. Coupled with the fact that he is having trouble stopping routine shots, I don't think his stats would be very different.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought about this a little bit more. You're right, he'd have slightly better stats, but he would still be having a relatively below-average year as far as NHL stats are concerned. Many of the defensive breakdowns that lead to goals this year are shots that Brodeur would have stopped even last year. Yesterday's 1st goal is a prime example. Yes, Rolston turned it over horribly to give the puck right to the guy in the slot, but Brodeur barely reacted and didn't challenge the shooter AT ALL. In previous years, he would have closed the angles and he would have had a good chance at saving that. Yesterday, he left half the net empty, stayed back in his crease, and looked completely lost.

Defensive breakdowns are not a new thing in the NHL. Every team has them every game. The difference this year is that most of our breakdowns are ending in the net, because Brodeur is not bailing us out where he would have in previous years.

Edited by Amberite

hedberg is a terrible goalie, so comparing him to brodeur is silly. his numbers should look the way they look. his numbers still look bad because he was playing historically terrible until that week.

no one is asking to save this, that's why your argument sucks. brodeur isn't good. unfortunately behindthenet is in the toilet, but i can assure you the PK has actually been legit good this year at shot prevention.

if the goaltending is awful, it shouldn't matter. they should get lit up on the kill. the core defensive defensemen are good and the goaltending is at least mediocre enough to keep them from getting lit up on the kill.

the guys on the periphery can't play defense to save their lives or are outright not trying.

don't give me this sh!t that it's the goaltending when there is a situation they are capable of defending in. there is a huge disconnect between their ST's and their 5 on 5 play. it's a huge, huge chasm. I've never seen anything like this. the main problem with this team is the team. it's a broken pile of junk. and yes, he is slumping lately, but it doesn't make a difference. it hasn't effected the results of any games.

and it's hilarious this thread came up and not a peep was said about that pile of sh!t Moose gave up in the 3rd. now, in your case, you cover your bases and bury both of them, but I'm sure there's plenty of posts in this thread saying to roll Moose out there.

Actually, he'd probably have the same record. Don't forget that Brodeur is facing the 2nd lowest SA/G in the league. On another team, he might not have as many defensive breakdowns, but he'd be facing more shots. Coupled with the fact that he is having trouble stopping routine shots, I don't think his stats would be very different.

he also wouldn't have people giving up breakaway 2 chancers 10 feet from the net, and would have teammates who actually mark people and backcheck, and don't stand around watching the puck put in the net once or twice a game.

lol yeah i cover my bases i have been saying hedberg is horrible from day 1. try harder.

lol @ the goaltending being good enough - i assure you the devils are preventing shots on the penalty kill. also penalty killing SV% takes much longer to regress toward the mean than 5 on 5 SV%.

lol yeah i cover my bases i have been saying hedberg is horrible from day 1. try harder.

lol @ the goaltending being good enough - i assure you the devils are preventing shots on the penalty kill. also penalty killing SV% takes much longer to regress toward the mean than 5 on 5 SV%.

how so, exactly? I want to hear this. answer that without saying "well, the sh!tty players don't play on the PK."

they should be getting absolutely destroyed on the kill. they can't maintain any structure with 5 guys, why should it be better with 4.

whatever, you people deserve some pointless Isles like existance. you'll probably end up with a pointless Mets like existance, which is good enough for me, as long as you all suffer. you've all earned it.

how so, exactly? I want to hear this. answer that without saying "well, the sh!tty players don't play on the PK."

how about because the penalty kill is typically like 7 minutes a game and even strength is typically like 45 minutes of a game? the deviation in PK SV% is way larger than in ES SV% because teams play 6 times as much at evens as they do on the PK. why is ryan miller no longer a golden god? because he's no longer stopping 92% of shots on the penalty kill.

they should be getting absolutely destroyed on the kill. they can't maintain any structure with 5 guys, why should it be better with 4.

if you're going to use the eye test with 5 on 5 play, how about trying it with 4 on 5 play? the devils don't have a breakout 4 on 5. they clear the puck down the ice. they are doing a good job getting to the puck carrier and forcing the puck out of the zone. elias and zajac appear to be well above NHL average in SA/60 on the PK. langs and mair appear to be below average. tallinder, white, volchenkov all look to be right in the middle.

whatever, you people deserve some pointless Isles like existance. you'll probably end up with a pointless Mets like existance, which is good enough for me, as long as you all suffer. you've all earned it.

glad to see that this is your argument. no one thinks this team would be in the playoffs if it had another goalie.

