Should have postponed Leafs game / NJ.COM

Legion15

I shudder at some of the horror stories of the fans AND the players involved. That said, the fans at least have a choice. I know it isn't montetarily ideal to waste tickets for a night, but at some point common sense and sanity have to prevail, especially for those of you that had to drive - although the train has its own inherent risks (with delays and potential suspension of service) and I didn't even want to deal with that Sunday.

With all the off days throughout the season though you'd think they can be a little more liberal with postponing a game, even if they don't care about fan safety they should care about the safety of their players and arena workers, who don't have a choice on where they're gonna be that night. I mean baseball has far fewer off days than the NHL and reschedules dozens of games a year, you'd think hockey can reschedule a few :P

If you went you knew the risks, just like if you went to the supermarket.

No one held a gun to your head. You're no less of a fan for missing one game.

Its not the organization's fault. Take some responsibility for your decisions.

The workers and players who HAD to be there i totally understand.

That's a reason to call it.

Edited by DevilinLA

If you went you knew the risks, just like if you went to the supermarket.

No one held a gun to your head. You're no less of a fan for missing one game.

Its not the organization's fault. Take some responsibility for your decisions.

The workers and players who HAD to be there i totally understand.

That's a reason to call it.

Oh, of course. Because when I bought the tickets back in September and shelled out 500 bucks or so for the whole thing, I fully expected one of the worst blizzards to hit our area in recorded history and that the Devils would basically take a laissez-faire approach to running the arena/game and giving a you know what about the fans. The whole atmosphere was lackadaisacal. Security and help was really in short supply at the arena. And they didnt even advise of fan-related concern or promotional stuff until after the game. Poor job yet again by the Devils. But they did play the Devils Army commercial about fifty times by the end of the 1st period.

When it's your money on the line, you would feel different and I don't like you preaching from your pulpit out there in LA. Lou blew this one and he's lucky no one got killed. He's not alone. Bloomberg is lucky he can't run for Mayor again and Christie and his Lt. Governor have a lot of questions to answer.

Did Lou 'blow it' or did the NHL? I doubt it was entirely the Devils' decision after all, the Islanders were also playing at home and asked for their game to be postponed and the NHL denied the request. It's not like the NHL has a history of postponing games because of bad blizzards.

You know what he meant by 'knowing the risks', it was clear what kind of weather it was going to be by Sunday afternoon...yeah it sucks that you'd lose out a lot of money if you couldn't go to the game but it's not the Devils' fault if something happened to you or any of the other fans who went, I'm sorry. No fans should have shown up and then maybe the Devils and the NHL would get the message and actually postponed the game next time.

If you want to get on the Devils for not offering an outright refund instead of free tickets to a future game you might not need or use, that's perfectly legitimate. Other than that though, nothing was their reponsibilty this weekend.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Did Lou 'blow it' or did the NHL? I doubt it was entirely the Devils' decision after all, the Islanders were also playing at home and asked for their game to be postponed and the NHL denied the request. It's not like the NHL has a history of postponing games because of bad blizzards.

You know what he meant by 'knowing the risks', it was clear what kind of weather it was going to be by Sunday afternoon...yeah it sucks that you'd lose out a lot of money if you couldn't go to the game but it's not the Devils' fault if something happened to you or any of the other fans who went, I'm sorry. No fans should have shown up and then maybe the Devils and the NHL would get the message and actually postponed the game next time.

If you want to get on the Devils for not offering an outright refund instead of free tickets to a future game you might not need or use, that's perfectly legitimate. Other than that though, nothing was their reponsibilty this weekend.

You know damn well the team nor the NHL gives a damn as long as the dollars flow in for the ticket purchases, which happened well before the forecasts, as I said my tickets were purchase back in Sept.

They don't care if 0 fans show up, so long as the tickets purchased are in good numbers.

You're last point is my biggest peeve. And I'm sorry, but the team is responsible for the fans when they pay for the tickets and conditions like that. As paying customers, we deserve to have our well-being and financial risk insured. We had no idea of any sort of insurance or special promotion until after the game.

