Christie and the Storm

This is absolutely unbelievable...

Gov. Chris Christie Friday extolled the work of his administration during the

blizzard, giving them an A for effort and a B+ for results.

http://www.app.com/article/20101231/NEWS/101231054/Christie-praises-state-s-efforts-battling-blizzard

When asked about mayors who said they were forced to divert their resources to unplowed state roads instead of clearing local roads Christie said, "I know who these mayors are and they should buck up and take responsibility for the fact that they didn't do their job."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/gov_christie_signs_letter_to_p.html

This is making me fuming mad. I don't know where you guys live, but down the shore on the Barnegat Penninsula, Rt. 35 (the ONLY North/South route) was barely touched for 3-4 days. In fact, Rt. 35 North was IMPASSABLE in Normandy Beach until 12/29. All local side streets were clear by Monday night (12/27), then the plows came through on Tuesday and blocked them all in again. The CITY public works crews had to come through again and clear all the intersections.

I know Rt. 18 was closed for days, too. There were major problems were on STATE ROADS, and this windbag has the gall to say the mayors didn't do their job. This guy is lucky he's got three years for people to forget about this.

I also can't believe that both he and his Lt. Governor were out of state during this storm.. Why do we pay taxes to have a Lt. Gov if she won't be around to handle things when the Governor is out of town? It's unacceptable

I also can't believe that both he and his Lt. Governor were out of state during this storm.. Why do we pay taxes to have a Lt. Gov if she won't be around to handle things when the Governor is out of town? It's unacceptable

This I have an issue with.

Quote from the article posted above from NJ.com:

"I would have been doing the same thing here as I was there," Christie said. "I would not have been out driving a plow. I would be in a room somewhere on a telephone. That's exactly the same thing I was doing in Florida."

He could have done his job from anywhere in the continental US. Same for the Lt. Governor in theory, although she apparently was out of touch.

Now, as to the actual results of the plow, he needs to scale back his praise for his own team and be more neutral in his statements. The state roads up by me were about as good as can be expected for a 25 inch snow drop, particularly 28, 82, and 27. But if people were locked into their homes on 35 and 18 was closed, he has to review them and hold them accountable. If he hasn't yet, and he's basically going on their word before reviewing everything, he shouldn't have said too much, especially trashing the mayors if they helped him out.

People have issue with a person spending time with an ailing and possibly dying father instead of being a figurehead during some snow?

Silly.

Who's his father? Goofy? He was at Disney World!

Lt. Gov Guadagno is the one with the ailing father. She was in Mexico. Christie left to go to Disney knowing the storm was en route.

Edited by ghdi

Who's his father? Goofy? He was at Disney World!

Lt. Gov Guadagno is the one with the ailing father. She was in Mexico. Christie left to go to Disney knowing the storm was en route.

Ummmmmm.....that's who I was talking about. Did I write "he".

Roads like 35 and 18 are county highways, therefore it is the COUNTIES job to take care of them and not the state. State takes care of state roads like the Parkway, Turnpike, etc. The municipalities and counties were not prepared and they are eager to go after Christie with the lame excuse that they cut their budget. How about these municipal and county leaders accept a pay cut like so many of us have in this economy and put that towards snow removal.

Plus, what would have Christie done different if he was here? It was a friggin BLIZZARD! Most people who got stuck should not have been out and knew the dangers involved in going out in this type of conditions. Like the old saying for snow, if you do not have to be out, do not go out.

Anyone can understand a situation where both the Governor and Lt. have emergencies and can't work. Probably anyone can also understand a situation where one is away, and then the other has an emergency so neither is around for some period of time. Whether this situation was exactly that, it isn't completely clear to me.

Potential state of emergency or not though, we should always have at least one of the two elected executives on active duty, if at all possible. I don't think anybody will dispute that.

Anyone can understand a situation where both the Governor and Lt. have emergencies and can't work. Probably anyone can also understand a situation where one is away, and then the other has an emergency so neither is around for some period of time. Whether this situation was exactly that, it isn't completely clear to me.

Potential state of emergency or not though, we should always have at least one of the two elected executives on active duty, if at all possible. I don't think anybody will dispute that.

If one or both were here in this "emergency" what is it that they could have done different than what was done given the conditions?

Roads like 35 and 18 are county highways, therefore it is the COUNTIES job to take care of them and not the state. State takes care of state roads like the Parkway, Turnpike, etc. The municipalities and counties were not prepared and they are eager to go after Christie with the lame excuse that they cut their budget. How about these municipal and county leaders accept a pay cut like so many of us have in this economy and put that towards snow removal.

Plus, what would have Christie done different if he was here? It was a friggin BLIZZARD! Most people who got stuck should not have been out and knew the dangers involved in going out in this type of conditions. Like the old saying for snow, if you do not have to be out, do not go out.

No they are not. 35 and 18 (and all NJ roads marked by a white circle with a black number in it) are STATE roads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_highways_in_New_Jersey

County roads in New Jersey are marked by a blue pentagon with orange writing in it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_routes_in_New_Jersey

No they are not. 35 and 18 (and all NJ roads marked by a white circle with a black number in it) are STATE roads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_highways_in_New_Jersey

County roads in New Jersey are marked by a blue pentagon with orange writing in it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_routes_in_New_Jersey

Then that is my mistake and you seem to be correct on that. I got some bad info from someone the other day and didn't bother to check.

If one or both were here in this "emergency" what is it that they could have done different than what was done given the conditions?

I'm not saying that there's something that they would have been here doing, I don't know the nature of the state's problems well enough other than that it was snowing really hard (and I doubt either exec had an answer to that).

My point is really about both being off the job at once. It sound like it was excusable in this instance.

But whether it is or isn't, the public just isn't going to care. It simply looks bad, that's it, end of story. Christie's real gaffe, in my opnion, was that he came back and praised the workers who dealt with the roads. They may have deserved it, but if any significant number of people were inconvenienced and feel differently, it becomes a political mistep.

Here's the thing... if he's out-of-state during the storm, that's one thing. But for him to come back 5 days after the storm, after all the roads have had plenty of time to be cleared, and say the state did a "B+" job is just a slap in the face to all the people who still couldn't get to work on Thursday. Then he points the finger at the local governments! "WADN'T ME IT WAS HIM!" That's character.

Now look at the guy, he refuses to admit he lied when he said he was in contact with Sweeney during the storm.

Christie, during a press conference Tuesday to announce the findings of a higher education task force led by former Gov. Thomas Kean, now says he never directly spoke with Senate President Stephen Sweeney during the New Jersey storm.

“I communicated with Senator Sweeney through my staff,” Christie said. “If I wasn’t clear on that, chalk it up to lack of sleep.” (source)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.