Edited by Triumph

and it's funny Tri, because you're metric obsessed, and you're trying to use them on a team, that right now, is basically a historical outlier. I don't think there's been anyone this bad 5 on 5, and there sure as hell hasn't been anyone as GOOD as we've been bad. we're way, way, way off the curve. they've won 5 games and a few extra gimmicks, in 34 games.

they have 36 5 on 5 goals in 35 games.

they've given up 83 5 on 5 goals.

they are the worst offense and defensive team 5 on 5 *at the same time*. even the Isles, who are almost as futile as us, are a middle 10 team defensively. but yeah, it's the goalies. they're freaking -47 5 on 5 in 35 games. the worst team in 82 games last season was -48.

this is just a really, really awful team that happens to have decent ST's

and it's funny Tri, because you're metric obsessed, and you're trying to use them on a team, that right now, is basically a historical outlier. I don't think there's been anyone this bad 5 on 5, and there sure as hell hasn't been anyone as GOOD as we've been bad. we're way, way, way off the curve. they've won 5 games and a few extra gimmicks, in 34 games.

they have 36 5 on 5 goals in 35 games.

they've given up 83 5 on 5 goals.

they are the worst offense and defensive team 5 on 5 *at the same time*. even the Isles, who are almost as futile as us, are a middle 10 team defensively. but yeah, it's the goalies. they're freaking -47 5 on 5 in 35 games. the worst team in 82 games last season was -48.

this is just a really, really awful team that happens to have decent ST's

for the love of god could you stop making false dichotomies. if the devils were getting decent goaltending, they'd also be a middle 10 team defensively.

the devils are not scoring 5 on 5 for a few reasons - they're a bad shooting team, they don't generate enough chances, and poor luck

the devils are getting scored on 5 on 5 for a few reasons - they're not defending the front of the net well enough, their positioning is awful, and they are getting horrendous goaltending.

not only are the devils -48 5 on 5, but they are basically even in terms of shots on goal. that's totally unprecedented. the fact that you don't think that SOME of this has to do with goaltending is just putting your head in the sand. sorry, brodeur will be here next year, and he's not stopping 91.5% of shots.

for the love of god could you stop making false dichotomies. if the devils were getting decent goaltending, they'd also be a middle 10 team defensively.

the devils are not scoring 5 on 5 for a few reasons - they're a bad shooting team, they don't generate enough chances, and poor luck

the devils are getting scored on 5 on 5 for a few reasons - they're not defending the front of the net well enough, their positioning is awful, and they are getting horrendous goaltending.

not only are the devils -48 5 on 5, but they are basically even in terms of shots on goal. that's totally unprecedented. the fact that you don't think that SOME of this has to do with goaltending is just putting your head in the sand. sorry, brodeur will be here next year, and he's not stopping 91.5% of shots.

of course SOME of this has something to do with goaltending, he's obviously slumping. but it's not costing them anything either, it's just goosing the margin of defeat by a goal every game or two. it's definitely not warranting this raping of a thread, treating him like we brought in Mike Richter in his old age and he didn't pan out, so everyone gets their gut punches in on him for whatever perceived wrongs he did in the past.

you give 3 reasons for them getting scored on. if you give a decent effort on 2, the 3rd becomes moot. do you think Kevin Weekes was good a few years back? yet his numbers were similiar (or better) to both Marty and Clemmer, who both outplayed him by sight. the guy literally spotted the other team a goal every time he played.