Poorly handled by both the NHL and Devils and many Maple Leafs fans there were incredulous at how sh!tty everything was handled and the lack of information and personnel.

Perhaps not Hasan, however, I wasn't going at it from a responsibility point of view - it's a public relations point of view. Could you imagine if someone died on the way to the game or home from it, whether it be a player, workers, fan?

Don't get me wrong, the game should have been postponed. Not because of the fans though, as much as fans rant and rave we ultimately have a choice on whether to show up. The players and arena staff are contractually obligated to be there and were themselves unneccesarily put in danger.

But postponing the game wasn't the Devils' reponsibility, it was the NHL's.

You know damn well the team nor the NHL gives a damn as long as the dollars flow in for the ticket purchases, which happened well before the forecasts, as I said my tickets were purchase back in Sept.

They don't care if 0 fans show up, so long as the tickets purchased are in good numbers.

You think the Devils don't care that they'll lose out on a ****load of concessions and parking by not postponing the game and having a crowd in the 2000's instead of having it be played later? They get money from that ancilary stuff too you know. Obviously the NHL could give two ***** until some PR disaster DOES happen to a player, worker or even fan coming from one of these games. It is an embarassment to have any game televised that has no fans sitting in the stands though, the NHL at least cares about that.

But I'm sorry, any fan that puts losing a few bucks > personal safety I have no sympathy for.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Don't get me wrong, the game should have been postponed. Not because of the fans though, as much as fans rant and rave we ultimately have a choice on whether to show up. The players and arena staff are contractually obligated to be there and were themselves unneccesarily put in danger.

But postponing the game wasn't the Devils' reponsibility, it was the NHL's.

You think the Devils don't care that they'll lose out on a ****load of concessions and parking by not postponing the game and having a crowd in the 2000's instead of having it be played later? They get money from that ancilary stuff too you know. Obviously the NHL could give two ***** until some PR disaster DOES happen to a player, worker or even fan coming from one of these games. It is an embarassment to have any game televised that has no fans sitting in the stands though, the NHL at least cares about that.

But I'm sorry, any fan that puts losing a few bucks > personal safety I have no sympathy for.

I don't want your sympathy. I knew the risks and took them, but that does not excuse the Devils or the NHL from this and you know it. I want more transparency, better decision-making, better command and control of situations like this. And the point in your earlier post about personnel is right on. A lot of people working at the arena were furious as well about the situation.

There's no clear-cut difference other than to say the Devils did a horrible job, just horrible. You clearly did not go to the game, judging by your post and I'm not holding that against you by the way.

The Devils are only doing some righting/damage control after the fact. Bottom line is fans always take it you know where in today's sports business landscape.

The Devils should have just announced BEFORE THE GAME that fans holding tickets to this game would get free tickets to a future game. This would have prevented people from risking their lives for fear of the monetary loss....

Bingo.

And it's not like this would be a huge loss for the team. Let's face it. This is a bad year. Attendance is going to be terrible the rest of the way, and that's with some price-slashing likely for some home games later in the year.

I don't want your sympathy. I knew the risks and took them, but that does not excuse the Devils or the NHL from this and you know it. I want more transparency, better decision-making, better command and control of situations like this. And the point in your earlier post about personnel is right on. A lot of people working at the arena were furious as well about the situation.

There's no clear-cut difference other than to say the Devils did a horrible job, just horrible. You clearly did not go to the game, judging by your post and I'm not holding that against you by the way.

The Devils are only doing some righting/damage control after the fact. Bottom line is fans always take it you know where in today's sports business landscape.

I was there and I agree with him.. You keep forgetting it's not the Devils call.. If they were to tell the NHL "There is no way we are allowing this game to happen" the League would consider it a forfeit..

Plus, a snow game means higher TV ratings because people who would have gone are now watching on TV.. And rating are where the money is made, not so much in the arena

While I won't second guess the call to postpone, that was an insane storm! We left after the second period. We knew the buses where shut down so we walked through Gateway to get the light rail to Broad st. The light rail trains to broad street all got stuck in the snow. They had us (big crowd on the platform) all get on a train that went underground to Military Park and told us to walk down Broad Street to the station. Easily a 40+mph head wind, zero visibility, and deep snow that was hard to walk in.