what you're saying about the PK is utter bullsh!t. their goaltending is decent enough if a team that is THAT bad can have a top 10 kill. it says more about the guys who *aren't* playing on the PK than anything else. no team that is that bad defensively 5 on 5 should have a good kill. it's just totally illogical. you look at their numbers, and they should be WORSE than they are, record-wise. the only thing that has bailed them out into a couple extra wins is... of all things, goaltending. Marty played well in 3 or so games they should have lost and Moose obviously had a week where he gave up 2 freaking goals in 3 wins and had to win (and get lucky) 2 of them in SO's. THAT was the quality of goaltending they need to win, and Moose's week was some of the better Devils goaltending I've ever seen. of course, once that wore off, he got pulled in around 80 seconds the last time out and hasn't gotten results since in mop-up.

shot volumes are great. it's nice they can hold volumes down, mainly because they get the sh!t beaten out of them early in games and the other team hangs back. doesn't say much about the quality of shots. I know if I was a goalie, I'd rather face 4 wristers from the point than 1 of the massive fvck ups from the boards that has happened recently. if they can be sound on 4 shifts and then fvck up massively on one, well, I'd rather them roll in a ball and have a shooting gallery, as a goalie.

this is just another case of overhyping a symptom and not looking at the general illness. Mac was first, now it's Marty. I don't care how brilliant Lemaire is, good luck. this is unfixable. maybe they won't hemmorage as much as they have to this point, but they're going to blow the doors off Edmonton from last year.

"Martin Brodeur shattered his stick by smashing it multiple times against the crossbar during Monday's practice.

Brodeur's frustration boiled over after Patrik Elias beat him during a shooting drill. "I was just venting a little bit," Brodeur said. Although the Devils as a team have plenty of cause to be frustrated, this has been a particularly bad season for Brodeur. He has a terrible 3.08 GAA and .884 save percentage in 25 games. If the season ended today, those would be his worst career numbers with the exception of 1991-92 when he only played in four contests. Brodeur has allowed three or more goals in each of his last five contests and he has a 3.82 GAA in his last eight starts. This is largely uncharted territory for the future Hall of Famer."

-Bergen Record.

Nice to see you show your true colors...And if we're going for a Mets-like existance, we could sign Brodeur to a 10 yr extension. That would make you happy?

of course SOME of this has something to do with goaltending, he's obviously slumping. but it's not costing them anything either, it's just goosing the margin of defeat by a goal every game or two. it's definitely not warranting this raping of a thread, treating him like we brought in Mike Richter in his old age and he didn't pan out, so everyone gets their gut punches in on him for whatever perceived wrongs he did in the past.

you give 3 reasons for them getting scored on. if you give a decent effort on 2, the 3rd becomes moot. do you think Kevin Weekes was good a few years back? yet his numbers were similiar (or better) to both Marty and Clemmer, who both outplayed him by sight. the guy literally spotted the other team a goal every time he played.

what you're saying about the PK is utter bullsh!t. their goaltending is decent enough if a team that is THAT bad can have a top 10 kill. it says more about the guys who *aren't* playing on the PK than anything else. no team that is that bad defensively 5 on 5 should have a good kill. it's just totally illogical. you look at their numbers, and they should be WORSE than they are, record-wise. the only thing that has bailed them out into a couple extra wins is... of all things, goaltending. Marty played well in 3 or so games they should have lost and Moose obviously had a week where he gave up 2 freaking goals in 3 wins and had to win (and get lucky) 2 of them in SO's. THAT was the quality of goaltending they need to win, and Moose's week was some of the better Devils goaltending I've ever seen. of course, once that wore off, he got pulled in around 80 seconds the last time out and hasn't gotten results since in mop-up.

shot volumes are great. it's nice they can hold volumes down, mainly because they get the sh!t beaten out of them early in games and the other team hangs back. doesn't say much about the quality of shots. I know if I was a goalie, I'd rather face 4 wristers from the point than 1 of the massive fvck ups from the boards that has happened recently. if they can be sound on 4 shifts and then fvck up massively on one, well, I'd rather them roll in a ball and have a shooting gallery, as a goalie.

this is just another case of overhyping a symptom and not looking at the general illness. Mac was first, now it's Marty. I don't care how brilliant Lemaire is, good luck. this is unfixable. maybe they won't hemmorage as much as they have to this point, but they're going to blow the doors off Edmonton from last year.