Not an experience I would want to repeat. There where families with kids, older people etc. It was really crazy.

Bingo.

And it's not like this would be a huge loss for the team. Let's face it. This is a bad year. Attendance is going to be terrible the rest of the way, and that's with some price-slashing likely for some home games later in the year.

While this likely is the best possible alternative from the fans' perspective, it does have its drawbacks for the team and the league. If the Devils announced this beforehand, then even fewer of those who actually showed up would have bothered. An already slim turnout gets slimmer, fewer concession/merchandise sales, less $$$.

Not defending that point of view. Just saying, business-wise, the way the Devils handled it probably gave them the most $$$. And after all, this is a business.

Either that or they just didn't think of it until the game was over. :lol:

Oh, of course. Because when I bought the tickets back in September and shelled out 500 bucks or so for the whole thing, I fully expected one of the worst blizzards to hit our area in recorded history and that the Devils would basically take a laissez-faire approach to running the arena/game and giving a you know what about the fans. The whole atmosphere was lackadaisacal. Security and help was really in short supply at the arena. And they didnt even advise of fan-related concern or promotional stuff until after the game. Poor job yet again by the Devils. But they did play the Devils Army commercial about fifty times by the end of the 1st period.

When it's your money on the line, you would feel different and I don't like you preaching from your pulpit out there in LA. Lou blew this one and he's lucky no one got killed. He's not alone. Bloomberg is lucky he can't run for Mayor again and Christie and his Lt. Governor have a lot of questions to answer.

I feel for you if you felt that you were going to lose your ticket investment $$$.

But understand the situation.

Lou has no say in calling the game - its Bettman and the NHL's call.

Secondly, I am sure that if you speak to Chris Mo. or someone else in marketing I am sure they would have worked something out for you (especially in these troublesome times for the org.).

Thirdly, regarding the "preaching". I'm going to be frank regarding much that I've read here in the last few months. I believe now that some in this fanbase need a good sermon. There are others here (namely HOI and maxpower) reaming the fanbase up and down, post upon post, for being spoiled brats and pussies. But, because my avatar says "LA" I'm not allowed to voice an opinion. Step off. I was in NYC for the blizzard, I grew up in the area, I remember when it WAS a badge of honor (334) to be part of the few who toiled out to a game. I spend an ample amount of $$$ on this team and would easily be a STH if I lived there. So fvck off, your fanbase is my fanbase regardless of geographic area.

So get off your NJ high horse, buy some season tickets, and stop looking for Lou Lams to solve all of your problems.

Folks don't have to blindly agree that players like MB have earned a blank check - he is sucking - but the lack of RESPECT for the players, builders, and management who PUT NJ on the map for the last 15 years is well apparent on this board. You are owed nothing - you've been paid - tenfold.

You want to blame someone - blame Bettman and Co. for not making an executive decision on canceling your game.

While I won't second guess the call to postpone, that was an insane storm! We left after the second period. We knew the buses where shut down so we walked through Gateway to get the light rail to Broad st. The light rail trains to broad street all got stuck in the snow. They had us (big crowd on the platform) all get on a train that went underground to Military Park and told us to walk down Broad Street to the station. Easily a 40+mph head wind, zero visibility, and deep snow that was hard to walk in.

Not an experience I would want to repeat. There where families with kids, older people etc. It was really crazy.

Couldn't just transfer at Secaucus for one night instead?

NJT: The way to slow(minded)

Edited by Marv4Life

It took my friend 10 hours to get home from the game and he lives in Colonia and takes the train. He coulda got home faster with a dog sled. ;)

A buddy of mine told me it took him the same amount of time to make it home. I'm so glad I decided not to go, I would have never made it home.

A buddy of mine told me it took him the same amount of time to make it home. I'm so glad I decided not to go, I would have never made it home.

Another friend who lives here in west NJ took 10 hours and his wife took 7 hours to get home. They had 2 cars since they started out from different places.