There is nothing statistically or factually to back up your arguments. You are spewing hyperbolic bullsh!t.

there are lots of other threads here about how terrible other players are. brodeur doesn't get a pass. that's all.

i will not engage in a debate on goaltending that involves the absurd amount of selection bias that this comment demonstrates.

what you're saying about the PK is utter bullsh!t. their goaltending is decent enough if a team that is THAT bad can have a top 10 kill. it says more about the guys who *aren't* playing on the PK than anything else. no team that is that bad defensively 5 on 5 should have a good kill. it's just totally illogical.

i am too lazy to find you examples of teams that were not good 5 on 5 but killed penalties well, but i assure you they exist. there are plenty of counter-examples that also don't make any sense. also again chance is a HUGE component of the penalty kill, so it could be that the devils and their goaltenders are just getting lucky.

2009 LA kings were +7 on special teams and -34 at 5 on 5

2007 oilers were -6 on special teams and -47 at 5 on 5

2004 blue jackets were +8 on special teams and -68 at 5 on 5

you look at their numbers, and they should be WORSE than they are, record-wise. the only thing that has bailed them out into a couple extra wins is... of all things, goaltending. Marty played well in 3 or so games they should have lost and Moose obviously had a week where he gave up 2 freaking goals in 3 wins and had to win (and get lucky) 2 of them in SO's. THAT was the quality of goaltending they need to win, and Moose's week was some of the better Devils goaltending I've ever seen. of course, once that wore off, he got pulled in around 80 seconds the last time out and hasn't gotten results since in mop-up.

this just isn't true. if you take away those games from the devils' goalies, they would literally have the worst ES% post-1994, and it wouldn't even be close. are you saying that the devils' defense is the worst of all time?

there are some games the devils lost that they could have won if not for shoddy goaltending. the buffalo 5-4 game, for instance. the colorado 3-2 game. and so on.

yay more selection bias

i bet they won't. they are a much better team than last year's edmonton team. much, much better.

Edited by Triumph

there are lots of other threads here about how terrible other players are. brodeur doesn't get a pass. that's all.

i will not engage in a debate on goaltending that involves the absurd amount of selection bias that this comment demonstrates.

i am too lazy to find you examples of teams that were not good 5 on 5 but killed penalties well, but i assure you they exist. there are plenty of counter-examples that also don't make any sense. also again chance is a HUGE component of the penalty kill, so it could be that the devils and their goaltenders are just getting lucky.

2009 LA kings were +7 on special teams and -34 at 5 on 5

2007 oilers were -6 on special teams and -47 at 5 on 5

2004 blue jackets were +8 on special teams and -68 at 5 on 5

this just isn't true. if you take away those games from the devils' goalies, they would literally have the worst ES% post-1994, and it wouldn't even be close. are you saying that the devils' defense is the worst of all time?

there are some games the devils lost that they could have won if not for shoddy goaltending. the buffalo 5-4 game, for instance. the colorado 3-2 game. and so on.

yay more selection bias

i bet they won't. they are a much better team than last year's edmonton team. much, much better.

they're already at Edmonton's # (which is the worst from last year, I assume, just from glomming through the team stat pages on NHL.com). they'd have to be a + team for the rest of the season to stay in front of them.

that ain't happening. it's just a matter of whether they're going to continue bleeding to death 5 on 5 or get less bad.

there's no possible way they can stay at their tempo (which would be more than -100), then again there's alot of things about this team that shouldn't keep up and they have for awhile.

and yeah, I do think their defense and defensive components of their game is getting up there, at least for this particular era of hockey. obviously stuff pre dead-puck isn't going to compute with today's numbers. the list of teams you listed is interesting too.

I hated the '09 Kings team, they didn't even try to play defensive hockey. bad enough to piss me off with no rooting interest.

the '07 Oilers team is the one that went on a similar run after the deadline to what the Isles did for about 6 weeks or so. it wasn't over a whole season, but I think that was the worst team I saw, up until the Devils run here for the first 2/5ths or so of the season in recent memory.

some good competition for us.

I understand it's NJDevs, the Marty hating website, but it's a fvcking embarassment. I'd eat 10 bad years just so some of you people have to actually live through it (well, the 4 that aren't bandwagon jumpers) and appreciate what you had. because that ain't coming back anytime soon.

And you're just as far off the deep end the other way as the original poster. It's not desecrating the symbolic Marty statue to state he's had a remarkably poor year and worry he's finished. That isn't that anyone's blaming him for all the team's ills, for crying out loud there's more than enough to go around, but when you're the last line of defense your mistakes just sort of stand out more than the next guy's. Especially when you give up seventeen goals in the equivalent of about three games.

It's not as if he's the only one taking heat, the Langs bashing has been pretty up there since the end of the season and rightly so, Rolston's reached the point where after two years it's just redundant to bash him, we're just counting the days till we can dump the contract. The Kovy bashing is getting up there though I think some are still reluctant to get on him because he 'says' the right things seemingly and endears himself with random stuff like the silly fight against Phaneuf but he's definitely hearing boos at the arena on a more regular basis.

And you're just as far off the deep end the other way as the original poster. It's not desecrating the symbolic Marty statue to state he's had a remarkably poor year and worry he's finished. That isn't that anyone's blaming him for all the team's ills, for crying out loud there's more than enough to go around, but when you're the last line of defense your mistakes just sort of stand out more than the next guy's. Especially when you give up seventeen goals in the equivalent of about three games.

It's not as if he's the only one taking heat, the Langs bashing has been pretty up there since the end of the season and rightly so, Rolston's reached the point where after two years it's just redundant to bash him, we're just counting the days till we can dump the contract. The Kovy bashing is getting up there though I think some are still reluctant to get on him because he 'says' the right things seemingly and endears himself with random stuff like the silly fight against Phaneuf but he's definitely hearing boos at the arena on a more regular basis.

The few fans with me at the Leafs game were brutal towards him at every turn. Not just booing, but really nasty.

Admittedly it has gotten pretty bad at the arena vis-a-vis booing Marty and giving him the Bronx cheers after goals that weren't his fault but fans are just upset in general with a team that's basically hockey's answer to the '95 Jets or the early '90's Mets (the 'worst team money could buy') and Marty's gonna take the brunt of it unfortunately if we keep giving up five a night. Hedberg got it pretty rough after his first start too though, that wasn't an anti-Marty thing :lol:

Admittedly it has gotten pretty bad at the arena vis-a-vis booing Marty and giving him the Bronx cheers after goals that weren't his fault but fans are just upset in general with a team that's basically hockey's answer to the '95 Jets or the early '90's Mets (the 'worst team money could buy') and Marty's gonna take the brunt of it unfortunately if we keep giving up five a night. Hedberg got it pretty rough after his first start too though, that wasn't an anti-Marty thing :lol:

The problem is that when the team is going bad, the nasty vocal fans are unable to be countered by the cheering fans because there is nothing to cheer about or use as a positive/optimistic counteraction.

I think Marty needs to retire and I've made my opinion ad nauseum as to how horrible he has looked and that he is partly responsible for the poor performance of the team, but I have never booed him and will never do so. But it's painful to watch him this year. Even more so when I see highlights from the late 90s and the various Cup Years as well.

Even guys like Rolston who has faded or Kovy at his worst I will not boo because they still give effort.

'96 Jets were the worse team, but the '95 team is a fine choice, too!

lol I keep thinking '96 was Parcells' first year for some reason...but yeah I was referring to the '96 Jets team, the one with O'Donnell, Dave Williams, etc - the $80 million spent on a 1-15 team. This Devil season really is that bad.